I'm Not a Killer

I don't want to.

Ada got used to the life at wherever she was. That’s not to say she didn’t wish she was back home, which she did, but she settled in more.

Nick was very nice.

And Serena couldn’t steal him off her.

There was one thing that Ada dreaded.

Killing someone.

The thought still sent shivers down her spine. Ella told her it would go away, but it didn’t. She was supposed to get over it. But she hadn’t.

And then…

Kieran announced she was going to kill someone.

She was going to kill someone.

Kieran had given her some papers, and she sat on the bed, staring at them. They showed her info about when and where she was supposed to kill her, the layout of the house, etc.

“Are you okay?” asked Ella, sitting down next to Ada.

“No,” Ada answered quietly, “I can’t do this Ella! But…if I don’t do it, they’ll kill me!”

That was another thing Kieran had announced.

Ella hugged Ada. “You can do it, girl! I know you can.”

Ada looked at her doubtfully. “Are you joking? I…I can’t. I just can’t. You might as well kill me right now, Ella.”

“Don’t be silly,” said Ella, “Why would I want to kill you?”

There was a knock on the door. Ella looked at Ada and squeezed her hand reassuringly before saying, “Come in.”

The door opened and Kieran grinned at them. “You ready Ada? I hope you’re training has paid off!”

Ada had hated most of it. She’s been taught the different guns, the different ways of killing people, the different places to stab them…poison…It had all seemed like a strange dream.

Now it seemed terribly real.

“Come on then,” said Kieran.

Ada stood up, trying not to show how nervous she was. She didn’t want to kill anyone. She expected the person didn’t want to die either. “I can’t do this…” she breathed.

“Of course you can,” said Kieran, as they walked down the corridor together, “Or else you’ll die yourself.” He stopped and added, “And I wouldn’t want that to happen.” He turned to Ada, stepping closer to her.

Ada backed up against a wall, looking away. “Me neither. But, this just isn’t me…”

“Better not say that to anyone else,” Kieran warned, “It’s lucky for you I like you.”
Sure it is, Ada thought.

“Ada!” called a different voice, one she recognised as Nick. She turned, relieved, towards him, pushing Kieran away.

“Woah,” said Nick, as Ada flung herself into his arms. “What’s up with you?”

“I can’t kill anyone,” she whispered to him.

“You can, and you must,” said Nick firmly.

Ada saw a worried look in his eye. “But…”

“Ada, you have to.”

“But-”

“Nick, I hate to tear you away from Ada,” Kieran said, looking annoyed, “But we have to go now. Come on Ada.”

Ada clung to Nick, like a rock in the ocean. But Nick pushed her away very gently, planted a kiss on her forehead and turned and walked away.

“I don’t want to,” said Ada, yet again.

“You don’t have a choice.”