Status: Finished! FoREVer

Picture Perfect

Things that can only be said in a barn

“You need to bend over more! He’s bigger than what you’re used to!”

I rolled my eyes and continued on with what I was doing.

“Anna, he’ll never come into your hands if you keep throwing them away like you are!”

Rolling my eyes again, I halted the 18 plus hand blood bay Dutch Warmblood underneath me. “Are we in a porn shoot that I don’t know about?” I asked my trainer. Why did everything in this sport have to sound so wrong?

“Annaliese!” Mother hissed from the rail, I wasn't allowed to call her mom...not that I ever wanted to.

I ignored her and kept my eyes fixed on my trainer, Rosanna. “Well?” I asked, a smile on my face.

“I think you need to listen to me and do what I tell you before you get seriously hurt,” she told me, her icy blue eyes never leaving mine. “Now, get into position.” I did so. “Good, now remember, on the back side of the fence, sit up and hold your hands up. Have a little faith in your body and in the animal.”

I sat up and looked down at her. “Okay.”

“How do you like him so far?”

The gelding shifted underneath me and let out a contented snort. I smiled and rubbed his crest. “He’s nice, but very demanding.”

She smiled up at me. “It’s exactly what you need.”

I looked around wistfully at the fences around me. “But he doesn’t seem very hunter-y. I think he would make a fabulous jumper.”

“No. Your mother will kill me if I let you into a jumper class. Just stick to hunters. You’re a natural..or you will be when you finally get control of your body.” She smiled. “Now, how about we try it again, only this time, lay down on him and keep your hand at the level of your eye when you’re not flying.”

I rolled my eyes and turned him around, mumbling to myself. Seriously, and people think that I’m strange.

“What was that?” Rosanna called.

“Scene marker and action!” I replied as the gelding sprung over the first fence. This is where I loved to be: on the back of a horse, flying through the air. It was the one place where I could have peace of mind. The one place where I didn’t have a care in the world…the one place where I could truly be me.

***

“Well?” mother asked from behind the rail of the nice, clean (by barn standards) indoor arena. I could tell that he was hiding her disgust and most likely either figuring out the best way to get dirt off of her Gucchi shoes or see if she can swindle my dad into getting her a new pair.

“He’s good. I like him.” I said while patting his neck before dismounting.

“And your opinion?”

Rosanna nodded. “He’ll do her good.”

Mom rolled her eyes. “But will he win? He needs to win Nationals. I demand perfection, and perfection is what I will get. My daughter deserves nothing less than the best.”

Dumfounded, Rosanna nodded.

Mother smiled. “Good. I expect you to take care of all the necessary details and get this beast home. Come along, Annaliese, you need to get dressed so that we can go dress shopping!”

Inwardly, I rolled my eyes and looked to the gelding’s almost-former owner. “What’s his name?” It was a fair question, seeing as how as soon as I arrived, I was thrown on top of him and told to jump (he had already been warmed up).

Ted Cooper, a middle-aged man that prided himself on his award-winning warmbloods, smiled pleasantly down at me. “He’s registered under A Midsommer’s Night Dream, but we just call him Puck.”

“Puck?”

Ted Copper’s face broke out into a large grin. “Yes, ma’am, he was born on Midsummer Day, 1985.”

“And, showing experience?” Rosanna asked, also ignoring my mother.

“Not a problem. He’s almost done with his amateurs and he always places in the ribbons.”

“Yes, yes…that’s all very well. Annaliese, we need to leave now or else you’ll be late for your fitting! I will not have my daughter look like trash for her Debut.”

I rolled my eyes at her and handed the reigns to my trainer. “Well, I must be going. Thank you so much, Mr. Cooper, for allowing me to try this magnificent horse out,” I said with a large smile. Mother would have a fit if I didn’t exchange pleasantries.

Ted Cooper took my out stretched hand and gave me a firm hand shake. “It was a pleasure to watch. Take care of my- I hand raised him. I guarantee, if you take care of him, he’ll take care of you.”

I nodded my head to him and Rosanna. “Again, thank you, but I must be off.”

He nodded his head once more before letting me go. I jumped over the barrier (much to mother’s disapproval) and quickly changed in the bathroom. I came out sporting a pastel yellow sundress, complete with high heeled shoes. I threw my riding gear and clothes into the awaiting trailer before stepping into my mother’s Mercedes Benz.

She flashed me a fake smile. “Are you excited?!” she asked.

I flashed her an equally fake smile. “Of course I am.”

She nodded and quickly peeled off of the property. “Annaliese, I am going to make sure that you look absolutely perfect for Debut. Christopher won’t know what hit him!”

But, I’m not perfect, I thought. However, I kept up my pretence. If I didn’t say anything and remained absolutely still, maybe this nightmare would end. Maybe I wouldn’t have to live this life anymore. Maybe I could finally be free- like my brother, Josh. If only he knew what I did for his freedom.
♠ ♠ ♠
And this is Puck...what I wouldn't give to have a horse like this.

Anyhoo, NEW STORY! tell me what you think! I'm up for anything and I promise the guys will be featured soon