The Hidden

Being Social

I woke up to the sound of screaming.

I lunged from my bed, dragging blankets with me as i went downstairs.
"They're little demons is what they are!" My new moms voice pierced through the home as i turned the corner.
"Whats going on?" I asked hesitantly. Their eyes turned toward me, becoming cautious towards the bundle of blankets and big scared eyes.
"One of the new comers lit a house on fire." dad said slowly. "Don't worry."
"Don't worry! He says." Mom threw her hands in the air and went back towards making pancakes. "This is a disaster!" They ignored me then, except for Clair, whose eyes haunted mine. I couldn't tell what she was thinking, but it made me scared. I hurried back upstairs and to the roof. Only glancing once over my shoulders at those cold hard eyes.

The smell of burned wood hit me as soon as i opened the door to the outside. My bare feet stepped into snow as i crossed the deck to the railing overlooking the town. The house smack dab in front of us was roasted, only a few bricks and steel bars remaining. I could tell why mom was pissed now.

"Hey." I whipped around, coming face to face with a boy my age. "Woah! Sorry! I didnt mean to frighten you." He backed off as i almost pushed myself over the edge. Big golden wings were sprouted out of his back.
"What the hell?" I was in awe. He smirked, his fingers traced the feathers before turning back to me.
"Im sam." He thrust his hand forward.

If he was expecting a handshake he came to the wrong person. Instead i just inched around him and headed for the door.
"Nice to meet you too, jerk." He muttered before pulling a letter from his back pocket. He handed it to me. "Party tonight at 9, a little 'get to know your enemy' fun time." He said sarcastically.

"As much as i want to be at a 'get to know your enemy party' i think i'll pass."
He muttered something uncomprehensible before smirking at me and lifting himself up and over the railing. Well, at least i can say I'm now fully horrified. Except then that would take away from the boy freaking shooting fire balls out of his hands. Jeeze.

At least i know it wont be boring here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got dressed and slipped out the backdoor, just barely missing the parents arguing about the welfare of their newly acquired 'daughters'.

The grass felt so nice beneath my bare feet. I started off into a sprint, leaping over a fallen tree that marked the entrance into the woods. I loved this. Running, being one with nature. But mostly being free from society. Birds whistled tunes above me, making me at peace.

I ran through the undergrowth cutting off the trail that led to my hideout. The clearing suddenly opened up to a huge lake. I slowed down, peeling the now damp clothing from myself.

I hopped into the lake with a splash, the cool water engulfing me. I held my breath for as long as i could before surfacing, the span of the lake surrounded me. I loved it here.

I would be just fine staying out here forever. A whistle sounded from behind me. I spoke too soon.

"What is up with people and sneaking up on me!" I hollered, turning around.
A tan guy stood on the lake shore with shorts slung low on his hips. I couldn't help but stare.
"Well hello to you too." He said cockily. Why was he staring?
"Oh my gosh." I turned bright red, holding my arms over my chest. I seriously hate this place now.
"Very nice." He decided before flipping his shirt over his shoulder and leaving the way he had came.

"Ugggg." I groaned, letting myself be pulled into the water. At least the last creepy guy introduced himself.

I dragged myself out of the water, less enthusiastic this time. My sanctuary isn't even private anymore. I adorned my soggy clothes and walked back home half heartedly.

"Wet again i see." Mom ticked her tongue but didn't say anymore as i went to take a bath. It was already night and i was glad, I never wanted to see another face again. Ever. Seriously, what is up with people??

I met with Clair outside my room when i was done with my shower. "Are you going to the party." She asked, giving away nothing of knowing about our dream meeting.
"I don't think so."
"It'll be fun." She pulled a dress out from behind her. It was cream colored and hung just close enough to show curves. She handed it to me, an apology maybe?
"I really don't want to..."
"You really don't have a choice. Its pretty much mandatory if you ever want to have a chance at a social life." She pushed past me and started pulling out sexy lingerie out of my closet. "Here, this will help your chance."
"Woah, no thanks! I'll take the dress okay." She stared at me pointedly. "Thanks Clair."

I grinned uneasily. I do not do well in social circumstances, and Clair knew it.
♠ ♠ ♠
:) Comments are so appreciated, because im not sure if people like it or not, and i love the support <3 thank you all :)