Just watch my wildest dreams come true

The Exam

I’ve been sitting with my whole year group in this exam for about half an hour since the invigilators said “You may start”. Just half the paper more to go. I need to move faster. I crinkled the page moving onto the next question.

A sprinter is moving at a speed of nine miles an hour. If the mass of the sprinter is 60Kg measure the force of the sprinter.

Oh God. I don’t know that. Another two minutes of gnawing my pen and I got it. Well, it was worth trying.

Kinetic energy = ½ Mass x Speed squared

So I tapped the figures into the calculator and this is what I got:

0.5 x 60 x 81 = 2430 Joules or 2.43KJ

I think that’s it. Oh well the examiner should give me credit for at least trying. I manage to work my way through the rest of the paper. I had the upper hand against the clock. I feel better at each question as nothing was too difficult to do. Yet. But the last question was a lot easier than I thought it’d be.

List two advantages and disadvantages of using nuclear power.

I remember this, I did it last night in revision. I tried not to laugh, revision actually paid off. Okay, two advantages: it is non-polluting to the environment and a small amount of uranium is needed in ratio to the energy produced. Disadvantages: Radioactive waste is difficult to store and nuclear power had the slowest start up time in demands.

Paper done. I sat there staring at the digital clock for about the half an hour I had left. Occasionally I checked the paper, but I didn’t appear to have made any mistakes. I’ve got high hopes about this. I looked around the room to see Pippa, Gerard, Peace and Ray. Pippa and I were both in the boffin class so she was also finished. The rest were hunched over their papers still scribbling away frantically against time. My eyes scanned the rest of the room and I saw Ruth; my hazel eyes rested on her for a couple of seconds, scorching her back. “Fail, fail, fail!” I chanted in my head but it’s literally impossible for someone to fail their GCSEs. So I gave up glaring at her and sang My Chemical Romance songs in my head, Early Sunsets over Monroeville, perhaps my favourite MCR song.

“Exam’s over” announced the invigilator. I blinked – time went slowly. I handed my paper in and joined the ever-growing group of students outside who finished. I found Pippa and the rest outside.

“How did it go?” I asked. Most actually found it okay.

“That was easy” said Ruth licking her lips. She had a shark like grin.

I decided to let my bitch mode switch on and put her in her place which she was asking for and deserved.

“Yes, but you were doing foundation tier. We were all doing higher tier, so technically you cannot really compare to us whether you found it easy or not. And yes, foundation paper probably was easy”.

I stretched a big false smile across my face at Ruth. Everyone fell silent. She flounced off and I could feel her humiliation. For a moment I felt bad, then I realised she deserved it after all she did to us. Everyone cheered for me getting rid of her.

"Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is dead!” remarked Gerard. We all laughed.

“She isn’t dead” said Peace in her attractively different Scandinavian accent. “But, she is certainly gone for a while” she added. I smiled again.

“Let’s all go back to my place and celebrate that GCSEs are over!” Everyone whooped with Frank being the loudest and everyone ran back to my house.