Scars

Couples Night

Scarlett woke up to the sun shining through her windows. The realization of yesterday was finally setting in and she knew she would have to adapt to life in Gotham without Jack or Chad, or at least a little while. Yawning, she tossed her covers off her feet and headed towards feeling a rumble in her stomach. She passed her uncle's "office" and heard him on the phone. She then heard her name, and "The Campus Rapist". Wondering what the conversation was about she leaned against the half open door and listened.

Carmine: Any details you can give me about him? A name? Anything? This is a tragic event and I want to know every piece of information that the department knows about him, as a concerned family member of a victim I think I deserve to know.

Scarlet knew why her uncle was trying to get information out of the police department. True, he was a concerned family member of one of his victims, but then again he also knew Chad and Jack was there trying to find him, and any leads they had would mean a quicker trip. Hoping her uncle succeeded in his quest of retrieving information she continued her way down the stairs and saw her aunt in the kitchen over a hot stove fixing some breakfast. She turned around once she saw Scarlett and smiled.

Shyla: Morning Precious, how are you feeling today?
Scarlett: I'm fine, Jack or Chad called?

Scarlett didn't like the fact that her aunt and uncle knew his real identity, but part of her knew they would keep it a secret just as she and Chad were. Shyla just shook her head letting her know that they hadn't yet called and placed a plate in front of her. Frowning she took her fork and placed a bite of scrambled eggs into her mouth.

Just as she was finishing her last few bites of breakfast her uncle came walking down the stairs and into the kitchen, he smiled once seeing his niece and then kissed his wife on the cheek before grabbing the cordless phone that was on the counter.

Carmine: They did let me know a few details, not much. He usually hung out at a club called "dirt", and he only went after girls who looked as if they were in college. They also said that most of the girls had only went to the club once or twice.. so he's probably a normal there, and waits for fresh meat to enter.

Scarlett just dropped her eyes in pure disgust. The idea of a creep hanging around a club every night waiting for a girl he had never seen before enter just so he could drug her and rape her was horrible. She wondered how he was able to sleep at night knowing he had probably ruined the lives of so many girls. She though, decided that this would not be the downfall of her. She knew it was bad, and would change her for the rest of her life, but it would not bring her down. She would be strong. She raised her eyes to her uncle hearing the tapping of finger tips on buttons. He was calling someone, and she knew exactly who he was calling.

Chad opened his eyes to the sound of his cell phone going off on the night stand. He yawned and then reached over and picked it up seeing it was his father calling. He hoped he had information that would help them. He answered it and watched as Jack slowly stirred from the other bed that was in the room.

Chad: Dad?
Carmine: He hangs out at a club called "Dirt" and he's probably a normal there. Most of his victims are first timers to the club, Chad.
Chad: Alright, thanks dad. How is she holding up.
Carmine: Ask her yourself, she's sitting right here.

Carmine handed the phone over to Scarlett, clearing her throat she answered only to have her cousins strong voice greet her on the other side. Chad's voice soothed her and she felt as if they was safe for that moment.

Chad: How are you doing?
Scarlett: I'm okay. How are you two?
Chad: We're good, don't you worry about us. Just consider this vacation for Jack and I.. you want to talk to him?
Scarlett: Please.

Chad tossed his cell phone over to the other bed. It landed softly beside Jack on the top of the covers he picked the device up off the covers and raised it to his ear, wanting nothing more than to hear her beautiful voice.

Joker: Scarlett?
Scarlett: Jack.. I miss you.

He smiled hearing her voice. It made him feel as if she was no longer thousand miles away, instead just a few blocks just as she had been during many of their phone conversations.

Joker: I miss you too. You sleep ok?

The conversation was kept pretty short between the two of them. Her aunt and uncle watched as she smiled ear to ear while talking to him. It was apparent to them that she was completely in love with a mad man. But what could they do about it? Actually, it made them feel eased to know she was with him. He may be one of the most dangerous men in the country, but at least they knew he would do anything to protect her. She soon hung up the phone with him and set it down on the counter and raised her glass to her lips taking a drink of Orange Juice.

The Joker dressed a little bit more causal than he was used to when he was going out at night. Normally he would cake on clown make-up and get in a traditional purple suit, but not this time. He decided not to draw attention to himself while he was in California. He dressed himself in a simple pair of ripped jeans and a black long sleeved top. Chad also dressed in something pretty casual.

Chad: Are we starting at the "dirt" first?
Joker: That'd be our best idea.

Chad nodded his head and then made his way out to the red rental car. He and The Joker both climbed inside and was headed off towards the club. It was almost eight at night, and both men was surprised by how packed the club was. No wonder the guy pulled it off without ever getting caught. The club was the biggest in California and was always packed. There had to of been almost 3000 people inside, most of which ranged from the ages 21-25.

The Joker shook his head as he and Chad stood in a line waiting to get in. They showed their I.D's shortly after and entered the club. A popular hip hop song was blaring and men and women swamped the dance floor grinding to the music.

Chad: I'm going towards the dance floor. You go towards the bar. Call me if you see anything weird.

The Joker nodded his head knowing that the bar was probably where it all went down to begin with. After all it had to start with a drink didn't it? He watched as Chad made his way through the other part of the bar looking around to see if his creep radar went off. The Joker walked over and saw many girls leaned up against the bar talking, but he didn't see any guys who really looked out of character. Most of them seemed as if they fit in. Actually, most of the girls and guys were linked together. They was equally as many girls as guys.

After several hours of walking around and taking in the details of everyone Chad approached the bar where The Joker was still standing. He knew by the lack of phone calls that he had yet to see anything either. Chad ordered a drink and then the boy smiled at him goofy.

Chad: Got a problem?
Bartender: I just wondered who was with the mysterious man right here. He hasn't spoke all night, I wondered where his girlfriend or.. boyfriend was.

Both Chad and The Joker had a confused look on their faces. From the tone of his voice and the way he presented himself they could tell the bartender was openly gay. But why would he question them as a couple?

Chad: What are you talking about?
Bartender: It's couples night!

The Joker looked over at Chad in a non-believing way. No wonder nothing looked out of the ordinary tonight. What rapist in his right mind would show up on couples night? He was smart enough to not make a move on a girl who had a boyfriend present. Shaking his head he started making his way towards the exit. Chad followed behind him, actually finding humor in the situation.

They arrived at the car and Chad couldn't hold his laughter in any longer as he opened the door and climbed inside. The Joker looked over at him completely dumb folded. What could he possibly be laughing at?

Joker: What are you laughing at?
Chad: That fucker thought we was gay. Do we really look like two gay guys?

The Joker wasn't finding comedy in the situation. He just knew that it meant another day in California, another day away from Scarlett. He just shook his head towards Chad who was now driving back to the hotel.

Joker: We'll try again tomorrow night, but do me a favor, and find out if it's some weird night before we go and waste our time again.

Chad nodded his head and then brought the car to a stop. Both men got outside and slumped into the hotel room. It was finally hitting home to Chad that they would be stuck here another day. He dropped his head as they walked inside. Both men was exhausted and wanting to go home, but knowing that they couldn't. Not until the job was done.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image