Be Silent

End of the Beginning.

The dew on the grass and the fog of the morning were Eve's only greeting as she walked out her front door to the bus stop. Eve didn't go far when she boarded the bus, taking the first seat up front. It was empty and would save her the trouble of having to actually talk to people. To her, this was just another start to an incredibly boring day of school where they go to learn calculus and trigonometry but several bus stops changed that.

A load of people gathered onto the bus at this one stop, but the stranger who sat next to Eve on the bus would change her high school life as she knows it. Feeling a tap on her shoulder Eve turned to look into the most beautiful face she'd ever seen. A regular Hollywood legend of a face. Curious blue eyes gazed at her as a slim, pale body scooched closer to her to peer over her hunched shoulder.

"Those are really pretty pictures. You've got a body made for a camera," he grinned.

Eve searched for the right words in her mushy brains and muttered a 'thank you' to him. He smiled and continued to watched as Eve turned back and flipped through the pictures on her digital camera. Small gasps would sometimes be emitted from the boy beside Eve and she would giggle at him which would in turn cause his to laugh nervously.

The bus came to a stop and all of the high schoolers filed off of the bus and Eve and the blue-eyed boy walked together up the high school steps.

"My name's Robby. It's nice to meet you."

"Eve."

Robby smiled at her before his face positively lit up. He looked over to a group of rowdy looking children who were eying the two of them and waved.

"Eve, I'd like you to meet my friends."

Robby led Eve through a crowd of children and over to his apparent friends. The boys had shaggy hair like his own and the girls wore heavy eye-liner and straight hair that swished in a left or right direction. Both genders had hair of all colours.

"Guys this is Eve," Robby introduced. They all waved and smiled at her warmly. "Eve, these are my friends. That's Andrew, Matt, and Tyler," he said, pointing at the three boys who sat on the brick wall.

"And these are Meghan and Jess."

Eve waved at them all and pushed back her black and turquoise hair. She had a slim body with relatively fair skin and black hair with turquoise bangs and streaks down the front. She was different from Robby who seemed to be the most different from his friends. He was thin and pale with black hair that covered his eyes. But when you could see his eyes, they were a cold, piercing blue. He had a lip ring that really caught Eve's eye; it sort of looked like the latch-on she was wearing that very moment.

The sound of a bell ringing echoed in Eve's ears and she dismissed herself from Robby and his friends before Robby grabbed her arm and turned her around.

"Would you mind if I sat with you on the bus more often? None of my other friends ride our bus. ." he asked and Eve noticed a slight pout on his lips.

Those beautiful lips.

Snapping out of her thoughts, Eve smiled and nodded at him. He smiled back and released her arm to let her crowd into the building.
--------------------------------------

They hadn't left their homerooms all day. Luckily, Meghan and Robby were in her homeroom as well and the three of them sat in the corner of the room to talk.

"Can you believe they still make us fill out these 'About Me' pages? I remember these from second grade!" Meghan exclaimed.

"They just need to occupy us. There was a fire here over the summer so this stuff will progress the rest of the week, unfortunately." Eve informed.

Meghan groaned and leaned back against the wall behind her. Robby looked up at Eve before grabbing her 'About Me' sheet and staring at it.

"Hey. You play guitar? And violin? And piano?" Robby laughed.

Eve nodded and at the back of her neck. Meghan and Eve watched as Robby continued reading. He read about how Eve had actually skipped a grade and was in an almost fatal car accident when she was five years old. He read about how she called herself an 'aspiring soccer player/ photographer/ poet'. And she was born and raised, or as she puts it, 'seed and breed in Pittsburgh' in a loft where her mother then abandoned her.

At that startling fact, Robby looked up at Eve who was already working on another 'Interests' sheet with Meghan. He wondered if Eve was ever effected by not having a mother and if she even knew anything about it. Always being one to take chances, Robby put the paper down and, in a meek voice, asked her.

"Do you know anything about your mother?"

Eve froze immediately and thought about the question hard. She desperately searched her brain for any over-looked answers but she found nothing. Page not found.

"No. I don't," she answered before turning and smiling warmly to cover up her distress. "It doesn't bother me though. She didn't want me so- -oh, dammit."

The pencil fell from Eve's right hand as it began shaking and then suddenly stopped. Her fingers uncurled and a frustrated expression settled on Eve's face. After several minutes of what looked like she was doing nothing, Meghan reached over and closed her hand for her, smiling gently to try and ease Eve's pain.

Eve felt so frustrated and angry with herself. In the car accident she was in, the impact had hit her so hard that it had damaged a bit of her left brain and in turn, she sometimes lost control of her right hand. She was often teased for it in school and adults tried to classify her as a cripple but she yelled and wouldn't let them. She could handle this by herself; it just took a lot of energy and a lot of patience.

Robby and Meghan watched silently as Eve flipped her hand over on the desk and buried her face in the palm of her left hand. They exchanged a look before Robby gently slipped the 'About Me' paper back onto her desk and picking up the pencil that was left to roll and fall to the ground.