Crazy in Love

"He's a creep"

No one was getting any work done. People were talking, not focussing, becoming angry and starting disputes around the school -it just wasn't working. Matthew Taylor's disappearance was, at first, taken as a joke and something entertaining. He was quite known for his daring behaviour and party-animal history. But now, after people were being questioned and asked to write reports, the heat was rising. The atmosphere became tense, aggressive, and worrying.

So, the teachers have announced that school will be closed for the rest of the day. People are too distracted. There is no point in us staying. I know, from my experience, I definitely can't concentrate on work. Matt's in the back of my mind. Poor guy. Even though he is a complete ass in general, and for blaming his bruises on me... my anger has transformed into pity and concern. No human being deserves to suddenly "disappear". He could be anywhere...

"You're quiet." James comments as we walk across the parking area.

People are getting in their cars and driving away. Some are cheering from their happiness that they have been let out early, while others are yelling angrily or honking their horns with pure impatience. It's a mess out here. I stroke my hair back from my eyes and nod plainly.

"Yeah... sorry." I mumble.

James shrugs, "Don't apologise. Just as long as you're ok?"

"I will be. Thanks, James." I sigh and link my arm with his again.

It's become a habit to do this with him. He's so easy to be around - so easy to talk to. And as misleading as his appearance might be, he's got some muscle under these smart, baggy clothes of his, trust me. His arms aren't as twig-like as they may seem. And earlier, when I was hugging him, I could feel stone solid muscle. No joke.

"Ally! Hey, Ally, wait!" A voice calls me.

I stop with James and we both look back to see who it is - though, I think I already know. And yes, I was right. Warren is jogging away from the exit doors and coming straight towards us. I huff, turning away, and stroke my hair back stressfully. I don't really want to see him right now... what do I say to him??

But I don't need to say anything at all. James steps out in front of me and holds his hands up to stop Warren. He does so, and the two of them stare at each other.

"I don't think she wants to talk right now, Warren." I hear James calmly explain.

Warren's voice sounds bitter and deep, "Why can't she tell me that? Are you her little puppy now?"

I turn round to watch. All I can see is James' back, with his hands now inches away from Warren's strong chest. Warren looks mad. But not the type of man you see in any reckless teenage boy who is just looking to vent on someone. There's a deepness to this madness... I can see it.

"I don't appreciate your attitude, Warren," James confidently and calmly expresses, "Why don't you just go away? I'm sorry, but she doesn't want to talk to you, ok?"

"She can tell me herself!" Warren barks in his face, "Move, you little weirdo!"

"Warren!" I shout with disapproval, in protection towards James.

Warren looks past James and straight at me, "Ally, tell him to move. I don't wanna' hurt him. I need to speak to you - tell him to move!"

My jaw wags up and down as I try to locate rational speech. Everything is happening so fast.

"Warren, don't threaten me," James grumbles, "There's police in that school over there..."

Warren glances over at the school building. I can see him retreating already. Finally, I find the courage to get involved and I walk over to where James is standing to grab his arm and pull him back. My eyes lock with Warren's.

"Come on, James. Leave it," I advise worriedly, "Let's just go."

Warren looks more than just confused; he is offended, "Ally!"

I turn away, shaking my head. The way he was towards James just then... he's just like all the other judgemental, air-headed guys in this school. James is such a sweetheart to me; I won't take Warren's side if he's going to bully on him like that. I didn't see the face James made when I was leading him away. If only I had looked back, a second sooner, it would have saved all of the following mayhem and tragedy. But no... that's not how fate planned it. James was able to flick his tongue seductively at Warren, as if to mock him, and then he smells my hair and shows Warren just how pleasurable it is. I should have looked. I should have fucking looked round.

"Fuck you!!" Warren yells and suddenly charges.

James is torn from my hand and I see him hit the floor on his back with Warren on top of him. One punch, two punches, three punches. No, no, no! I yell out and try to tear Warren off of him, but I don't prove successful. James is helpless beneath him - his nose is bloody, so are his lips. Anyone nearby stops to watch, either egging Warren on or just watching out of pure astonishment.

"Warren, stop it!" I scream madly although I know it won't do anything.

Before I know it, the police are running towards us and tackle Warren to the side. They handcuff him, and I'm left to kneel down behind James and help him sit up.

"You sick fucker..." Warren growls through his furious, deep breathing, "You stay away from her! I mean it!"

I stare at Warren in complete shock. Perhaps even a little fear. I just can't understand why he would just flip like that. Maybe it was something to do with his eye illness? Can it affect the brain? Oh, what am I even saying? Everything is just such a... blur.

"Oh my god - Ally?!" Joyce's voice calls out.

She leaps out of her car and runs over to us all. Her door is left wide open, but she doesn't care. She kneels down on the other side of James and studies his face with some wincing and hissing of distaste.

"Shit... what happened?" She whispers.

I shake my head, perplexed, "I-I dunno'..."

"Don't trust him, Ally!" Warren yells to me as the policemen lead him away, "he's lying! He's a creep!"

"We should get you to a hospital. You're gonna' need stitches, I think," Joyce shivers uncomfortably, "Ally, help me lift him."

But I'm not listening. I'm still watching Warren being dragged away. He's not struggling anymore. It's like he's just... given in. I don't know what to do. I don't know who to trust - but all I do know, is that James is certainly not a creep. I think Warren is the type of guy who gets jealous easily... I can't deal with someone like that. I'm sorry Warren.

"Ally?" Joyce calls me, "Earth to Ally! Hey!"

I finally snap out of it. Together, we help James to stand and settle him in the back of Joyce's car. I sit beside him and hold his free hand, while the other is pressed to his pounding forehead; his blow to the floor must have given him quite a splitting headache.

"I'm sorry, James." I whisper, frowning at James' bloody face.

He tries to turn his head all the way but only manages a few inches. His eyes lock with mine again, and I see that sweet, soft innocence. He tightens his grip around my hand. I know he's telling me not to worry, not to feel guilty. But how can I not? Poor James...

~~~I love the way she's looking at me. I knew she wanted me. She just needed a little push. Something to help her realise. And now, she's here, sitting with me and holding my hand. I'd take on another fifty punches again just to stay like this forever with her. Look at those mysterious, brown eyes... those delicate, light eyelashes... that odd freckle under her left eye. No one else would notice those things about her.

But I do.

And now that she's chosen me over Warren, I've got her so close. So close to falling head over heels for me. I'll please her in every way, and she'll do the same for me. Together, we can conquer any evil in the world. Like Cleopatra and Antony - no, Adam and Eve.

I love you, Ally. ~~~