Crazy in Love

"It will pass"

I feel like I'm in a movie. A romantic movie. The way Warren and I kissed goodbye, it was so cute. So... romantic, basically. I kept telling him I had to go in, and he kept agreeing... but we were still kissing. It was quite funny actually. But then the time came when the worry of my parents seeing me kissing a boy in his car, let alone simply being in a boy's care, struck me hard and I forced myself to get out.

He watches me walk away and causes me to blush the whole time it takes for me to journey to my door. Using my keys, I walk inside and deliver one last wave of temporary goodbye. I close the door and lean against it to sigh dreamily. Wow. What a date.

"Ally?" My dad calls from the living room.

I open my eyes to reality, "Yeah?"

"Come here for a minute, Angel. We've got something to show you." My dad requests.

Pushing myself away from the pine door, I wander into the living room. I gasp. My bag hits the floor with a thud and activates the smile on my face.

"Oh my god!" I squeak.

My mum and dad grin at my reaction; my mum stands up from the sofa and walks over to me with the sleeping, black and white kitten in her arms. She's so adorable. So tiny, so soft, so innocent. We had a cat five years ago but he had to be put down, and we haven't had a pet since, apart from a goldfish. I called him Jaws - he got flushed, unfortunately.

"Your dad and I realised that you deserve some gratitude for all your studies and hard work for this year and last year. She's all yours," my mum cautiously passed the sleeping feline into my own arms; she stirred somewhat and yawned, so sweetly, "which means that she's not just your toy, but your child. You have to feed her, clean out her litter tray, play with her"-

"I will, I promise," I smile wonderfully at my parents, "Thank you, so much!"

And for the rest of the afternoon and evening, apart from when I had my nice, hot bath to wind down a little, I spent my time with my new friend. I called her Jelly, simply because it suits her. As soon as I looked into her eyes I thought of that name, so that's it. My little Jelly-bean.

So it's Tuesday morning already. Jelly is sleeping by my feet when I wake, and I do so in a very happy mood. I'll be seeing Warren today. My stomach flutters. I get up, brush my teeth, wash my face, brush my hair through, choose a simple selection of bottoms and a top and then head downstairs for breakfast. Eggs on toast - wicked.

"You ready to go, dad?" I ask, once I'm finished.

I always ask him that when I'm ready to go, really. I know he's ready, but I don't like to demand him, so I replace it with a rhetorical question. It's just what we do. Silly, I know. Along the drive, I watch the pretty countryside roll by. After my date with Warren yesterday, I'm really trying to open my eyes and appreciate elements of the world that I usually wouldn't take any notice of. His words still stick with me.

I kiss my dad goodbye, grab my shoulder-bag and scurry across the road before any oncoming cars get too close. It's a typical morning at my school. Instead of just staring at the younger boys and girls in their uniforms, I smile at them when they see me looking. And they smile back. It's rather cute.

I have just enough time to collect my books from my locker before the bell rings, then I head to my registration room. I expect to see Matt in there, in his seat, ready to stare at me as I walk in and make sure I feel loose in my own skin. But, thankfully, he's late today, so I get by with breeze.

One minute becomes three, three turns to five, then five doubles into ten minutes, and still no sign of our registration teacher Mrs. Kemble. Or Matt. Hopefully he's pulling a "sicky", then I won't have to endure walking past him around the school. My fellow classmates carry on with their indifferent chattering, while I just sit in silence by myself, fiddling with my phone. I send a txt to Joyce telling her that our teacher isn't here, and it's so boring. The bell rings, and everyone stands and gathers their things to leave-

"Wait, class," Our teacher suddenly comes in through the door, hands up, "Sit back down for a moment."

Everyone is a little confused and annoyed, but we all obey her and sit back down in our chairs. Just as two policemen walk in, my phone vibrates and I go to look at it with interest.

"Hold that thought, Miss Grovers." My teacher gives me an authoritative stare.

I put my phone away, just after glancing at the name - it's from Joyce, as I had assumed. Everyone sits, impatient, waiting for the policemen to say what they need to say. But something's... wrong. Mrs. Kemble looks sad. The policemen look to each other, nod gravely, and remove their hats.

"Well, ladies and gentlemen, uh..." The policeman clears his throat and stands tall; he has a job to do, "We're here this morning to announce to your year that Matthew Taylor has been reported missing since yesterday after school. He didn't return home and no one has heard from him, nor can they contact him."

Craig snorts lightly, "He probably got smashed and he's passed out in a bush somewhere."

Most of the class chuckle with him, except for myself and a few others. This isn't something to take lightly; it could be serious. The policemen scan the class, their eyes wash over me. Why do I feel so tense? I gulp down my saliva. Mouth so dry all of a sudden.

"If you know anything, please come to us right away. It will be confidential, we can assure you. We'll be in the Nurse's office all lunch-time taking down reports that you have to offer. Anything you know may take us a step closer to finding Matt." The policeman on the left explains seriously.

"That's all, class," Mrs. Kemble sighs gloomily, "You're free to go."

I get up with everyone else and shuffle along behind the queue towards the exit door. I end up being last in line, great. More time feeling like a criminal in front of these policemen. Not long now - just a second away from the doorway.

"Alicia?" My teacher calls me; I turn nervously.

"We would like a few minutes with you, actually, Miss Grovers." The policeman on the right, the larger of the two, announces to me.

I nod and wander back into the main area of the room. My finger tips fiddle with my bag behind my back like mad. I feel so hot.

"We spoke to Matthew's mother... she said that on Monday night, he went home with fresh bruising on his face. When she approached him about it, he told her that you, Alicia Grovers, caused them. We also found a strand of your hair on his t-shirt, drenched in chlorine. This hair was identical to the hair we collected from the main office, on an elastic band you borrowed to "practise gymnastics" after school a week ago. Would you care to expand on the story?"

Woah, they've really managed to go their research, and in just half a day and a night, too! My lips hang agape. I can't believe this. What a slimy, sneaky, sly little rodent you are Matthew Taylor!

"Speak, Alicia," My teacher anxiously hisses to me, "explain this. You do realise this could make you a suspect..."

"Mrs. Kemble is right, Alicia," The slimmer policeman agrees, "anything you have to say is very important right now. I suggest you take your time carefully."

I'm so appalled by this whole situation that it takes me a moment to capture my rationality and senses again. I take a deep breath and hold up my left hand to point innocently.

"I... I did cause the bruises, yes... but"-

"So you did attack Matthew?" The large policeman cut me off.

I stand up tall in my distress and desperation, "A-absolutely not! It was self defence! I was swimming when he suddenly arrived and he- he kept pestering me- h-he wouldn't leave me alone so I panicked. I-I hit him with my goggles and then he came back again, so we fell into the pool. I managed to get away and... left immediately."

The policemen and my teacher study me in an odd silence. They don't look very convinced, but they don't appear as though they are totally against my story either. Mrs. Kemble just looks utterly worried for my sake, and is shocked by what she has just heard. She believes me. I know she does.

"I swear to you!" I exclaim; my voice is shaking now, and my hands are trembling, "I'm sorry that he's gone missing and that I hit him like that, but I have nothing to do with him disappearing! You can't honestly think I do...??"

To prove myself, I pull away the shoulder of my jacket and reveal the bruises along my neck and the bloody bite mark on my shoulder-blade. Mrs. Kemble sniffles an almost inaudible gasp, while the policemen purse their lips guiltily. I let my jacket fall back in place and try to hold back the water from my eyes.

"He attacked me first..." I conclude honestly; they have to believe me.

The policemen look to each other. Finally, they end the suspenseful silence by nodding, then shifting their feet as an announcement that the talk is over. I'm so relieved I nearly start to cry.

"Very well," The slender policeman tells me, "Thank you for your time. You're free to go."

I rush out of the classroom and break out into the hallway, where I gasp for air. I lean against the lock and shut my eyes. God, that was so nerve-wrecking. I can't believe Matthew actually tried to pin the blame on me...

"Ally?" James' voice came into my clouded mind.

My eyes snap open and I see him standing in front of me. Before I can think, I have thrown myself into him and buried my face into his chest. He hugs me back, as I fight back my tears.

"Uh... it's ok... don't worry, whatever it is, I'm sure it will pass... It will pass." James tries to softly comfort me.

"No," I shake my head and try to pull back, but James holds me quite tightly, "James, let me go... I can't breathe."

Finally, he releases me, but in the process he accidentally snags some of my hair on the buckle of his bag strap on his right shoulder. I hiss, wince, and James peels the hair out guiltily.

"Crap, sorry Ally," He utters, "Are you ok?"

I sigh and roll my eyes. Then, I see Warren coming round the corner, with a teacher and two policemen behind him. Everything in my mind freezes, even my heart feels like it's stopped. The only thing I can think about is the way Warren looked when I told him what Matt had done to me... he wanted revenge. He wanted to get him.

Warren's eyes locked with my stunned, doubtful ones as he was led past James and I. I don't know why I was suspicious of him, but he was the only one who knew. He was the only person, as far as I know, who would have a great enough reason to cause damage to Matt. I shake my head a little; Warren looks desperate, but he knows he can't stop to talk to me. I watch him go...

"He wouldn't..." I utter to myself, under my breath.

James laces his fingers with mine as Warren looks back at us both. I don't even think about it; I'm still overwhelmed by the possibility of what I'm thinking. Did Warren do something to Matt?

~~~Look at the jealousy on his face. He can't stand that I'm here, holding Ally's hand. He can't stand that I'm the one comforting her while he's dragged away like a criminal. This is just... perfect. And Ally's hand is even softer than I remember.

Warren, mate - you're finished. That's it, keep watching. I'll give you one of my crafty, spiteful little smiles. Ally won't see; I'm behind her. Then go on, react. Curse at me, do something that will make Ally dislike you even more, and the police have to use some real force. That will be perfect.

Damn. He's a strong one. Maybe next time, Warren old mate. But for now, I'll stay here with Ally and make sure she's perfectly fine. God, her hair smells great. I'll have to keep these strands, just for now, until I can stroke her hair properly to please her. Oh, Ally, it's so hard to behave around you. I want you so badly, it hurts.~~~