Hard to Say I Do, When I Don't

Chapter 6

Mason was shocked at the lycan walked into the throne room; she was beautiful in a wild way that Mason had never seen before. Her hair fell in untamed brown waves around her face and her green eyes were a fierce emerald fire. Her thin lips were drawn tight, but Mason could see small smile lines around her mouth. Her skin was light, but her muscles were strong beneath her flesh, flexing with her every move.

Mason was so distracted by her beauty that at first he didn’t notice her companion. He was as taken back with her escort as he was with her looks. He has expected a maid, at most, but instead the lycan had a man with her. His reddish-brown hair was carelessly swept away from his eyes, which were a much darker brown than his hair. He smiled as he walked, making crinkles near his eyes and showing his dimples. If he felt any fear at being the presence of two powerful vampires, he did not show it.

The pair reached the thrones where Mason and his father resided and the female gave a little nod. It was not a bow, but a show of respect for the king and prince, despite the fact that they were equals as leaders.

“I’m glad to see you safely made it, Ember,” Draegan began, “I was beginning to worry. I have wanted peace with your kind for many years. My brother … he had no right for war against your people.”

Mason watched as the girl’s eyes revealed some of the pain she felt at the mention of the war.

“That war was a tragedy for all lycans, so many were killed …” She paused, her emotions clear in her eyes, those green fires pulsed with the scars the war had left behind.

“I’m here for peace,” She continued more firmly, “Peace for the Pack. We have not been home in so long.”

Draegan nodded in agreement, “These past years have been hard, on both peoples. Many vampires do not believe true peace can be made. This marriage will change that. Vampires and lycans alike will see that we can live together, our differences are not that great.”

Mason studied the female closely. He was somewhat appalled by how much her eyes gave away. Every emotion was clearly defined, floating right on the surface.

Mason pondered her inability to hide her feelings. Vampires were notoriously good at concealing what they both thought and felt. Their blood red eyes rarely gave away anything. But this lycan’s eyes were so different to Mason; he could read every little thought or feeling that crossed her mind.

And right now, written clear as day in her eyes was one emotion Mason himself was feeling too – doubt.
♠ ♠ ♠
Special thanks to Mia chan and shadow_seeker! i <3 comments!