I'll Take My Chances

Twenty-Three

I was worried. I exchanged a glance with Hermione and then looked at Emily. “Someone else had to put his name in there.” I said, shaking my head. “Harry couldn’t have done it.”

Emily nodded in agreement. “There’s no way.”

I noticed Ron was strangely silent, but didn’t bother him. I was too busy worrying about Harry. I needed to speak with Cedric as soon as I could. I hoped he didn’t think Harry had purposely entered. Dumbledore released the rest of us moments later before sweeping into the chamber the champions had entered.

“You guys go ahead.” I said, exiting the Great Hall. “I’m going to wait here for Harry and Cedric.” I leaned against the stone wall next to the wooden doors.

“We’ll wait too. I’m sure Harry is just as confused as we are.” Hermione put in. She took a place on the wall next to me as Emily sunk down into a sitting position.

“I’ll see you all later. I’m going to the Common Room.” Ron muttered. Before any of us could say anything, he turned on his heel and left. I furrowed my eyebrows together.

“Well he’s acting strangely.” I commented.

Emily shrugged her shoulders. “I’ll go find him later and see what’s wrong.”

We barely had to wait fifteen minutes before the wooden doors swung open. Viktor Krum exited with his headmaster. Behind them, were Fleur and Madame Maxine, talking animatedly in French. I had a feeling neither were happy with the unexpected fourth champion.

Suddenly, I heard a pair of familiar voices. Harry’s untidy black hair come into view and I pushed myself off the wall. Emily jumped to her feet and hurried to Harry. Cedric was trailing after him, looking puzzled.

“Congratulations, Cedric! I knew it was going to be you…” I exclaimed as I pulled him into a hug. His arms wrapped around my waist and I felt his lips brush against my ear.

“Do you mind if we talk? In private?” He asked gently. I pulled back, worried. He must have recognized my expression because he chuckled. “It’s alright, love. Nothing bad.”

I nodded, relieved. “Of course. Just let me talk to Harry for a second.”

Cedric nodded. “By all means.”

I squeezed Cedric’s hand before hurrying over to where he, Hermione, and Emily were all huddled together. “Harry!”

He looked up at me, his green eyes full of confusion. “Lexi, I didn’t do it! I told them I didn’t! No one believes me but you guys!” The words fell out of his mouth.

I hugged him quickly. “We all know you didn’t, Harry. And I’m sure Dumbledore knows it, too.” I assured him. I smiled and he gave me a weak one back. “We’ll talk later. Anyways, I’m sure there is a party waiting for you upstairs.”

Harry grimaced and Emily squeezed his shoulder. “Don’t worry, I’ll make a distraction so you can get away.”

I fought back a grin as I waved goodbye, walking back to where Cedric was waiting for me. He smiled, taking my hand and intertwining his fingers with mine. “Take a walk with me?” He asked.

I nodded. “Lead the way.”

He started off towards the entrance hall, pushing open the doors that led to the grounds. I was immediately hit with a blast of cool, fall air. I shivered slightly and Cedric removed his hand from mine, instead draping his arm around my shoulder and pulling my closer to his warm body. We moved down the steps and towards the Black Lake, a comfortable silence between us.

I was always struck by how wonderful Hogwarts looked at night. The grass swayed gently in the breeze and the stars were reflected off the glassy surface of the lake. Cedric settled down into a sitting position, tugging me down next to him. I snuggled into his side and he kept his arm wrapped around my shoulders.

“Harry says he didn’t put his name into the Goblet.” Cedric’s soft voice suddenly broke the silence. He didn’t say it accusingly, or disbelievingly. He seemed to be looking for confirmation from me.

“I know he didn’t.” I said. “You and I both saw what happened when the Weasley Twins tried to enter. Dumbledore made that aging line. There was no way to fool it.” I shook my head. “Harry is my best friend. I know him. I know he didn’t do it.”

Cedric nodded. “I know, that’s way I wanted to hear it from you. I didn’t think he did either, but you should have seen the look on the other’s faces when he showed up in that room and told us what happened. Everyone was shocked. And you can imagine the other champion’s were angry.” He continued. “I’m guessing someone put his name in there. He is Harry Potter after all, and this tournament would be a good way to get him hurt and make it look like an accident.”

“That’s what I was thinking. I’m worried.”

Cedric looked at me and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. “Just keep a close eye on him. He’s going to need a friend.” He said in a gentle voice. “The school is going to be torn into sides…Harry vs. Me.” He said, shaking his head.

“Ugh and I’m going to be stuck in the middle of it. Everyone is going to be bother me, because Harry is my best friend…and you’re my boyfriend.” I said, looking at him worriedly.

Cedric smiled. “I don’t expect you to choose between us, or cheer for one or the other. Either way, it’s a Hogwarts victory.”

“Thanks, Cedric.” I smiled.

“No problem, love.”

He gently kissed my lips, pulling me closer. I placed my hand against his cheek, though his lips only lingered against mine for a second. He pulled away and I opened my eyes to find myself staring into his own grey ones. My heart began to thud loudly in my chest when I saw the intensity and the feeling in his gaze. It was like an electrically current was being passed between us.

I leaned forward and pressed my lips hard against his. Suddenly, the electrical current between us exploded into a fiery desire. I was vaguely aware of being lowered onto my back, Cedric leaning over me. I gently hit the grass, my lips moving in perfect rhythm against Cedric’s and my fingers tangled in his sandy colored hair. I tried to pull him closer still, desperate to close any space remaining between us. I felt his hand trailing down my side, tracing patterns and shapes through the fabric of my shirt. The kiss deepened. It was hard to remember the breath. All I could focus on was the sweet taste of Cedric, the way his lips molded against mine, and how it felt to be this close to him, in a way I never had before.

It could have been minutes, or maybe hours later but we finally broke apart, panting. Our gazes locked and I tried to settle my already hammering heart. “Wow…” I breathed quietly, before I could stop myself. I blushed scarlet as Cedric chuckled.

“Agreed…wow.” He answered quietly.

I smiled and Cedric leaned in for another kiss.