‹ Prequel: Weather Patterns.
Status: Finished 4/08/2009. Do not read this. Please.

The Stars Are Fading Away

Chapter Seven.

And everybody knows this is the part
Of breaking down in anybody's arms


It had been a week since Wren had hit me. He hadn't done anything else, but he had seemed angry a few times. He was holding it in. What if he let it out, the same way he had the first time?

I sighed as I walked down the stairs from the lecture hall. Wren's car was waiting, just like last week. I climbed in and sat in the passenger seat. Wren was texting someone. He glanced up at me and smiled a little. He looked like he was in a good mood.

Wren put down his phone and started the engine.

"Mason wants to go to Denny's. Do you want to come?"

"Sure." I shrugged. "Better than dorm food."

He smiled a little as we pulled up into the parking lot. As we walked up to the restaurant he took my hand. I leaned a little more into his side. He was in a good mood.

I saw Mason leaning against the outside of the building lighting up a cigarette. He took one long drag, then extinguished it. He caught sight of us and fell into step beside me.

"Hey."

"Hey," Wren answered.

"Hi, Mason," I said, looking up at him. He smiled a little.

We picked out a booth and Wren slid in behind me. Mason sat across from us and glanced at his cell phone.

"Derrick should be here, but knowing Derrick…" he chuckled.

The waitress came up and took our orders. She was flirting with Mason. I had to hold back laughter, but he just shot down all her attempts.

Our drinks had just arrived when Derrick came in. Mason stood up and waved him over. He pointed to me.

"That's Amber, you didn't meet her because you were passed out on some dude's lawn."

Derrick laughed. He held out his hand to me and gave me a wide grin. "I'm Derrick. One of Mason's roommates." He slid into the booth beside Mason.

The waitress came back to take his order, asking Mason if he wanted anything else. As she was walking away, I burst into laughter. Mason raised his eyebrows at me.

"What's so funny?"

"That woman needs to learn how to be subtle." Derrick laughed loudly and leaned over to high five me.

"Well said! I like this girl." I smiled and high fived him.

Mason smirked and leaned back in his seat. "Really? I didn't notice. I get it sooo much," he said sarcastically.

"Are you kidding me? No one would hit on Mason with me around," Derrick said, leaning back and crossing his arms.

I smiled. I was actually having a good time. I looked over at Wren. He was sitting back in the booth and smiling at our jokes, choosing not to participate.

Derrick saw where my gaze was. "Wren would rather safely observe our fun than become the object of ridicule himself," he said jokingly.

Wren rolled his eyes. "I'm going to the bathroom."

"I, too, need to take a piss," Derrick said, getting up.

"Yeah, Derrick just wants to get gay with Wren," Mason said, laughing.

"I'm going number two, not to crush you're dreams," Wren called over his shoulder.

"DAMMIT," Derrick said, laughing and following him into the mens' room.

I made a face. "TMI." Mason laughed.

"So," he said, raising his eyebrows.

"You don't seem like a smoker."

"I'm trying to quit," Mason said, running his hand through his hair. "It's difficult."

"I wouldn't know," I said, sticking my tongue out at him.

He smiled. "You seem to be in a good mood."

I shrugged. "Wren's in a good mood. It rubs off."

Mason's eyes darkened at Wren's name. "You know, I could tell Derrick and we could jump him in the parking lot if you wanted."

"Not funny, Mason," I said, glaring at him.

"It wasn't a joke." He looked up as Derrick came out of the men's room.

"Man, he was not joking. I think he's got the runs," Derrick said, sitting down again.

"Wow, thanks for sharing," I said, laughing.

"Bi-polar," Mason muttered. I rolled my eyes.

"It's just because her lover boy was gone, Mason," Derrick said, elbowing him.

Mason's eyes came up from the table to look into my eyes. I avoided his gaze and looked at my napkin. It was very interesting at the moment.

Wren came out of the bathroom and sat down just as our food came. Suddenly, I wasn't hungry. I picked at my food.

"Amber, you really don't look anorexic!" Derrick joked, smirking.

I stuck my tongue out at him. "I'm not hungry."

"That's what they all say," he retorted, still smirking.

I stuffed a huge bite of food into my mouth and chewed it obnoxiously. "There, Derrick, happy?"

He laughed. "Sure, sure."

Wren's good mood seemed to diminish though the whole dinner. As I laughed and joked with Mason and Derrick, he stayed silent. When the bill came, he paid for both of our food.

"Wren, I can pay," I said, handing him a ten.

He rolled his eyes. "Please, Amber," he said, almost disbelieving. My brow furrowed. It was like he was implying I was incapable of paying. He got up and walked to the door.

"Bye, guys." I waved to them and followed Wren out the door.

The car ride was silent. It was beginning to become a regular practice.

Wren pulled up in front of my dorm and heaved a sigh. He got out of the car, intending to walk me up to the door. I got up, too and walked with him, but before we got to the door, he pulled me over to the side of the building.

"Amber."

"Yes…?" I was confused.

"I can't believe you. I can't believe you're doing this again!"

"Doing what? Wren–"

"No! You're doing it again! You were flirting with them the whole dinner!"

"What?! I was having fun, Wren, they're just friends!" I dreaded where this was leading.

He rolled his eyes. "Friends with benefits."

My mouth dropped open and tears burned at my eyes. "I can't believe you," I muttered. I started walking towards the door.

"No, I can't believe you!" he yelled. He spun me back around and his open palm slapped me hard across the face. I was taken by surprise, and stumbled to the ground. Tears fell freely.

"Maybe if you weren't such a whore I wouldn't have to keep doing this," he said quietly before walking back to his car.

I curled up in a ball on the ground. It was almost October. It was cold. I didn't care; the coolness felt good against my stinging cheek.

Again. He had done this again. I started sobbing uncontrollably. I pulled myself towards the wall and leaned against it. As I cried I took out my phone. I needed to talk to someone. My fingers searched for Mason's number. I waited for him to pick up.

"Hello?"

"Mason," I sobbed. I couldn't say anything understandable, I was crying too hard. "Mason."

"Amber? Amber, what's wrong? Where are you?"

I tried to say something that sounded like English.

"Outside my dorm." I sniffled and the tears started again.

"Which one?"

"Washington Avenue."

"I'm coming to get you. Don't worry."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment, folks. I made a forum for comments so I hope someone will drop in. Once I'm done re-posting it'll be the only way to get me to update :)

Lyrics are from Walk On Water Or Drown by Mayday Parade.