Shadows, Nightmares and New York

Strand

My name is Strand. Not my real one, i lost that with my family. I've been running for years, from them. The press called them The Urchins- weird, deformed creatures that stormed civilization for nowhere. It took them weeks to take over texas- that's my hometown- and a few more to take over surrounding areas. I fled to surrounding states, only to be followed by the urchins. Now, I'm constantly on the run. Around three quarters of America has been taken, and almost all of the survivors fled to other countries. But i stayed, for more personal reasons, but I'll come to that later. I'm homeless- have been for a long time, since before they came, but I've survived, and now any other survivors are too- so I'm just like them.

Lets get something straight- I wasn't always a nobody. I used to have it all, a nice job, a loving wife, 3 children and a house i was proud to call home. But then fate had it's cruel joke, and i lost it all. My wife died in a car crash, and two of my kids killed themselves from the guilt. My last child, Abbey, lived with her grandparents while i tried to get my life sorted. I saw her now and then, but i didn't get to see her much. I know that upset her. We were walking through one of the many streets in Dallas when we were ambushed by the urchins. This was around 2 weeks after the initial attacks, but most of us didn't believe the stories. We ran and ran, but eventually they caught up and were biting at our heels. We tried to escape, but they cornered us in a alleyway. They wouldn't stop! I pleaded, for them to take me instead and spare her. They refused. One of them spat a chunky, fizzing acid at me, scarring my face and burning my hands, and another shot a web of black dust directly at Abbey, keeping her in place. 3 of them turned on me. One of them, snake like creature, but it's organs replaced skin. It flinched every time it moved as gravel, litter and glass sunk into it's deformed body, driven on only by the satisfaction of our cries. Another was a large, bear like creature, but had pieces of flesh hanging of It's torso and had tiny, darting eyes. The third one, obviously the alpha male,(if these things have genders) was a large, imposing creature that resembled a crow and a spider, with 8 long, stumpy arms and large wings which were stained with blood and entrails of it's victims. This was the one which had shot acid at me. Suddenly, it's barked an order. The lower urchins were hesitant to comply, eager to finish the small, weaker pray with burns and dirty clothes trapped in the corner of the alley (me). The Crow barked gain, this time more aggressively, and they stopped, to my temporary relief, and turned on Abbey.
“No!!! Stop!!! Plea...”
I never ended my sentence. The bear threw a garbage can directly at my head, knocking me clean off my feet. I stayed conscious long enough to see the crow grab Abbey and fly off.

So, that's why i stayed. The hope that somewhere, my sweet, sweet Abbey is alive and that somewhere, someday, we can be reunited.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, here's my first chapter- give opinions, good or bad :)