Redemption of the Fallen

Afternoon Delight

"What a sight he is. He'll make a great man someday."
"What mommy?" I said. She replied, "Nothing dear, just keep playing like a good boy, ok?" "Ok, mommy." So I kept playing like the good boy that I was. Not a care in the world. Run through the fields, swing on the swingset, slide on the slide, and play a bit of catch with Dad. Most days were like this after school and on the weekends. I did what I supposed to and then I had my fun. Today was different, though. Today was very different. I could feel it.

I was playing a game of catch with my father, (like usual), when my mother called for us both. My father looked far off in the distance towards the road and his face froze in fear. He grabbed my hand and said, "Get inside, boy! Listen to your mother!" My father always knew how to handle things. His only problem was looking at what's ahead, and what's yet to happen. That's where my mother came in. She could almost always look into the future and see it for what it was. She was like a psychic only she didn't charge anything, didn't wear a weird turban, and never needed a crystal ball.

"Come with me, honey." My mother said with a look of despair on her face. I was only 3 but I knew when something was wrong with mommy. She took me downstairs to the basement and made sure nothing was running and there was no sign of life down there. "Mommy, what's wrong? Are you ok?" I asked her. I always did, I worried about my mother. I loved her very much. "Nothing, I just need you to stay down here and be silent for a while ok? No matter what happens, stay here. Your uncle Bob will come pick you up in a few hours ok?" She said to me. "Ok, mommy." I replied with a sad tone in my voice. "I Love You, Michael. I Always Will. You're Such A Good Boy." She said as she hugged me tight and shed a handful of tears. "I Love You Too, Mommy." I said as I started to cry because I was scared.

Next thing I knew, my mom had gone upstairs and locked the basement door from the outside. I sat down on the flood and began to whistle but stopped shortly after because I remembered what my mom had told me. Within the next half hour, I heard a lot of strange noises and yelling and slams. I could only make out some of the words said and even some of those I couldn't repeat. Finally the noise ended with silence, a few footsteps, and a door closing. I wanted to check on my parents but I wouldn't be able to get up there anyways. I sat there and wondered what happened. I wanted to cry to my mommy but she said not to make any noise and I planned on obeying her.

When my uncle came to pick me up it was weird. I heard the door, heard a loud scream of pain and crying and then a while after, he ran down the stairs to me. He covered my eyes and picked me up and said, "Come on, Mike. Let's get you out of here.." My uncle was a smart guy usually but he unfortunately let his hand slip off of my face for a moment and I caught a glimpse of my parents. Back then, I didn't know what to think of it. I didn't understand what I saw.