And We're All Dead Now

Scene Three

INT. Chicago – Building – Day

EMBRY shows guard a pass then walks through doors farther into the building. She gets into an elevator. Doors open to reveal a testing laboratory. There is a group standing around a window looking into a room. EMBRY approaches the group.

Embry:
What’s going on here?

Anne:
A new test subject was brought in today.

Embry:
So you all act as if you’ve never seen this before.

Anne:
Dr. Cooper he’s alive.

Embry:
Alive? I need people getting me his full medical records and his vitals. I need everything now!

Anne:
Yes ma’am.

The group separates. Some go into the room with the unknown male. Others start shuffling papers. EMBRY turns to the window and looks in. Camera located behind her.

Embry:
This changes everything.

Colleague:
Dr. Cooper, I have his medical records.

Embry:
Thank you. Any allergies or sensitivity to certain substances?

Colleague:
None.

Everyone walks out of the room with the unknown man.

Colleague:
The subject is stable and ready for testing.

Embry:
Excellent. I need time to prepare everything then we can begin.

EMBRY walks into another room and begins working. Soft knock.
Anne:
Dr. Cooper can I have a word with you?

Embry:
Come in and close the door behind you.

Anne:
A living human, how did we get away with this?

Embry:
The company must have pulled some strings. Anne, do you realize what this could do? By injecting our cure into living infected tissue instead of dead we might actually have a chance.

Anne:
I thought of that as well. This could be what we’ve been searching for.

EMBRY continues working as ANNE stands awkwardly.

Embry:
Is there any reason you’re still here?

Anne:
I know what you’re doing.

Embry:
What do you mean?

Anne:
You’re f**king Collin. MY Collin.

Embry:
Anne, I’m your best friend. Why would I be sleeping with your boyfriend?

Anne:
Do not lie to me! You two dated for two years and now you expect me to believe that you’re over him.

Embry:
Yes I do.

Anne:
Well that’s a load of shit. You’re involved with him aren’t you?

EMBRY just stares at her.

Anne:
Aren’t you?!

Embry:
(sigh)
You were never supposed to find out.

Anne:
I knew it! How could you do this to me?

Embry:
Maybe if you would stop fighting with him all the damn time he wouldn’t feel the need to come to me!

Anne:
Don’t you try to make me the bad guy here Embry. Don’t you dare try to make me the bad guy.

Embry:
I can’t help it if that’s the bold faced answer and it’s staring me in the face.
(goes back to working)
It’s not my fault he’s not faithful to you so don’t even try to blame your shithole relationship on me. In fact, why don’t you blame yourself? It’s really the only thing you can do anything.

ANNE’s jaw drops. Loud knocking.

Colleague:
Dr. Cooper are you ready?

Embry:
Yes.

EMBRY grabs a vial and small package then walks out of the room leaving ANNE looking dumbfounded.