I Arranged Myself a Marriage with a Vampire …. By Mistake

-20-

I stared blankly through the window, sighing from time to time. Noah was sitting on the couch, drinking a cup of blood. His usual smile was disappeared. I had no idea how would he feel.
Two days have passed since my rescue. Athen had gone somewhere and I was on my own again. Well, not really, I mean Noah was spending the whole time with me, but since he was locked in his inner world, it was like I was alone.
“Maybe you should travel a bit.” , I broke the silence, ”This place is no good for you.”
He slowly lifted his head. His eyes looked tired.
“Maybe”, Noah said quietly
I went to him and sat on the ground next to the couch.
“ It wasn`t your fault, Noah. You saved me. Just don`t blame yourself. Leave the time to heal the wounds, but don`t give up. At least you`ve got the eternity.”
He smiled.
“Exactly because I`ve got the eternity I can afford to grieve much longer than you.”
I caught his cold hand.
“ I`m still sad because of her, Noah and I`ll be always. I won`t forget Greta but her death won`t stop me from living.”
“ I guess you are right.”
I had the feeling that he said that just to prevent my next words, my effort to convince him it`s not his fault.
“Promise you`ll do it.”, I gave him stern look, “ Visit Paris, or London or Hawaii…” I closed my eyes imaging I was there , “ At least you`ve got money to go on a trip abroad. Please do it for me and when you come back you`ll bring me lots of presents.”
I was whining like a little kid, but the result was really satisfying. He laughed! Mean real laughter, not just pretending.
“ I knew it it`s all because of the presents.”
I pinched his cold cheek.

¢¢¢

“ You are free to leave the castle.” , said Magrat , “ I will not make you stay here anymore after all that happened.”
So… I was free. I opened my mouth to ask about Athen, but his father`s eyes showed me that the conversation is already over.
“ You can leave wherever you want.” Were Magrat`s last words , “ I`ll send you a driver to make sure you`ll arrive to your home safely.”

I closed the door behind me.
I should be happy, right? Finally after two mounts here, I could go home. But ;leaving without to see Athen seemed so wrong. I decide to wait one more day. I doubted anyone will notice I am here a little bit longer.
I startedto pack my things slowly. Actually even if I did it slowly, my belonging weren`t that many.
I left all my dresses in the closet. Who would need them in the real world?
My whole stuff wasn`t even enough to fill a medium sized suitcase. At least it wasn`t heavy.
Athen didn`t appeared that day. The only one visitor was Noah. I convinced him somehow to come to visit me, before going on a trip.
“Okay, okay.”, he laughed, “ I won`t miss to come, I promise. By the way when are you leaving?”
“Today.”, I bit my lip nervously
‘Yes, but when exactly? I want to help you with the luggage.”
I smiled looking at the small bag.
“No need. I`ll be fine.”
I wanted to leave this place unnoticed. I came here greeted only by two people and I wanted to disappear on my own.
The true was that I hated this place, but still I met some vampires who didn`t turn to be that bad.
Later when I stayed alone I went to the closet. It was my lair after all, all my secrets were hidden here.
It was a good idea to keep my normal clothes. I certainly wouldn`t want to come home with one of the huge dresses.

I thought I was mentally prepared to leave this place. But when I took the bag, I felt the tears rolling on my cheeks.
Stupid Athen! He should have come at least to say goodbye. I thought he doen`t hate me that much.
But I couldn`t do anything about it. I clenched my teeth and picked up the bag. I was going to leave this goddamn place without any regrets.

¢¢¢

The alley was empty. I really hated the garden outside the castle. It was abandoned – the grass reached my knees and those huge bushes everywhere. No volunteers to cut them, I guess.
I began to walk slowly. My eyes were fixed on the sky. The sun was going to set soon but its warm breath still reached the ground. And I was going to see the ones I love.

“Be careful you may stumble somewhere!”, someone laughed
I dropped my eyes immediately. Athen was leaning against the casle`s wall with that stupid smile of his.
Somehow I suppressed the urge to hit him with the bag. That stupid bastard who was hiding from me till now! That bastard also was grinning like a clown when I was leaving! That nasty bastard was… well really beautiful.
“What brings you here?” , I asked. My anger just faded away.
“ Well, you didn`t even wait for me so I can say you a proper goodbye.”
“What!? Are you crazy!? You didn`t appeared with days. How could I know whether you`ll come back?!”
“Easy, easy!”, he grinned and began to walk towards me
“ Don`t worry , I won`t protest if there isn`t a proper goodbye. But still you didn`t keep your promise.”, I answered ready to leave
“What promise?”, Athen took the bag from my hands, “ And allow me please to act like a gentleman.”
“ You said we`ll read Shakespeare sonnets together.” , I sighed and tried to take my bag back, “It`s already too late, I must go.”
“ But still, you can afford to be late right?”, Athen smiled pushing my hand away
Suddenly he took a small path beside the alley.
“Hey, where are you going with my luggage?” , I shouted
He didn`t turn back and continued walking until he completely disappeared.
I ran after him.
I found Athen sitting in an old white arbour. My bag was next to him.
“Please, sit.”
I looked around suspiciously. The view form the arbour was amazing but as everything in this garden it was abandoned. I stared for a moment in the dark tops of the mountain before I sit.
Surprisingly Athen stood took a deep breath and began to recite:

“Sweet love, renew thy force; be it not said
Thy edge should blunter be than appetite,
Which but to-day by feeding is allay'd,
To-morrow sharpen'd in his former might:
So, love, be thou; although to-day thou fill
Thy hungry eyes even till they wink with fullness,
To-morrow see again, and do not kill
The spirit of love with a perpetual dullness.
Let this sad interim like the ocean be
Which parts the shore, where two contracted new
Come daily to the banks, that, when they see
Return of love, more blest may be the view;
Else call it winter, which being full of care
Makes summer's welcome thrice more wish'd, more rare. “

When he finished he bowed to me theatrically.
“Very impressive.” I clapped my hands, “ Thank you for keeping your promise. And now allow me to leave.”
Faster than anything I could imagine, Athen caught my hand, preventing me from taking the bag.
“Why so fast?”, he made a puppy eyes (it looked weird and untypical for vampire),” We won`t see each other never again, so what`s the problem to spend some time with me?”

I sighed and released myself. I promised I`ll leave without any regrets but it was too difficult. I stared at my shoes so he couldn`t see my eyes. Just in case I cry.

“I`m glad you`re able joke around. Maybe your disappearing was a joke too. It`s a pity I can`t really understand your humor.”

Athen dropped his eyes.
“ I had to sort out my feelings. I had to be mentally prepared for staying here alone.”
“I told you before I would stay here to marry you. I stopped rebelling a long time ago. I don`t want to bring more shame to you. Especially now when you saved my life.”
“No,no. Don`t feel obligated to stay here.” He shook his head, “ You can`t stay here. Remember when I told you you`re just like my mother?”
I nodded.
“ She couldn`t stand this place and this way of living. Somehow how she managed to stay by our side for many yeast but at last she couldn`t anymore. You are even more strong-willed than her. You can`t be a vampire. My father agreed too. I guess now it is over with this stupid custom of arranging marriages.”

“Well, thank you for giving me freedom. I…”
… didn`t expect to be that kind?”, interrupted me Athen
I finally sat down. It was really awkward.
“ I wouldn`t say that but… I am really surprised that you actually don`t hate me that much.”
Athen laughed as if I had said something really stupid. He sat next to me.
“ You silly girl!”, he smacked me , “ I like you!”
“ You like me and you hit me!?”, I pretended to be offended, “ Thank you very much but in this case I don`t need that kind of love.”
“ I am serious.” He said, “I like you and that`s the reason to let you go. I want you to be happy with that mortal guy Matt. As I know he has good grades, good family, nice house, he wants to go a university later and to become a doctor…”
“ You have investigated Matt?”, my jaw dropped
“ Well, it was for your own good.”, he giggled, “ And curiosity of course. I wanted to know the guy you love. I mean you love him, right?”

I refused to look in his eyes and looked in the sky instead.

“ I don`t know anymore.” , I answered honestly, “ Everything is so different from before, so unreal and difficult. It you have asked me a few months ago I would say “yes” but now you appeared in my life.”
“Which means…?”, Athen asked
“Which means I don`t know anymore.”, I rolled my eyes

He stood and sat back on his previous place.
“ I guess it is stupid to ask you to reveal any feelings, knowing that we won`t see each other.”
“Unless you promise we`ll see each other…” I gave him a sly smile
Athen shook his head.

“No, we shouldn`t see each other anymore.” He said ,” It will make the things even worse .I mean your parents doesn`t like me and…”

Athen didn`t continue but I knew what he wanted to say. Vampire-human relationship was impossible. Because this Bella hasn`t still lost her mind that much to want to be a vampire and live forever with her Edward.
“ And still you can visit me from time to time…”, I looked him with hope
“Who knows…” , muttered Athen

It meant rather not. I stared at my clenched fists.
“As you wish.” , I gave him a fake smile
“ Do your parents know that you`ll come home?”, he changed the subject
“Not.. really.”
“ I knew it.”, Athen put a cell phone on the table, “ Here call them.”
Then he stood.
“ I`ll leave first, so you can speak without any worries.” , he opened his mouth once again hesitating, “ Um…can I kiss you? For goodbye, you know.”

“Yes sure, you can kiss my cheek.”
I was really amazed how calmly I managed to say that.
Athen glanced at me confused. Any way I didn`t want to risk to cry or do something else. A real kiss would help me to overreact which wasn`t the most proper reaction in the moment.
A little bit disappointed nodded.I closed my eyes when his cold lips touched my cheek. As soon as I opened them again he was gone.
I suppressed my tears and grabbed the cell phone.

“Hey, Leila, what`s up girl? Yes, yes, I am completely alive and okay. Don`t worry. Do you know what? I AM COMING HOME!!! Don`t ask what I already said it. Call Matt and come to my house, but don`t tell mum and dad anything. I want to surprise them, okay? Yep, sure bring cookies. Yes, yes Yes! Okay I`ll hung up! See ya soon!”

I left the cell phone on the table and took my bag. I gave the castle one last look before I leave it forever.

¢¢¢

3 months later

My mother was nothing but a lazy person. Hose down the lawn, I`ll make a cake – bla bla. She just didn`t want to do this job.
But actually the true was that I really appreciated those small ordinary and happy moments in life. Well, I still didn`t like school, but as long as I met there Leila and Matt it was okay. At first I had to catch up lots of
subjects and that caused me many sleepless night but now it was okay.

All the events that happened three mouths ago now seemed surreal. Only the letter that I received from Noah yesterday proved them. He was now in Egypt and he promised to bring me lots of presents.

“Here, here, drink some water,” I spoke to the roses
In the beginning all roses terrified me, bringing a terrible memories of death. But somehow I got used to them.

Noah was now the only one vampire who kept contact with me. No sign of Athen. At least not official sign.
Sometimes I felt like someone was watching me, but I couldn`t see that “someone”.
Actually felt like this tonight too.
“Come out.”, I said loud dropping the hose.
Water spilt my shoes.
I heard a noise but whether it was man or just the wind?
“Athen, I know you are there.”
Actually I didn`t know but sometimes bluff works.
“So what?”, I heard his voice from somewhere around
“What what? Don`t you get bored to follow me already three months?”
“Just to make sure.”
I looked around but I couldn`t see him anywhere.
“Just to make sure what?”, I shouted angrily
“ You are happy.”, he answered
Of course I was happy. This autumn I, Leila and Matt were going to college. Mum and dad were happy. What more could I want? To see him?
“Show up already. It`s not fun like that.”
“Oh it is!”, he giggled
“You have a weird sense of humor.” I sighed
“Want to see me?”
I looked the sky as if he could fall from it.
“Yes, I want” , I confirmed
“Then close your eyes!” , commanded his voice
I rolled my eyes before I close them.
“Ready!”, I announced

Then happened the strangest thing. His cold lips touched mine. I thought I had forgotten how they feel, but I was wrong.

“Hey you!!!”, shrieked opening my eyes
Athen was gone again.
“Come back here!!! Come back and apologize!”, I screamed
His laughter echoed around until it faded completely. Athen wasn`t here anymore. Maybe he was going back to the dark nasty castle. I bet he was lonely there.

I touched my mouth. Funny how his cold lips can make my own burn.

“Forger it forget it!” , I said to myself , “You`ve got work to do!”

“Amber, the cake is ready!” , heard my mother`s voice from the house
“Coming!” I felt starving

I ran through the lawn and rushed into the house.

END
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is the end. Not happy and not sad, I just felt it that way. I am not really good at happy endings, maybe because I rarely receive them from life ;]]
Sorry for mistakes but it`s already late and I`m soooooo tired. Comment are appreciated.
Thank you very much for reading my story. Stay turned for more soon. It`ll be another vampire story.