Status: Active

I'm Gonna Get Through to You

Chapter Nineteen.

“What about this dress?” Cassie asked, holding it out to show me. “I think Jeff would like it.” I made a face and shook my head.

“It’s kind of…whoreish?” I said, biting my lip. Cassie giggled a little.

“As I said, I think Jeff would like it,” she repeated. I rolled my eyes.

“Weirdo,” I told her, sticking my tongue out at her. She gave me a silly smile before putting the dress back.

“So, how goes things with you and Shaant on the battlefield?” she asked, going back to looking at all the dresses over where we were. I raised my eyebrows at her.

“Battlefield?” I asked, tilting my head. She nodded.

“As Pat Benatar once said, love is a battlefield. So true, Miss Benatar, so true,” she said solemnly, nodding. I rolled my eyes. Usually, I’m the one that makes the oldies rocker reference.

“Well, Shaant and I are not in love. So there is no battlefield,” I stated, rolling my eyes once again.

“That’s such a load of shit, Annabelle,” she said. “Just fucking admit it. You’re actually starting to fall for Shaant!” she exclaimed.

“I am not! Why don’t you stop sticking your nose where it doesn’t belong?” I asked. “Shaant is nothing but a friend, barely. Get over it. Not everyone is a pair of horny monkeys like you and Jeff.” Cassie’s jaw dropped, along with my own.

“You know what? You’re one of my best friends so I think I should be the one to tell you this. You are being nothing more than a bitch about the whole Shaant,” she told me. “Just give up. You’re never going to get some Jack Glasson. Just admit you love Shaant, or at least like him, because you do. No Jack.” He was the guy I had always imagined myself marrying.

“He’s cute,” I mumbled feebly.

“Cute is what you aim for, Shaant’s all you got. Deal,” she hissed. Without another word, she walked away from me. Which was fine. Until I realized she had the keys.

***
After an hour of trying to find Cassie in the mall, I finally just decided to call Shaant. It was awkward, swallowing my pride like that. Shaant and I might be friends and everything now, but that thing, whatever it was, with Cassie in the store, definitely shook me a little bit.

“Where’s Cassie?” Shaant asked, sitting down next to me on the bench.

“Who knows? We got into a fight,” I mumbled, picking at the big cookie I had bought myself.

“About what? You two seem so unlikely to fight,” he said, putting his arm around my shoulders. I shrugged a little.

“You,” I said shortly. Might as well be honest with the guy. He rasised his eyebrows at me.

“Oh really?” he asked. I nodded.

“Cassie thinks I’m in love with you or some shit,” I said, rolling my eyes. He gave me a look.

“And you’re not?” he questioned. I shook my head.

“Not at all.”

“Shame,” he sighed.

“Why?” I asked, raising my eyebrows at him.

“Just got a call from my mom. Wedding’s moved up.”