I Don't Want It, I Just Need It.

Ten

I’d only realised my legs had given way beneath me when my knees had crashed against the floor.Having only a second to contemplate the pain before resting my forehead against the monitor and screaming into the microphone I had clutched precariously in my sweaty, shaking palm.

I pulled myself as best I could from the floor and squinted out at the dark, vague silhouettes ahead of me. Under the harsh lights I could barely see past my hand, let alone the cheering and jeering crowd before me.

There could be hundreds of the bastards, there could be no one.

Either way we were giving it everything we had. It was made startlingly obvious by he sweat pouring from me, and the stunted shallow breaths I had to force.The sharp pains shooting across my chest, the aches in the back of my knees from throwing myself around.

We, I, didn’t do anything by halves.

“I don’t want to kiss anyone, I don’t want to kiss anyone but you. I fucking love you”

I winced in pain as my knees hit the hardwood floor once again, the microphone dropping with a loud thud from my hand as I tried desperately to catch my breath.

I could hear the cheers, I could hear the screams, but it all sounded a million miles away as I led back and stared at the ceiling. My chest rising and falling at an alarming pace.

My entire body shaking uncontrollably with adrenaline as I groped around blindly for the mic.
“We’ve been Bring Me Th‘orizon” I panted breathlessly, “You’ve been fuckin’ incredible. Thank you”

I closed my eyes and let my arms drop heavily to my sides. There was nothing on Earth that made me feel quite as good as this. “Y’right Oli?”

Scratch that, maybe there was?

I opened my eyes to Verity peering down at me, a bottle of water in one hand, a pint in the other. “Water first” She smiled as I made a grab for the Stella. “Y’ av to re-hydrate”
I rolled my eyes and attempted to sit up, falling back down as the room began to spin around me. “Water” She nodded, this time a little more assertively. “Please”

I smiled as she unscrewed the top and handed me the bottle, amazed as I almost downed it in one. “See?” She grinned smugly, taking a sip of the Stella I was now craving. Smacking her lips together, savouring the taste. “Waters pretty underrated”

I sat up slowly, the room around me staying put, this time and reached out for the glass.
“Veeeee” I whined as she moved it from my reach, her lips twisting into a devilish smirk. “Vee baby, I need…”

“ Oli! Y’were incredible” I watched as Verity was nudged from in front of me and a pair of arms snaked around my neck. I coughed loudly and my eyes watered as strong perfume got caught in my throat.

“Uh thanks” I mumbled, pushing the girl from me. My eyes meeting a pair they’d really rather not.

“I was hoping to see you”

I nodded slowly, shuffling sideways in order to see Verity.

“ ‘s been so long”

“I’ve been busy” I mumbled,

“Far too long Oli” She whispered, just loud enough for Verity to hear. “When was the last time, the bathroom at Matt’s birthday par…”

“I’ve got stuff to do Sarah” I interrupted hastily, grabbing her hips and steering her to the side. Just in time to see Verity dragged from the room by a girl I swore I knew.

“If you’ll excuse m…”

“I thought we could y’know….hang out, f’old times sake Oli”

Y’ thought wrong” I mumbled, climbing unsteadily to my feet and pushing past her. Groaning as she grabbed a hold of my wrist tightly, her nails digging into my skin a little. “Look, I really need t’…”

“She don’ deserve you Oli”

I couldn’t fight the smirk now plastered across my face, stop the laugh escaping my lips.
“ ‘n you do?” I sniggered, “Fuck you’re dumb Sarah”

I heard the ‘Prick’ muttered under her breath as I walked away, but she wasn’t worth any more of my time. I grabbed my hoodie from behind the sound desk and pulled it on, hiding myself deep within the hood.

Verity’s laugh echoed up the hall as I jogged down the metal steps to the street .
It wasn’t the laugh of a woman scorned. Her friends eyes grew wide as I crept up silently, pressing my finger against my lips as she opened her mouth to speak. She nodded subtly and carried on her animated conversation with Verity as I positioned myself behind her. My arms ready to wrap around her in an instant.

“I’m Sorry”

She jumped; as I’d expected, right into my arms. Utterly helpless to my lips now pressed against her neck, my hands brushing her hips.

“Jakes coming to get me” She mumbled, pushing me from her. “Remember what we…”

“I jus’ want one kiss”

“Well you can get it offa that lass inside”

“Verity, I…She‘s just some…”

She turned to face me with a giggle, pressing herself up against me.

“I like t’ make ye sweat Sykes”

I rolled my eyes and exhaled the breath I’d been holding since stepping outside. Wrapping my arms tightly around her and resting my chin on the top of her head. “I know ye do” I whispered, “But can ye not jus’ make me sweat the fun way”

I chuckled as she slapped my shoulder playfully, her eyes narrowing in disdain for a second.
“You’re so vulgar Oliver”

“Ye make me so vulgar Verity”

My lips were a millimetre from hers when her friend sighed loudly beside us.

“I’m sorry, d’ye wanna join in”

I winced as Verity slammed her foot down on top of mine and pulled herself from my arms.
“I didn’ introduce the two of ye” She enthused, “Elliot this is Oliver, Oliver this ‘eres Elliot. My best friend since playschool”

I smiled awkwardly as she grabbed my outstretched hand and shook it slowly. The last time we’d touched she’d not been nearly as timid. I could feel my cheeks burning and watched hers do much the same as Verity looked between us.Her lips twisting into an awkward, unsure smile as her eyes flicked from Elliot to me and back again.

I heard her breathe deeply, loudly.

“Christ Oliver, ‘s there anyone ye haven’ fucked?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I really do love this story, hopefully you do too?
Still unsure about Elliots longevity...hmmm.

I've actually got a rough plan.
A new organised leaf turned over? I doubt it.

x