Status: Slowly becoming active. Thank you so much for all the comments when I wasn't writing. Helped me a ton. <3

I Never Told a Lie, and That Makes Me a Liar

Chapter Sixteen.

"Where should I pick up?" I asked out loud, more to myself than to him. I had already told him more than I felt comfortable with, and I really wish I could just stop telling my life story as it became something that happened increasingly often. Zack was risking his life for me here, and his seeming loyalty made me feel like he deserved to know the truth....and that's what I was going to give him.

"Well, if you could explain the brands on your ribs, that's be a good place," Zack mentioned. I nodded, rubbing subconsciously at them.

"Right," I sighed. "Well, they've been there as long as I can remember. It's the mark of my family, given to a small child to ensure they don't desert the family, say they belong elsewhere and dishonor my father," I went on. "It's...sort of like...my family is a mafia, of sorts. Mom was one of the women he had to produce who'd assume leadership once he died and he had my older brother, and then me, and there's a couple more children I've never met. They're somewhere in the country, but it's just me and my older brother with my father."

Zack nodded, or at least his shadow on the wall seemed like it was, and I guess it was to show that he understood. To be honest, I was glad I couldn't see his facial expressions as I told him this. I knew it wasn't right. It wasn't...human, my life. But damn it all, it was the truth.

"And just like with any mafia, there are more than one and we're at war," I pressed on, praying that this tunnel would end soon.

"Jayden's family," Zack said shortly.

"Yes, Jayden's family," I agreed. "I never really understood why my father kept me to live with him, but I understand now. It...this, it was always meant to happen. This war over money and land and so many other, material things, it's been going on longer than anyone can figure. My family has the upper hand this generation, but who's to say we will next generation? There's always going to be this push and pull. Jayden's family...I was sent to settle the debt of paper work," I explained, "Land that was meant to be handed over at the end of the last reign, as it were. But Dad...he's not willing to give it up. So, he sent me instead. Told me to make him proud. Settle the debt...keep the family's honor. How he wants me to do that, I don't know...but there's nothing I can do. I was sent in on a suicide mission. I think he wanted me to take as many of them with me as I can, like Jayden, but...I don't have that in me," I finished.

There was a long pause in which we walked in silence. I wasn't sure what else I could say about this to try and make it sound better. The truth was ugly and there was no way around it.

"You're a mob boss' daughter, sent to settle a debt and kill the next in line to the regime of the enemy's family, but they aren't taking you for settlement, but collateral. They still want the papers," Zack stated.

"Basically."

"Wendy," he said, stopping where he was and grabbing my arm to stop me too. I turned to face him, shining my flashlight above him so I could see him but not blind him.

"Yeah?"

"There's a pretty simple solution to your problem," he told me.

"And what's that?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Just give them the paper work," he said. I rolled my eyes.

"I've thought about doing that," I replied. "But that's disrespecting the family," I added. "They'd have me killed and unlike Jayden, they won't be bumbling idiots."

"There has to be something," he groaned in desperation.

"There isn't," I said shortly. "I need to die, and that is that."

"But you can't die." His voice was quiet now, and there was sadness. "I want you, Wendy. You can't die." With that, his lips placed themselves firmly on mine, and he switched his flashlight off. I had been expecting it this time, meaning I kissed him back immediately, keeping my light on in fear of being found in this tunnel.

We kissed for what seemed like hours. I swear, it could have even been days, weeks even. All too soon, he pulled away, resting his forehead on mine.

"You can't die... because I'm not done with you yet, Wendy," Zack whispered. I smiled a little, brushing my nose against his.

"I wish I could stay longer, Zack, but I've been marked from the beginning," I mumbled. "I shouldn't have ever let things get this far, and I'm sorry."

"Would you please just stop apologizing?" he begged. "I'm sick of the apologies. It's going to work out, Wendy. I'll figure something out, I promise you."

"If you say so," I sighed. "We really should keep moving," I added. He brushed his lips against mine before stepping back and turning his flashlight back on.

"I think I can see the end," he mentioned. "Let's just hope nothing too nasty is on the other side."

"I hope more than you could ever understand there isn't," I told him. Though it was part of a lie. I knew what had to happen and I was getting sick of the running. I just wanted to die already.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay, I'm not dead! Constructive Crit. is always loved. You know the stuff.