‹ Prequel: Move

Run

Company

Image
It's almost been a month from when I first found out Riley had powers like me. We've been trying to hide the powers as best as possible. After Edward, Riley's evil brother, told us there was a company that wanted to hunt us down, we were on the look out.

Riley had pretty much moved in with me. He gave his appartment to his roommate and took all of his things. All of his furniture stayed with his roommate. He drove all of his clothes, and other things he needed, to my house in boxes. It was a relief to not live in a huge house alone anymore.

GWOODCORP was thriving in money. The high bouncer ended up being a big hit. We sold over 200,000 in the first week. Everything else was being sold without a problem. Including the ballroom Riley bought and named after me. A lot of people were using it.

Ann, Diane, and Bria got home safely after the incident with Edward. Their bloodstream was covered with tranquilizer so, they slept for quite a while. We were all talking more than usual. Every morning we would have coffee. So, my life was fairly normal. So was Riley's. He even moved up to chief executive for the magazine. He was no longer stuck in the cubicle. Riley now had an office across from my own.

But, besides from having inhumane powers, we were fairly normal.

I shot up from bed and looked at the clock. It was nine thirty. The weekend was here. I rolled over next to Riley who was curled up in a ball under the blanket. I kissed the tuft of hair.

"Wake up sleepy head." I said. He gave a tired moan.

He rolled his head across the pillow and looked at me. "Hi." He said in his wonderful voice.

"Good morning." I said.

Riley rolled back over and looked at the clock. "It's the weekend. Let me sleep a little."

I sighed. "I thought you said you didn't need sleep."

He looked back at me and his face showed no tiredness. "I don't. I'm just trying to seem normal."

I hopped off of the bed and walked over to the mirror. "Maybe we are meant to stick out." I said putting my hair in a ponytail. His reflection in the mirror moved and he propped hiself up on the bed.

"I think you're right." He said. I spun around surprised he was actually agreeing with me. "Alyssa, you have a room full of guns and explosives. You are just sticking out no matter what." I turned back around. Of course he wasn't going to agree with me.

"I'm just saying, we should meet more of these people like us." I said. "That way we could act the way we wanted."

He sighed and got out of bed. "Alyssa, if we all group up the company will be sure to find us." Riley said as he began making the bed.

I walked to the opposite side of the bed and made my half. "We don't even know that there is a company."

He chuckled. "Yeah. We didn't think there were more of us either." I rolled my eyes. "My brother knew more than we did."

I walked over to the closet and slipped on a white t-shirt and washed out jeans. Riley walked in next to me and took the same black shirt he wore the night we fought Edward. He ended up keeping it after all. He also slipped on a pair of washed out jeans. We began dressing more like humans to not draw attention. It ended up drawing attention anyway. We still had to always be ready to run if the company did show up.

We walked out of the closet and sat on the bed putting our shoes on. We both slipped on a pair of New Balance sneakers.

I stood up and waited for Riley to tie his shoe. He stood up and we both walked down the stairs to the kitchen.

"What do you want to eat on this Saturday morning?" Riley asked me as I sat down at the table. I rested my head on my hands.

"I'm not really hungry." I said.

He shrugged. "Pancakes it is then."

I rolled my eyes. "I thought you said you wouldn't do that anymore."

"Do what?" He said sarcastically.

"You know exactly what." I said.

He sighed. "I say a lot of things."

"Isn't that the truth." I mumbled. I knew he heard me. Riley pulled out the pancake batter and a pan. He switched the oven on and set the pan on it.

My ears picked up a sound of footsteps coming to the door. There were a lot of footsteps. "Riley!" I whispered. He looked at me. "They're here." I said standing up quietly. I walked over to him and grabbed his hand.

"Are you sure?" He whispered. I nodded. "Well, get us out of here." I looked up at him. He nodded. There was a knocking at the door. "Back door." He whispered.

I tightened my grip on his hand and ran. I ran fast enough for them not to here us. We sped out of the back door and ran through the forest. I stopped and crouched down. We looked back at the house. Riley peered over my shoulder.

We saw about fifty men who surrounded my house. They were all in black armor suits and were holding what looked like Uzi guns. They had black masks on and black goggles.

I heard a shattering of glass and I opened my mouth. "Come on." Riley whispered in my ear. I glanced back at all of them and they started moving closer to my house.

I grabbed Riley's hand and we ran away from my house. We ran until we got to town. They wouldn't come to town and reveal our secret. That would be complete idiotic. We were in the finished plaza where Edward and I fought. It was nice now that it was done. There still was an open lot and there hardly was anybody around.

"We have to get out of town." Riley said as I let his hand go.

I turned towards him. "Where are we supposed to go?" I said angrily. "We have no where to go!"

He clenched his teeth and took a deep breath. "We have to find another of our kind."

I laughed sarcastically. "Now that we are on the run, you want to use my plan?"

"You just said it yourself!" He yelled. "There's nowhere else to go, Alyssa!"

We stood there for a moment. His glare fell on me. He sighed and began rubbing his head. "How do you suppose we find them?" I asked.

Riley stopped rubbing his head and looked at me. "There's only one way." I nodded. "We are going to have to kidnap one of the company people and ask them."

"Ask them? What are we going to do?" I asked. "Oh yeah, we'll just take one and go, 'We're kidnapping you because we want to know where other people like us freaks are. Oh and, we're going to kill you after you tell us so, just remember that.'" I said sarcastically.

Riley looked at me with concern. "Okay, now you are just freaking out."

"I'm sorry. Have you kidnapped someone before?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No but, if you want to live, you're going to have to do what I say."

I opened my mouth in shock. "Since when we you the leader?"

He raised an eyebrow. "I'm not saying I'm the leader. I'm just saying I need your help."

I closed my mouth and looked at him. "What are we supposed to do?"