Do It By Hand

Soft Lights

I sat waiting for Gordan to get out of class. Attempting my theory homework, listening to and opera in the background. I felt a shadow in my presence and I looked up to see who I was waiting for.

"How was class?"

"Class, how's those augmented six chords?" he smirked

"Shit." I smirked back.

"Do you think it's possible to make a pit stop on the way to lunch?" he said adjusting his ray-bands as he waited for me to gather up my things.

"Sure, if you're driving." I smiled cheekily, and put on my sunglasses.

"Of course," he smiled.

"Where's this pit stop?"

"You'll see." he grinned, making me anxious. Gordan had horrible surprises, they normally involved me being bored for an hour or so. But I tolerated it anyway, because he was my best friend. He drove for about 20 minutes in the opposite direction of where we normally go for lunch. I let my thoughts wander as his weird and awkward music filled his car.

"OK, let's go." he smiled again. We were at a ice cream place, Coldstone. Not the best place to be at considering it's still cold here in Nebraska.

"Hey babe," Anna our other friend smiled.

"You get off soon right?" Gordan smiled,

"Yeah, Lola, you're coming to my birthday party right?"

"I should be there." I smiled.

"Hearty party." Gordan, smiled

"Party hearty?" I laughed as a thing of ice cream was slid in my direction. The bell on the door jingled as it opened. I moved out of the way instinctively, still stirring around in my ice cream. I felt eyes on me, but didn't look up.

"I've never understood how people eat ice cream when it's cold outside." the voice was pointed in my direction. I looked up to see two lanky men standing at the counter. I assumed the one staring at me was the one who had made the asinine comment.

"It's their prerogative, which is why we're here." his friend stated while still looking at the menu. Anna shifted impatiently, watching as the man finally made his decision. The one who made the comment continued to stare at me.

"Boo?" I said and he seemed to have been startled out of his thoughts. And went to where his friend was.

"That guy looks familiar." Gordan said as I sat down.

"And creepy." I muttered, and continued to dig into my Oreo overload.

"No, I mean as in he seems like we've seen him before. At a show or something." Gordan said staring just as hard as the guy had a few seconds ago.

"Stop, now you're being just as creepy as he was." I said popping him on the shoulder.

"Ow." he said pouting in my direction, but then went back to staring. The guy kept glancing in our direction. Gordan kept glancing in his, Gordan happened to be gay.

"I think he's looking at you Lo." he said somewhat quietly, but the shop was small. And echoed.

"No." I said continuing to eat my ice cream.

"What do you want?" the guys' friend said, nudging him. I caught him staring right at me. Our eyes met, and stuck for at least a minute.

"Uh, bud." his friend said not snapping him out of his thoughts.

"Lo." Gordan said seeing my malfunction.

"Sorry, I zoned out."

"Yeah, drooled is more like it."

"Once again. No." I chuckled watching as Cody came out from the back. He grinned at me, making me smile.

"Hello Lola, did you like your ice cream?" he asked still grinning.

"Did you make it?"

"Of course."

"Then no." I smiled as he frowned, and came from around back. Gordan had started to laugh hysterically. Cody, nodded in my direction to come around back. He pulled me back through the back door, and we were outside.

"I missed you." he said stepping closer to me. I had been gone for 3 weeks basically. Auditioning for universities, and I didn't have time in between to hang like I had started to do with him.

"You could have called." I sighed, uninterested in how he kept inching towards me.

"So could you." he said, and it took me a while to realize he was inches away from face. I pretended to sneeze so he would step away.

"You're mad at me." he stated.

"No, that would require you to talk to me, and say something mean or stupid for me to be mad at you." I smiled.

"Then what are you doing tonight?"

"Going to see a movie with Gordan and Anna." I tried to slightly emphasize Gordan and Anna.

"What movie?"

"I have no clue." I sighed. Cody's brown eyes were searching mine. I had to convince myself that I still had no feelings for him. He was making it rather hard at this moment.

"Lola, you're no-"

"Cody get your ass in here now, I got a line." Anna shouted out the door. I caught it before it locked us out.

"Better get back to work." I smiled, and let him go in before me.
♠ ♠ ♠
was he in this chapter?

sorry it was kind of long.
background chapter...