I'm Taking Back the Life You Stole

Chapter 2

“Rise and shine sweetheart!” an overly cheerful voice called, followed by sun pouring into the room.

Mikey grumbled and turn away from the light, only to be sat on by his mother.

“Get off mum.” He groaned.

Mrs Way quickly shifted and sat on the bare bed next to Mikey’s figure.

“Aren’t you excited about going back to Belleview?” she exclaimed suddenly.

“For the last time mum, I don’t want to go- wait, back to Belleview?” Mikey said slowly.

Mrs Way nodded, “Didn’t we tell you? You were born in Belleview, then we moved to Chicago because we didn’t want you to grow up in such a bad area…”

“And you never told me this before because…?”

“…I thought you knew.”

Mikey sighed and rubbed his eyes with 1 hand, searching for his glasses with the other. When he found them, he put them on and looked at his mum. “Why would I know any of this?”

“Well, I thought you would remember, we lived there for 3 years.”

Mikey rolled his eyes and muttered: “Oh yeah, like I’m gonna remember when I’m 3 years old.”

His mother shot him a look which clearly said ‘don’t-start-with-me’, and studied the mess that now covered the floor from Mikey’s rampage last night. “Clean up this mess, then go wake your brother. The removalists come in an hour.”

Mikey nodded and mumbled: “Yes mother”, and crawled out of his nice warm bed and started shoving random objects into the boxes.

Finally, everything was packed back into the dull brown boxes. Mikey crawled to his bed and dragged the photo album out from under the bed, flicking through the pages once again. Many photos’s filled the pages; old black and white’s of his family, coloured’s of his friends, scratched one’s, burnt one’s, crumpled one’s. It was an endless supply of memories.

A sound snapped Mikey out of his trace.
Beep beep, beep beep.
His head snapped towards the sound. It came from a bag sitting at the foot of his bed.
Mikey walked to it and grabbed his mobile phone.

The screen was lit, the hazy green light informing him that a message awaited. Mikey smiled at the phone and quickly selected the small envelope on the screen. Sadly, his smile turned to a frown, as Mikey discovered who had sent the message.

Elisa.

Mikey read the message, a tear slowly crawling down his face.

I love you.
Xoxo Elisa


He swallowed the lump and chocked out a nerve-racking sob. Mikey placed the phone on the bed and turned the page of the photo album, only to burst into another round of tears.