The Reluctant Cinderella

Chapter Nineteen

The third day of the Summer Carnival arrived and everyone in the Santiago family was out having fun and enjoying the sunshine. Well, everyone but the youngest child. No, Dawn was stuck at home, laying on the couch while flipping through the channels. She had tried her hardest to change her mother’s mind but like always it didn’t work.

The rest of the family had left in good spirits but Dawn didn’t acknowledge them or say “good-bye” as they walked out the door. Her father tried but she ignored him, still feeling betrayed. She sighed as she landed on MTV. Some reality show was on, but how much was actual “reality” she didn’t know or care. It was all scripted she finally believed and turned the channel. After finding absolutely nothing on she finally turned the television off and rolled onto her back. She closed her eyes trying to get some rest. She figured that the day would go by faster if she slept through it.

The phone rang thirty minutes later, waking her up. Groaning, she sat up, turned then picked up the cordless phone. “Hello?” she answered.

“Dawn,” he mother started, “I need you to take out the trash.” The sound of many people talking could be heard through the phone. As well as a ride of some sort Dawn couldn’t figure out.

“Why can’t Sky do it when you come home later? The sun isn’t even down yet,” she gestured to the window, forgetting that her mother couldn’t see it. “It is his job,” she muttered.

“Because I want you to do it before the sun goes down. And your brother won’t have any time to do it when we get home. He’ll be ready getting busy for the first ball. Now don’t argue with me.”

Dawn sighed. “Yeah, sure.”

“Good,” her mother answered before hanging up.

Minutes later Dawn was outside wheeling the first trashcan to the curb. She was wearing her lounging shorts, a tank top, and flip-flops. It wasn’t the best outfit put together but it would have to do for the moment.

“Hey!” a very familiar and dreaded voice yelled out.

Oh dear Dios, she thought, lowering her head. Not now.

The sound of Jason’s footsteps came closer rapidly. He was running towards her with a smile on his face. She looked up at him, seeing the smile. Despite herself, she felt her anger at him slowly slipping away. He went into a slight jog as he got closer. Maybe I still have time to go back.

“Hey,” he said again as he stopped in front of her.

Too late. She gave him a smile. “Hola.”

“Taking the trash out again I see,” he said, trying to make some conversation.

She nodded. “Boy, nothing gets past you.” This was said with sarcasm.

He chuckled nervously and ran a hand though his hair. Dawn noticed that it was getting longer. The sides where barely brushing the tops of his ears and his bangs fell lightly into his eyes. “Yeah… I guess it was pretty obvious. Anyway, have you been to the carnival yet?”

“No, I’m not allowed to go,” she said while looking down and sighing. “I’m grounded.”

“What?! That sucks. But can’t you at least go to the balls?”

Dawn looked up at him. “If I can’t go to the carnival, what makes you think I can go to the balls?” She crossed her arms. Could he really be that stupid?

“Oh yeah.” He chuckled nervously again and looked away.

She couldn’t help but stare. The way he was still chuckling, looking down and running his hand through his gorgeous black hair. He seemed so relax as he stood there like he had no care in the world. Just another guy enjoying his summertime and yet… to her, he didn’t seem like just another guy. I think I might… No! Not him! Her head shook, trying to chase the thought away.

Jason looked at her with concern. “Dawn, are you okay?” he asked while taking a step closer. “Are you not well?”

At the sound of his voice she snapped her head up. Her dark brown eyes landed on his caramel ones and her heart skipped a beat. This was not good. “Yeah, I’m fine. I gotta finish putting the trash out.” And without even saying “good-bye” she ran into the house with no intention of finishing the task given to her.

Night had fallen only an hour ago and Dawn’s family was almost ready to head out to the animal masquerade ball that was currently going on. She was in the kitchen, searching through the refrigerator looking for something to eat. Her parents didn’t bother to bring home or make food since snacks and refreshments would be served. Even from the kitchen Dawn could hear her older sister complaining about something. Her “hair wasn’t right” or she “lost something that cost so much” and other comments similar to those. It was honestly so irritating but Dawn didn’t even think to say anything, least she was reprimanded again. When her family got back home her mother immediately demanded to know why the simple task she gave her daughter didn’t get done. She figured that if she didn’t interfere than they would leave earlier and she would be alone again. That was something she was getting used to.

“Is everyone ready yet?” her father shouted as he alone stood by the front door. Dawn walked by but didn’t give him a single glance. Every now and then he would check his watch. “The ball started already.”

“Don’t shout dear,” Mary said as she walked towards he husband. “We’re all ready.”

As on cue both Rose and Sky descended the staircase in their costumes. Dawn, curious, exited the living room to take a look. She was very impressed with what she saw. Rose was wearing a beautiful black A-line dress that went just above her knee. A white bow was tied around the waist and it was strapless. A black choker was around her neck with a diamond-most likely real-dangling off it. It seems more like a dress for the black and white ball, she mused. Her eye went to the mask Rose was holding and saw that it was a cat. Oh, I get it now. The choker is supposed to be like a collar. I actually like it.

She then checked out Sky’s outfit. He was wearing a nice suit, which she guessed was supposed to be from the Edwardian era. She wasn’t so sure. It was black as well and in his left hand he was holding a cane with silver on top. In his other hand there was a mask with the beak of a crow and black feathers. He looked good and she had to give Rose some credit. Only a little though.

Her parents were wearing black too and she wondered if they planned it or it was just a coincidence. If she were allowed to go she would stand out like a sore thumb in her golden dress.

“Do we have everything?” Mary asked as she rummaged through her black clutch purse.

“Yes, honey. Come on.”

Seeing as they were all ignoring her, Dawn started ascending the stairs. She got halfway when her mom called her name. She stopped and turned halfway. “Yes?”

“Make sure you feed Oso, lock up before you go to bed, clean any dishes you might dirty and don’t stay up late,” her mother listed.

Dawn nodded while saying, “Yes, Mom.”

“Good. We’ll be back later.” Mary looked at the rest of her family. “Well come on. We’re already late.”

They finally left Dawn alone and she made her way up the rest of the stairs then went to her room. As soon as she got in she flopped onto her bed and let out a long sigh. She was really looking forward to going to the balls. “I wish I can go,” she said as she hugged her pillow.

“You’re wish is granted!” came Missy’s voice from out of nowhere.

“Missy?” Dawn sat up and looked around her room. Her eyes landed on her closet at the same time the door flew opened to reveal Missy standing inside. “MISSY?!” She quickly got off the bed, throwing the pillow towards her best friend at the same time. “What are you doing in my closet? How did you get into my room? How long have you been in there?”

The pillow hit Missy right in the face. “Ow! Why’d you throw a pillow at me?!” She gave a dramatic sigh. “Here I am trying to be a good best friend and help you get to the ball and you’re assaulting me with pillows.”

“What?” Dawn tilted her head to the side in confusion. “You’re going to help me get to the ball?”

“Isn’t that what I just said? You are so slow sometimes, you know that? Did you really think I was just going to go without you? Or not do anything about your current situation?”

“Hey, can you move? I would like to get out of this closet,” a very recognizable voice said.

Someone pushed Missy forward and she let out a “Hey!” as she stopped herself from falling over. She turned. “You didn’t have to push me Connor!”

“CONNOR?” Dawn yelled as he stepped out of her closet with a wide grin.
♠ ♠ ♠
College took a lot more out of me than I had imagined. Sorry this update took a while but I hope you, my wonderful readers, loved it. Comments are loved!