The Reluctant Cinderella

Chapter Twenty-one

The second night of the ball arrived quickly and pretty soon Dawn’s family where getting ready. She remained in the living room, making sure to see what they were wearing so she could avoid them. During her time on the couch she heard Rose complain about Jason ditching her and going off with “some slut” in a golden dress. Dawn stifled a laugh at all the remarks her older sister was making. She would have found it insulting if it weren’t for the thought of how childish Rose was acting, but it was to be expected. It made the idea of dancing with Jason again even better if it ruffled her sister’s feathers some more. She went back to watching the television and tuned the rest of them out. Once they were gone she ran up to her room where Missy and Connor were waiting.

It didn’t take long for the girls to get ready for the black and white ball, which was a relief to Connor. The very thought of waiting for them again didn’t bode too well. What seemed like an instant the trio was in Connor’s car and heading to the ball.

“So, Cinderella,” Missy started as she turned to look at Dawn, “planning on dancing with Prince Charming again?”

Dawn bit back a remark when she remembered that she gave Missy permission to use that name. It was only for a few days anyway, so it didn’t bug her that much. “Missy, just call me ‘Cindy’ okay? I find that I can tolerate that name more.”

Missy pouted. “Okay.” She paused. “You haven’t answered my question,” she said with a sly smile.

“Well, yeah. I do plan on dancing with him again.” Dawn looked down, a little embarrassed on just how bold her statement was.

Missy took that moment to glance at her cousin. She noted that his grip on the steering wheel tightened and thought that maybe it wasn’t the best time to bring that topic up. “Just don’t get caught,” she finally said before turning back to the front.

Soon they arrived, made the quick trip across the small forest, and were walking inside the tent. It was just as spectacular as before, but this time all of the decorations where black and white. Dawn turned to look around with her mouth slightly open.

Tonight Dawn was wearing a shortened version of the black dress Audrey Hepburn wore in the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s complete with long black gloves, and a pearl necklace. She wore a black wig that was long and straight. Her mask was white and only covered her eyes with a butterfly and feathers coming out on the top.

Missy’s outfit was a little more risqué. It was a white strapless gown that was very short and tight. The v-neck was low but not too low, something her aunt wouldn’t do no matter how much her niece begged. She, too, wore black gloves but they were much shorter than Dawn’s. Her mask was black velvet with sequins, ribbon hanging down from the sides, and dramatic feathers on the right. It covered her eyes and nose.

Connor was wearing a black suit along with a black dress shirt, which was buttoned all the way this time. His pants and shoes where black as well. And of course he was wearing his pinstripe fedora. His mask was white with black ribbon making a criss-cross pattern that covered his eyes.

A moment after they entered they headed for the dance floor and did the same routine from the night before.

Jason was constantly looking for the mystery girl since he first arrived, which was causing glares from Rose. She finally had enough and went to her friends, but never kept her eyes away from him for too long.

He was alone, standing by the refreshment table, drinking and snacking. His gaze would go to the entrance awaiting her arrival. It was then that he saw the three on the dance floor. He watched them from over his cup and felt a longing to dance with the woman with the long, black hair. He knew it was she from the way she was dancing and smiling. So there he waited by the table filled with little finger snacks packed with a lot of sugar and different types of alcohol.

Finally they were walking to the table and he quickly straightened out his shirt and made sure that his hair was in place. Now all that he needed to do was go over and ask her to dance. Simple enough, he thought. After taking a deep breath he walked over and lightly tapped her on the shoulder. She turned, and at first didn’t recognize him, but soon a big smile was on her face. “Would you like to dance?” he asked, and shot a glance at her friends. The man was glaring at him again. She nodded and grabbed his hand before pulling him to the dance floor.

Like the night before they were dancing again, with neither one of them saying a word. They were having too much fun to make any chitchat. It wasn’t until a slow song started that Jason began talking. He asked her something but all he got in reply was a nod.

“Still being secretive I see. Is there any particular reason why?” Dawn shook her head. “Okay then.”

A group laughing caught both of their attention as they turned their heads simultaneously. They saw a bunch of women standing in a circle still laughing their heads off. All except for one that was glaring daggers at the couple.

Jason turned his head away and closed his eyes. When was Rose going to give it a rest? It wasn’t like they were dating. They were only there as friends. He can dance with other women, right? Of course I can. She’s just being ridiculous. He felt a light touch on his cheek and opened his eyes. Dawn’s hand moved his head so that he was staring at her. She titled her head in question.

“Sorry about that,” Jason said. “It’s just that…” he trailed off. “It doesn’t matter.” He smiled. “Although I was wondering if you would want to accompany me tomorrow night. You know, I’ll pick you up at your house or something?”

Her eyes widened at what he was asking her, and then they went back to the group of women. Jason noticed this and followed her gaze. She looked back at him with raised eyebrows. Although he couldn’t see them he knew what she was doing. “Oh, so you’ve noticed. She’s not my girlfriend if that’s what you’re thinking. Just a neighbor. She was bugging me for weeks about being her date that finally I agreed just to get her off my back. It’s just sometimes she can get so annoying. She wasn’t even the girl I wanted to ask.” He paused to take a breath, for all of this was said quite fast. “I wanted to go with her younger sister but I didn’t have the courage to ask her.”

Jason wasn’t so sure why he was telling a stranger this. Especially after he had just asked her to be his date for the next night. God, I must sound like an ass.

By now they had stopped dancing and she wasn’t even looking at him anymore but instead the ground. Dawn couldn’t believe what she had just heard. He had wanted to ask her?! This was a little overwhelming and she was glad that Missy and Connor arrived to drag her away.

Jason, on the other hand, wasn’t ready for her to leave. Not without saying goodbye first. “Wait,” he said as he followed. Missy and Connor didn’t stop but Dawn did. “I will see you tomorrow, right?”

She looked over to her friends a few feet away. They were motioning for her to hurry up. Looking back over to him, she nodded then hurried away.

The night wasn’t exactly how I had imagined, Dawn thought as she laid on the living room couch in her pajamas.

Suddenly the front door opened and Rose’s voice rang out through the air. “I can’t believe him! He did it again!”

“Rose, lower your voice,” someone said. It was her mother.

“No! How can he go and dance with her again?! I know it was the same slut from last night. Those cheap wigs can’t fool me.”

“Watch your language,” her mother scolded.

Dawn heard one of them walking towards the living room and she quickly feigned sleep. A moment later she felt someone lightly shaking her shoulder. “Dawn, honey,” her mother said softly, “you need to go to your bed.”

She opened her eyes then rubbed them. “Mom? You guys are back?” she asked as she sat up. This was all an act of course and she hoped that she was good at it.

“Yes, now go upstairs. You can’t sleep on the couch all night.”

Nodding, Dawn stood up then made her way out of the living room and up the stairs. The closer she got to the top the louder Rose’s voice became. Apparently she wasn’t done with her little tirade and Dawn shook her head as she passed by her older sister’s room.

She knew her sister though and if she wasn’t careful the next night she might just be found out.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry that I haven't been updating. I wanted to post this chapter up days ago but the internet decided to not work. Hope everyone liked this chapter!

Comments make the Mibba world go 'round!