The Reluctant Cinderella

Chapter Twenty-two

The third and final night descended over the people of the city and in houses all around the citizens were getting ready. Most were excited for the ball while others were a little saddened that it was the last night to dress up in costumes and mingle. In the Santiago household everyone, except the youngest daughter, was running around and putting the finishing touches to their outfits. This was the ball all of them were looking forward to the most and wanted to make sure that everything was perfect.

Dawn was once again in the living room sneaking peeks at her family members’ outfits. Rose was running around like a chicken with her head cut off but she did look amazing. Clearly she put a lot of time, and money, into that dress. It was at one moment, when Dawn walked towards the kitchen, did she stop to fully gaze at the beautiful dress. It was a full-length ball gown in a beautiful dark shade of red. White lace was seen sticking out of long sleeves as well as the conservative neckline. She wondered if Rose really wanted to be covered up so much like that or if her mother forced it. Rose caught her eyeing the dress and walked away with her nose in the air. Dawn just rolled her eyes and continued to the kitchen.

It was in that room where she spotted Sky having a glass of water. She took that time to have a look over his outfit. He was wearing a silk, long sleeved shirt with a high collar. Like Rose’s outfit there was lace peeking out of the sleeves. A green vest with buttons and an intricate pattern was over the shirt. Black knee-breeches showed his high white stockings and black shoes. Dawn thought he looked a little silly but great at the same time.

“Don’t laugh,” he said once he finished his water.

“I wasn’t going to,” she replied as she went to the refrigerator.

“Don’t lie, you think this outfit is ridiculous. I should have never trusted Rose to pick out something decent.” He gestured to his outfit. “Look at this! How can I possibly go out in public like this?”

“It’s not that bad,” she assured him. He gave her a look. “I’m being serious. It’s part of the theme and it looks good on you. I bet Rachel will think you look sexy.” She suppressed a laugh but was telling the truth.

“Oh crap! I’m late! She’s gonna kill me!” He hurriedly put the glass cup in the dishwasher, grabbed his green mask and left the kitchen. He came back for a moment to say, “Thanks, Dawn.” After a quick smile he was gone.

The thanks and smile gave her pause. It wasn’t something she was used to from him and honestly she liked it. Maybe he wasn’t so bad of a brother after all. The thought of him throwing books and ignoring her flashed through her mind. Okay, maybe he is a bad brother. But maybe, just maybe, he’s changing. Hoping that he was, she grabbed a lemon Gaterade bottle then exited the kitchen, twisting the cap and taking a sip.

Once the rest of her family was gone Connor and Missy drove up. They weren’t too keen on staying in the closet anymore and were just going to wait for Dawn to call and tell them when it was okay to arrive.

The cousins were already dressed and waiting impatiently for Dawn to finish. Her outfit was a little more complex to put on then Missy’s so they sat in the living room watching the television. After ten minutes Missy had enough of waiting and stood at the bottom of the staircase. “Dawn, are you ready yet?” she hollered.

“I’m coming!” Dawn yelled back.

Connor joined Missy while saying, “Damn, do you have to be so loud? You’re going to make me deaf.”

“‘Do you have to be so loud?’” Missy mimicked with the roll of her eyes.

He was going to reply but didn’t get a chance to utter one word. For, at that moment, Dawn was at the top of the stairs looking absolutely stunning.

Dawn was wearing a dress inspired by Christine Daae’s masquerade dress from newest Phantom of the Opera movie but with a little change here and there. The bodice, which was a deep blue instead of pink, was opened with in a wide V, ending on the shoulders. A modesty panel was added and that was black. The bodice was laced in the back with black ribbon. The sleeves where made of tulle and was the same blue color. The top of the bodice was decorated with lace, rosebuds, and tulle. The full skirt was an elliptical shape and covered with black and off-black tulle. There were two bustles in the back made of taffeta and tulle. Between the gathers of each bustle is a row of black flowers. She wasn’t wearing a wig this time and her hair was done in a crown braid with blue silk and black flowers woven in. The mask in her hand was blue with one black flower on the right side. It covered her eyes and nose. She descended the stairs in black ballet flats, opting out of heels.

Missy grabbed her friend’s hands as soon as she reached the bottom. “You look so beautiful! This is easily the best dress out of the three! My aunt is awesome!”

“Calm down,” Dawn said once Missy was finished twirling them around. “My dress is no better than yours.”

“I didn’t say that. Though I do kind of regret the dress color. Green with my red hair? I look like a Christmas present.”

“You do not look like a Christmas present! I love the long bodice and the ladder lacing in front. And the train on the skirt is a nice length. You look wonderful!”

Connor cleared his throat, causing both of the girls to turn and look at him. “What about me?” he asked.

“Eh, you look the same to me,” Missy said.

“I think you look nice Connor,” Dawn said. “Though it’s kind of hard to see your outfit with the cape covering most of it.”

He took off the cape while saying, “Not much to see. Just a high collar white shirt with black pants. The collar is bugging me though and my hands are starting to sweat in these white gloves.”

“Well, I still think you look nice. Besides it’s only for one night. Men had to wear these just about everyday back then.”

He nodded. “You’re right. I never it thought about it that way. But you,” he added. “you look breathtaking.” He smiled and saw a slight blush appear on her cheeks. There was so much more that he wanted to say but he didn’t want to embarrass her or himself. Especially not in front of Missy.

“Now that we’re all done complimenting each other, let’s get going,” Missy said. “The night is young and I’m looking to take advantage of it.”

“Okay, let me just get my stuff.” Connor dashed to the living room while the girls headed for the front door. They waited and soon he came back with his cape back on and carrying a mask and hat. “Ready?” They nodded and went out the front door.

They arrived at the ball late as usual. As soon as they stepped in they were transported to old Venetian Italy. The decoration were do spot on, that they looked authentic. Of course the mayor wouldn’t spend that much just to get re-elected but he was close. Beautiful statues of men and women were in the corners with a few potted plants nearby. The tables had ostrich feather centerpieces and crystals hanging off them. Couches were spread out to let the guests relax and talk comfortably. A small orchestra replaced the usual band and was playing wonderful pieces.

Dawn went to join the dancing couples on the dance floor with Connor escorted her. Since he had the hat, which was black with a gold trim, and mask on she now saw the Phantom inspired outfit. She found it funny that they would both be dressed as characters from the same book/movie.

Missy, who was dancing with some guy she had just met, knew what her cousin had planned and despite all of the teasing she hoped it would work out with the two. If only Dawn wasn’t blinded by the-boy-next-door thing, she thought as she watched the couple dance nearby. Even though it was her best friend Connor wanted to go out with, it didn’t bother her at all. She actually thought that they would make a cute couple.

Her gaze shifted away from the two and landed on a guy standing by a statue with his arms crossed. She instantly knew who the person was. Jason. This current situation doesn’t help when he’s giving Dawn so much attention. I wonder if he knows it’s her. If that was the case then he was playing a cruel game with her best friend. She would need to pay extra attention to him.

“Uh, are you okay?” the guy asked.

Missy turned and gave him a smile. “Yeah,” she replied as they danced away from Dawn and Connor.

As the night progressed Connor enjoyed himself more and more. This was the first time he was able to dance with Dawn without any interruptions. That happy feeling he had when she smiled couldn’t possibly by taken away. Not even if he Jason decided to cut in and whisk her away. Connor knew it would eventually happen. For now he was going to enjoy his time with her.

“Connor, what’s wrong?” Dawn asked after he twirled her.

“Nothing is wrong. Why? I don’t look ill, do I?”

She shrugged. “You just seem distracted. Your face was all serious and deep in thought. Do you want to stop dancing?”

“No!” he said a little too quickly. “I mean, I’m good. Just thinking. Didn’t think it showed that easily.”

“Oh, I thought that maybe you weren’t enjoying yourself.” She lowered her head. “That it was because of me.”

They stopped dancing and were just standing. He lightly grabbed her chin and raised her head up so that she was looking at him. “Never think that.” He shook his head. “I always have a good time while you’re around.”

It was then that he realized they were standing very close to each other. That if he moved any closer he could kiss her. There they stood, neither of them saying a word.

Suddenly someone cleared their throat and they both quickly took a step back.

“I’m not interrupting anything, am I?” Jason asked as he eyed one then the other. He had become an expert on knowing which masked woman was the one he wanted to dance with.

Dawn shook her head at his question but didn’t take Jason’s offered arm right away. Some feeling caused her to stop and look at Connor. His head was bowed and she didn’t think it was right to just leave him there all alone. She took a step towards Connor and linked her arm through his. Immediately his head snapped up and looked at her.

“Ah, maybe later then,” Jason said, and she nodded with a small smile. He gave a nod of his head before walking away.

As soon as he was gone Connor asked, “Why did you do that? Didn’t you want to dance with him?”

“Yes, but it wouldn’t be fair to just leave you. What kind of friend would I be of I did that?”

Friend. That word stung his heart but he didn’t let it show. “Well, you wouldn’t be a very good one.” He paused. “Should we continue dancing?”

“Well, duh.” Dawn rolled her eyes, causing him to chuckle.

“No need to have an attitude with me,” he said jokingly.

And for a good portion of the night Connor and Dawn danced away, only stopping for a break and refreshment once in a while.

The time passed and soon Dawn found herself standing in front of Jason, grabbing his hand, and being led to the dance floor. The same feeling coursed through her body as he placed his hand on her waist. It just couldn’t be helped. She still had a major crush on him, even if he also liked her “other self.”

They began to dance and once again he started talking. “Sorry about last night. You know, about the whole asking you out thing then confessing that I like someone else. I didn’t know what I was saying.” After realizing what he just said he quickly added, “Not that you’re not a good person to go out with it’s just… I should stop talking.” He gave an awkward laugh.

Suddenly the sound of water hitting the tent caused everyone to stop whatever he or she was doing and look around. Was it a summer storm? The news said nothing of the kind and everyone was confused. The mayor then grabbed the microphone near the orchestra and quieted everybody down.

“No need for alarm,” the mayor said. “The sprinklers have accidentally gone off but will be turned off momentarily. The ball will resume and I apologize for this slight inconvenience.” With that he put the mic away and headed over to a small group of people.

“Well, that was interesting,” Jason said when as they went back to dancing.

She opened her mouth to say something but caught herself and quickly closed it before he noticed. Wait, it’s okay to talk now right? It is the last night. And it would be pretty funny to see his reaction. She gave a chuckle.

“What’s so funny?” She shook her head. “No, tell me.” He smiled.

Well, no time like the present, Dawn thought. Again she opened her mouth but was interrupted by none other than Rose.

“Jason Williams we need to talk,” Rose said as she marched right over to them.

“Rose, not now,” he hissed.

“No, you will not ignore me this time! We’re talking about this now.” She was standing right in front of him. Her mask was off and a glare that could kill was aimed right at him.

Jason grabbed her shoulders and slowly walked her away from the small crowd that was forming. “This is not a good time. We will talk later,” he muttered.

Dawn took this opportunity to start backing away. Her older sister was too close for comfort. That wasn’t a good idea though because Rose set her sights on Dawn’s movement.

“You!” Rose pointed at Dawn. “This is all your fault you little slut! Who do you think you are?!” She began walking over but was intercepted by her parents.

“Rose, quiet down immediately,” her mother said as she grabbed her daughter’s arm.

“No! I will not stand by and watch anymore.”

“Listen to your mother,” her dad said harshly. “You are making a spectacle of yourself and our family. We are leaving now and will talk more when we get home.”

“But Dad-”

“No.”

With a huff she walked away with her parents following. But the only thing going through Dawn’s mind was, Oh crap.

Immediately she began searching the crowd for her friends but with so many people around she couldn’t find them. She took a step but was stopped by someone grabbing her hand. She turned and faced Jason.

“Hey, sorry about that,” he apologized. “I didn’t think she would go that far. You’re not leaving, are you?” She nodded and tried to walk away but he held onto her. “Please stay. Just one more dance.” She shook her head vigorously and got her hand out of his grip.

Dawn walked away at a fast pace while scanning the area for her friends. Neither of them was in sight and she was starting to get worried. She needed to get home now or her parents would dish out another punishment. Where are they?

“Wait!” Jason was following, trying not to push people aside as he made his way through the crowd. “Excuse me,” he said to a man who had stepped in his way. “Don’t go!”

She didn’t stop or turn her head. Missy, I need you right now! Right on cue her best friend collided with her and they both had to keep their balance from falling. “We need to go,” Dawn said once she recovered.

“Why? What happened?” Missy asked as she followed Dawn, who had already started off.

“You don’t know? My parents are on their way home.”

“What?! Damn, we need to find Connor.”

It didn’t take long to find him near the entrance. A very intoxicated woman was trying to wrap her arms around his waist but he gently grabbed them and placed them at her sides. When he spotted Missy and Dawn he was relived and went right to them. “Where were your guys? I’ve-”

“Just shut up and follow us,” Dawn interrupted. Her tone was harsh and she felt bad but there was no time for an apology.

They were at last outside and the warm summer air greeted them but they were too worried to enjoy it. They took off but only made it a few steps before they started slipping on the wet grass. Apparently the sprinklers spouted out more water than the mayor let on. The entrance to the tent, which was reduced to dirt with so many people walking in and out, had turned to mud.

Dawn was the last to finally gain her footing and noticed that Missy and Connor were already running. She followed and on her second step her left ballet flat got stuck in the mud. When her bare foot hit the mud she finally noticed and turned to go pick up her shoe.

“Please wait!” Jason yelled as he emerged from the tent.

Crap, crap, crap! Dawn thought as he ran towards her.

“Cindy, hurry!” Connor yelled.

Abandoning her shoe she turned and ran as fast as she could. Please don’t follow. Please don’t follow. That was all that went through her mind as she entered the small forest, catching up to Missy and Connor.

But Jason didn’t follow. No, he stopped right in front of her shoe and picked it up. The mud stained his hands and he was glad that he decided not to wear gloves this evening. His eyes scanned the area as he strained his ears but he didn’t see or hear anyone. His gazed slid down to the small shoe. “Cindy, huh?” he muttered.

“Can’t you go any faster?” Dawn asked impatiently from the backseat.

“I’m going as fast as I can. Do you want me to get pulled over by the cops?” Connor snapped back.

“Hey! Knock it off you two,” Missy injected. “Dawn, calm down. We’ll get there when we get there. And Connor, cool it. You’re not the one who might possibly get grounded for the rest of their life.”

They both quieted and that’s how the rest of the car ride remained. No one was talking. No music was being played.

What seemed like an eternity to Dawn, they finally arrived on her street. Seeing as her three family members where just getting out of their car –none of the three knew how they managed to catch up– Connor parked three houses down. Dawn jumped out and sneaked over, somehow got into her backyard undetected, then proceeded to climb up the oak tree that was near her window. How she did it, she didn’t know. All she knew was that she jumped into her room, quickly changed into her pajamas, and hopped into bed before her mother went up to check on her.

As soon as her mother left she let out a sigh of relief. She had done it. She had managed to go to all three balls without being found out. She had danced and enjoyed herself. She wore beautiful dresses that she vowed to wear again some day. I did it all with the help of my friends. Without them, I wouldn’t have been able to do it. At that moment Dawn decided that she had to do something special for both of them. And Aileen as well.

The night’s events finally caught up with her and with a smile on her face she fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think this is my longest chapter yet. I had so much fun writing it and I think it might be one of my favorites. Comments?

Whose outfit did you like the most out of all three balls?