A Blink of an Eye

A Blink of an Eye. (13) Time to test my strength.

As I ran upstairs to get my phone and jacket I could hear everyone behind me. I was glad they were all going to help. I just couldn’t help but thinking something bad might have happened to Matt. Part of me was blaming myself even though I know I didn’t do anything. We all grabbed our things quickly and I spilt us up.
“Miley and Josh go together in Miley’s car, Mom and Perry, Dad and Joe, and I’ll go with Justin in my car.” I say quickly.
No one denied me. Everyone headed to the cars and took off. And with that, our search party started. Justin and I were taking the west part of town, the part where the park was. After a few moments of silence Justin started up a conversation.
“So where do you think he most likely is?” Justin says.
“I don’t know. But when we get over to this area, we should split up.” I say.
“Why? Half of the west end is just the park and he’d be crazy to go there. No one goes there anymore.” Justin says.
“I do. I’ll take the park. You never know, he was crazy enough to leave his house at midnight, so he might be in the park. You take the other half.” I say.
“No way, I’m not leaving you alone at one in the morning. Especially not if you’re going into the park.” Justin says firmly.
“Justin, I can handle myself. I know this park; I could go through it with my eyes closed.” I say just as firm.
“I just don’t want anything to happen.” Justin says softly. I park the car and I jump out. I didn’t know what to say to that. I knew he cared but I couldn’t risk losing Matt just because Justin was worrying about me.
“Justin, I know you care. But we need to find Matt, and splitting up is the best way to do that.” I say softly glancing at him. His lips were in a tight line and pushed together. He didn’t seem too happy about this.
“Fine, but Jess, I swear if anything happens to you…” Justin says.
“Nothing is going to happen. Calm down.” I say grabbing his hand.
“Fine…” Justin whispers still looking worryingly at me.
“Ok, so let’s split up. Keep your phone ready and I’ll call if I find him or if I need your help.” I say hugging him tightly.
He hugged me back and reluctantly went the other way. I sighed and ran towards the park. Matt’s face kept popping in my head and each time it did the most horrible things that could have happened came to mind. I worked myself up to tears. I was partly glad it was raining, this way no one could tell I was crying. I headed to my bench and then down the pathway going away from it. I had only told Matt about the park once, but he wasn’t really interested. When it came to a fork in the path, I peered down both of them looking for some clue. I saw a fallen tree down the right path and nothing on the left. I went to head down the left, for it seemed safest, when I heard someone yell.
“HELP, Please, Help!” I hear a voice partly yell. It sounded weak and was coming from the right side. I run down the path towards the voice and the fallen tree.
“Matt?” I say coming up to the tree to realize that it was just a person with a branch over their legs.
“Jess, is that you? Oh thank god. I thought I’d be stuck out here forever.” Matt says.
“Oh, Matt, thank glad you’re alright!” I say kneeling down by him giving him a big hug.
“Oww…” Matt groans.
“Oh my god, sorry! What happened?” I demand.
“Well, my parents were fighting, and I got mad so I left. I remembered you said that the park was one of your most peaceful places so I was wandering around and it started to storm and the branch fell on me.” Matt says quickly.
“Oh my god let me get it off.” I say quickly. I try to lift it and can’t.
“I’ll call everyone.” I say realizing I needed help. I call Justin and tell him where I was and he said he was on his way. Then I call Miley.
“Miley, I found him! Meet us back home.” I say.
“You found him?! That’s great; I’ll meet you at your house!” Miley says. And the other phone calls were basically the same.
Justin came up as I was hanging up with Mom and Perry. I saw him start running when he noticed me down the path. He nodded to me as I was saying something to Mom and started to lift the branch.
“Let me help.” I say grabbing the other end.
Justin nodded and when we finally got the branch off he kneeled next to Matt and asked “Do you think you can walk?”
“Of course, it was just a branch.” Matt says smirking. He gets up and as soon as he puts pressure on his leg he falls.
“That’s what I thought.” Justin says smirking. I didn’t get why they were being so mean to each other but I was just happy to have found Matt that I didn’t bother to put much thought into it.
“We’ll take you to my house. Everyone is meeting there, and then we’ll decide what to do.” I say smiling at both of them.
Justin sighs and gives Matt his hand. Matt reluctantly took it and I rushed forward to let him put his arm around my shoulder and Justin let him put his other arm around his. That’s how we walked back to my truck, silently with us basically carrying Matt. Justin lifted him into the passenger seat when I realized that there wasn’t enough room in my truck for more than two people. As I was about to say something Justin slammed the door and jumped in the truck bed.
“Justin, what are you doing?” I ask not getting in yet.
“I’ll ride back here.” Justin says with enough authority that I didn’t bother to question him.
I felt the low rumble of my truck as it started and I slowly drove down the road, not saying anything to Matt.
“So, what’s up with him?” Matt says jerking his thumb towards Justin in the back.
“What do you mean? He’s fine.” I say even though part of me knew it wasn’t true.
“Doesn’t seem like it, but I guess you would know your boyfriend better than I do.” Matt says shrugging.
“He’s not my boyfriend.” I say realizing how sad my voice sounded. I didn’t get it; I mean he’s like a brother right? Why should I be sad about that?
“Doesn’t seem that way to me but whatever you say.” Matt says shrugging again.
“Just drop it, Matt.” I snap as I pull into my driveway.
We help Matt into the house and on the couch to find everyone waiting for us. Right away my Dad looked at Matt’s leg and decided he needed to go to the hospital. Miley had to go home so she left after saying many thanks and kissing Matt at which I gagged. Dad was staying at a hotel nearby and he offered to take Matt to the hospital, I wanted to go with him but Justin reminded me that I needed my sleep for tomorrow with Selena. So sadly I said goodbye to Matt and did something I knew I probably shouldn’t of. As Matt was leaving, I hugged him and gave him a small kiss. Neither one of us really took it as anything but apparently Joe and Justin did. They both were giving Matt evil eyes as I turned around and they both went to their room without saying anything to me. I headed to my room exhausted and as I fell asleep I knew I was going to have nightmares.
The next morning I felt horrible. It was six in the morning, meaning I only got 5 hours of sleep, and not good sleep at that. I was right about the nightmares, they just kept coming. It wasn’t even normal nightmares, I had like monster nightmares, ones I haven’t had in years, yet they still freak me out. I shook my head at myself as I headed across the hall to wake up Josh.
“JOSHUA JOHN JONES!” I yell. Josh jumps and so does Miley. That’s right MILEY!
“Jess…” Josh says quickly.
“Don’t even! Miley what the hell? You’re dating Matt! And Josh you’re dating the bitch.” I yell. Miley cringes away from me and starts getting dressed.
“Her name is Chrissy, Jessica.” Josh says giving me the evil eye.
“Whatever, Josh.” I say refusing to discuss this I walk out of the room and to Joe’s room.
“No, Jess! We are going to talk about this.” Josh yells following me.
“Oh, no we’re not.” I say opening Joe’s door and turning on the light.
“JESSICA, LISTEN TO ME!” Josh yells and Joe and Justin jump up wide awake.
“What’s going on?” Joe says.
“WHAT JOSH? HUH? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO SAY? YOU AND MILEY WERE IN THE BED TOGETHER!” I scream.
“Please, like you can talk, so what Jess, I’m popular. Just because you’re not anymore doesn’t mean you can be mean about it!” Josh snaps.
“WHAT?” I screech.
“Please, Jess, you know that if you were still popular you wouldn’t have a problem with it.” Josh yells.
I gaped at him trying to comprehend what he was saying. I started to talk but he interrupted.
“And it’s not like you have room to talk.” Josh says.
“Excuse me, but I’m still a virgin unlike some people I’m not a whore!” I say glaring.
“Yes, you are. I saw you with Matt, you still like him. And EVERYONE’S seen the way you and Justin are! You flirt with him ALL the time! You’re leading him on and you know it! Only you couldn’t see that last night you were hurting him, why you couldn’t see that you ask? Because you’re a whore! You were all over Matt and you’re always all over Justin!” Josh yells.
“Josh, 1st since when did you start standing up for yourself and 2nd you have no idea what you’re talking about!” I snap.
“Today, and really? I do know what I’m talking about ask anyone, we’ve all just been waiting for you and Justin to get together…and waiting and waiting! We know he gets you, we know he’s been helping you! And Jess, you know what I think? I think that the whole reason you are still acting all upset is for his attention! We’ve all sort of dealt with it and acted the same but not you. You went and changed for the worse and it’s horrible! Why don’t you just get over yourself and stop trying to be something your not!” Josh yells and with that he storms out of Joe’s room.
“Shit.” I say and kick Joe’s door on my way out. The rest of the morning was spent avoiding Josh, Joe, and Justin. So I spent most of my time in my room. When it got time to go to the doctor’s with Selena I quietly left my room and remembered that we had school so none of the guys were here. Well, I thought they weren’t. I opened my door to see Joe waiting outside.
“I figured you’d come out sooner or later.” Joe says with a slight smile.
“What?” I snap heading to my car. He runs to catch up with me.
“Look, Josh was wrong. Don’t listen to him. You’re so much more you now then you ever were and it’s for the better that you changed.” Joe says.
“And me hurting Justin last night, was that a lie too?” I say in a hushed tone. I just couldn’t wrap my head around hurting him. I never meant to nor did I want to.
“I don’t know. He didn’t really say anything when I asked him.” Joe says not looking at me.
“But you know that he was hurt? By me being all over Matt…” I mumble. I guess I sounded hurt. I was hurt for hurting him and I know I shouldn’t have feelings for him he’s like my brother’s best friend.
“You weren’t all over Matt…” Joe says but I can tell he’s trying to make me feel better.
“Well, you’re the only who thinks so. Humph, you’re only trying to make me feel better anyways.” I say. He looks like a deer caught in headlights.
“I am not…well maybe I am. Listen, Justin feels bad because you feel bad so just forget what Josh said. He was mad and didn’t mean it.” Joe says.
“Sure, sure.” I say.
I head out and tell him bye. I drive to the hospital where I was meeting Selena and slowly walk up to the door. I walk in and see Selena sitting in a chair with her arms wrapped around her legs. Seeing her so vulnerable and looking so hurt broke my heart into a million pieces. I ran out of the waiting room and out of the hospital before she saw me. I ended up outside on the sidewalk and I just cried, and cried. Everything that had happened today and yesterday that made me feel bad, I got it all out by crying. I was still crying when I decided I couldn’t go in there alone. I needed help. So I grab my phone out and call the first person that came to mind, the one who I knew could help me get through this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please! I know its been a while. I dont know who reads this but could you please comment! Please. Come on people I'm just asking for one comment. Please! :D ok thanx. Hope you like it.