Status: A work in progress for years and years and years ... etc

Headfirst for Halos

The Background Story

It was the start of the new school term. Mel listened as her Mothers distant chatter floated up from the kitchen beneath her room. She would be on the phone, no doubt, to Ollie, her best friend.

Ollie was also mother to Billie Joe. The same Billie Joe who has bullied Mel for the last five years.
Mel is an only child who has all the things she could dream of. She also has both of her parents. She was considered lucky because of this.
All summer Mel has stayed indoors. She doesn't have many close friends, just people she would make small talk with at school.
She used to be best friends with Billie Joe. They had been brought up together. Hell, they had been inseparable at one stage, but when Billie's father passed away, everything changed.
Billie was always angry at the world, more so at Mel. He would tease her and mock her in class. He would even beat her up at times. All of this had become the norm in the last five years for Mel. Yet she never knew what Billie's motivation was for choosing her. Why her?

Mel now chooses random times to walk to school because if she falls into any pattern Billie Joe finds out. He would be there. He is always there anyway. He catches up with her just to mock her. To throw many of his verbal punches, but only until he has to meet his 'new' best friend, Mike Pritchard, or rather, Mike Dirnt. She was safe, but only until it was time to go home.

Mel is quiet at school. She blends into the background. She is afraid to stand out or speak up. She is a smart girl who does well in mostly all of her classes. She is average in many ways. Average height, average weight, and average build. Average looks.
Not that it bothered her. She didn't want to be anything more than average. She has never had a boyfriend, let alone her first kiss. She just wants high school to be over, so she can be herself. And get away from him.

Billie Joe is a punk who loves nothing more than rebelling. That and playing with his band 'Sweet Children'. Maybe getting drunk and high too.
He hates school and hardly ever goes, but on the rare occasions he does, its chaos in the classrooms. In his band it is him singing and on the guitar, his best friend, Mike Dirnt, on bass and Al Sobrante as their drummer. His band is his lifeline. A way to express his emotions and release most of his anger.

Most, because he has other ways. He had been jealous of her ever since his father died. She had everything, but mostly, she had parents. Two of them. She had the 'perfect life' as he liked to call it. And she wasn't grateful. She didn't see how lucky she was. She was an only child smothered in love from her two parents. Billie Joe was jealous. To say the least. She had something that he wanted desperately, but could never have. Ever.
So he took his anger out on her. He bullied her, to be painfully blunt. That's not what he calls it though; he calls it 'expressing his feelings'. Be it physical or verbal.