Status: A work in progress for years and years and years ... etc

Headfirst for Halos

The New Guy

Mel's pov

I sat on my bed listening to my mothers chatter coming from the kitchen. It was the start of the new school term and I was dreading it. I was dressed in my black trousers and a simple pink top. Nothing too fancy. I brushed my long blond hair and pulled it back into a pony tail. I grabbed my messenger bag and headed downstairs. No makeup for me. I was greeted my my mother kissing my cheek then pulling out a chair for me at the breakfast table. Everything was already layed out. I poured my cereal in to my awaiting bowl and asked my father to pass the milk that was at his elbow.
My father and I were close. He was quiet, like me. He understood that I didn't want to go out. I thanked him for the milk and soon I was eating my own breakfast. I swallowed the last mouthful of my orange juice and grabbed my money from the mantlepiece.
Time to go to school. Time to face the music. Time to face Billie. I looked across the street to his house. No clues there. I began to walk quickly down the street then turn the corner. If he hadn't seen me, i'm safe. In the distance I heard a door slam shut. Oh shit. I quickened my pace. Soon I heard footsteps growing louder as they approached me. I felt myself tense as I heard the familar sneer in my ear.
"Thats not nice, leaving me to walk to school alone like that. Not think I could see you scurry down the street from my window. Well you wouldn't, would you? Your too stupid to think of these things!"
I felt a shove from behind. I stumbled over my feet as I tried to regain my balance. I turned to see Billie Joe's angered face. His eyes seemed almost hollow. I could only see an emotonless monter lurk in the deep green of his eyes. Not the Billie I used to know. Not the Billie everyone else knows.
"Get up you stupid little prep wannabe!" he scowled. "Look at you! A prep WANNABE! You can't even be a prep! No one likes you!" he shoved me again.
I walked on the very edge of the pavement, as far away from Billie as possible. I never said a word. That only made things worse. I kept my head bowed in fear, my stray bits of hair covering my eyes. I looked around begging his best friend Mike's street to appear soon.

Eventually I was left alone. Well until it was time to go home.
I entered the school and went straight to my locker then to my first class. On the whole I was allowed to sit in until they started. I sat for twenty minutes until the bell rung. People started entering the class, not noticing me sitting at the very back corner. I watched as Billie entered the class room laughing and joking with his best friend Mike. He noticed me sitting alone and smirked. He thought it was funny how I had no friends. It's what I deserved, he had told me many times before. I watched as he sat down next to Maddie. I scowled to myself. Maddie was one of the few people I spoke to in school. I ate lunch with her. Well obviously not anymore. I spoke to mainly the outcasts. The punks. The geeks. The nothings. I was a nothing. Maddie was a punk. She was obviously now going out with Billie, their body language said it all. His arm was snaked around her waist and her head was resting on his shoulder. I looked to the board where the teacher was now standing. She was explaining the importance of good behaviour while obviously eyeing Billie Joe, she was interrupted by a knock on the door. In stepped a a boy. He looked like a nothing. Poor soul, branded already.
He wore a pair of dark blue jeans and a white shirt. His hair was brown and short. His eyes were stunning, icy blue, surrounded by dark lashes. He could make it as a jock, his looks alone would get him there.
"Whats your name?" asked the teacher, not bothering to look up from her regiser.
"Brad Wuthers." he said in almost a whisper.
"You will sit up the back in the spare seat. Go now." she relpied in a monotone voice.

Ohhhhh shit. He was going to sit next to me. Maybe I can make a friend. Who knows, maybe more than a friend. What am I saying?! He'll never like me! I am a nothing. No one. He would be silly to even talk to me.