There's this boy I like...

Just the Boy Who Picked Up the Pieces

“Come on Jenna! It’s right up here!”

Shouted my friend Aiden as we rode up the abandoned road that lead to the middle of nowhere.

“Shut up Aiden! I’m going as fast as I can so just slow down!”

Oh, Aiden. At times he could be my worse enemy and at others, my best friend. We got into fights all the time, but when we did, that same night we would stay up and he wouldn’t stop apologizing because of the words we said. Also, when I got mad at him all he would have to do is show me his dull, but still gorgeous blue eyes and I wouldn’t be as mad. Aiden is the only boy to do that to me.

“Okay, we’re here, what’s so important that we had to ride all the way from town to see?”

I asked with a bit of annoyance in my voice as I stepped off my bike and strolled over to wear he sat at the edge of the dirt road. I was always the girl picked last in gym class because of my “Physical Abilities”. Any physical thing that didn’t have to do with walking… I hate it.

“It’s right in front of you. Sit and watch it.”

Aiden said patting the spot beside him, making a small dusk cloud appear because of his gently force. I sat down beside him and gasped at what I saw. I saw one of the most beautiful sunsets ever. The only thing that could have made it better was if the farmers already harvested their crop but that’s what you get when you live in the Middle of Nowhere, Illinois.

“Wait… I think I’ve done this before.”

I said as I tried to remember the thing I was thinking of…

“Your best friend Lily told me that we you guys were younger, her and you would always come out here and watch the sun go done and, she said that you always seemed happy when you came out here, so that’s why we’re here.”

Aiden said as he scooted closer to me as we both watched it. Silence soon came and, it wasn’t that uncomfortable. He was one of the few people that I could be absolutely calm around. Most girls would think that having a guy friend is wrong. But, on lonely nights, and your best friend is sleeping, they are all you got in this world.

“Can I ask you something?”

He said looking towards me, breaking the silence.

“Sure, you can tell me anything, what is it?”

I asked looking right back at him, getting lost in his eyes.

“Well, there’s this girl. I’ve known her for a long time and she is absolutely wonderful.”

My heart dropped. These last months I have found myself liking him more and more. He is always there, when I’m sad, angry, happy, hyper, or just even bored, he’s there. A lot of girls don’t think he’s cute, but his weird and sometimes cocky attitude is what I like about him the most. While, most boys are into stuff like baseball, all he wants is to be a motocross guy. He’s different and what more can I say… he might not be perfect for others but, he’s perfect for me.

“Really? She sounds nice. What more could you say about her so I could help you out?”

“Well, first off, she has short-ish brown hair that only she can pull off and no one else. Her emerald eyes are to die for. I can get lost in them so easy. Sometimes I find my self staring at her, and my friends have to yell at me to get my attention back to what we were talking about. She’s not a size 0 but she’s not a size 32 either. For some she’s to fat, but for me she’s cute. Her clothing style doesn’t matter. What ever she wears is awesome. She laughs at my dumb jokes when no one does and she supports my dream even though it’ll never happen.”

Wait…

“And, what is the name of this girl of who you speak of?”

“… You.”

Aiden said in a whisper. I was so shocked… how could a person like him actually want a girl like me.

“Wow, … um… thank you."

“So…”

“So what?”

I asked.

“Will you go out with me?"

Oh my gosh.

“Yeah… it sounds okay. I will.”

“Thank you. You don’t how much I’ve waited for this day to come.”
Then I felt it. His soft lips on mine. He was just… I can’t not describe how happy I felt when he did it. For the first time in my crappy life I was happy. He was the cause of it.

“It’s getting pretty late out, I better bring you home now.”

Aiden said holding my hand and helping me up. With a loud sigh we got on our bikes and rode to my house. Honestly, I never wanted to live that spot. The spot with the beautiful sunset… and the beautiful boy that I came to love.

He walked me up the steps to my house and we just stood there for awhile. Just him and me, the only witnesses were the moon and stars above us.

“Look at it.”

Aiden said pointing towards the sky. I looked up and saw a gorgeous full moon in the clear sky with stars surrounding it. Could this day get any more perfect.

“Aiden, it’s beautiful.”

“But, not as beautiful as you.”

He kissed me again under the moonlight. This is the stuff that only happens in fairy tales. But, I don’t know how long I’ve waited for mine. Perfect boy, perfect sky, perfect town, perfect everything…

“Jenna! Is that you!?”

My mom screamed from out of the second floor window.

“I have to go, mom problems. See you tomorrow?”

“You know it.”

Said Aiden as he ran to his bike and pedaled out of site.

As I laid in bed that night I thought about the day. The sunset, Aiden, moonlight… everything.

All I can say is… he is just the boy who picked up the pieces.