Confessions of an Innocent House Maid

Ch.9- Evaluation Day

It had been almost two weeks since the pool incident and thankfully work was normal. Nicole and I would drive in every morning, do all the chores on the list, and leave without any issues. I’d run into Sir here and there but it’d never get awkward. He would ask how I was, I would ask about his day, and we’d go on our merry way. No awkward encounters. No unexplained accidents. I was finally starting to feel comfortable with this job.

“Someone woke up on the right side of the bed this morning.” Nicole said reading my thoughts. “What’s up? You’ve been smiling since I picked you up earlier.”

I smiled. “Do I need a reason to smile?”

“Like that, yes. But I won’t question it. You ready?”

I locked my locker and followed Nicole to the car. “I’m just finally starting to feel relaxed now that nothing bad has happened for a while now.”

“That’s great!” Nicole replied while pulling the car out of the driveway. “By the way, Ms. Mary said she’s gonna drop in today.”

“Seriously?! It hasn’t even been two weeks yet!”

“Actually it has. We started two weeks ago on Monday. It’s Wednesday. We’re due for a check up.”

What Nicole meant by ‘check up’ was actually an evaluation. After two weeks of employment, your boss drops by on one of your jobs to talk to the house owner and see how good of a job you’re doing. It was kind of like a test. If you pass, you continue to work and maybe even get a raise. But if you fail then you’d be terminated. We were normally told the day she’d be stopping by but never the time.

“What are you so nervous for?” Nicole asked, once again reading my mind.

“I’m not nervous. I’m worried.”

“Why? You’ve been doing great. We’ve been doing great. We’ll just do what we normally do and we’ll be fine.”

Nicole’s voice was calm and reassuring when she spoke. I tried to sound the same. “What if he tells her about the pool incident or the bed incident?”

“Nothing happened on the bed… right?”

I nodded.

“He’s not going to say anything. He likes you and he doesn’t want to lose you so he won’t say anything bad.”

What she said sounded a little weird but I went with it. “You’re right. He’s the one who requested us in the first place. He wouldn’t want to lose us.”

“Yeah, just don’t get nervous. You tend to get paranoid when you’re nervous.”

“Thanks.” I replied sarcastically while turning to look ahead.

“No problem.”

We gave Sir a heads up about the visit and he asked us to inform him when she arrived. We tidied up the house and tried to get as many chores done as we could. When she finally arrived, we had done everything but put the sheets back on the bed after washing them.

“Ms. Mary, please have a seat” Nicole said gesturing her to the couches. “I’ll let Sir know you’re here.”

“There’s no need.” Nicole and I both turned to see Sir descending the stairs. “I heard the door open. Ms. Mary, it’s wonderful to finally meet you.”

“Likewise Mr. Hong. Would you mind if I spoke to you for a minute?”

“Of course not. Please have a seat.” Sir then turned to Nicole and I to get Ms. Mary something to drink. We nodded and exited to the kitchen.

Nicole took some cookies and deserts to the table while I got the coffee started.

“The dishes for the coffee and stuff are in the left cabinet.” Nicole said grabbing the sheets from the laundry room. “I’m gonna go put the sheets back on the bed so we can just leave after this.”

I nodded and continued getting the coffee ready. A little while later Nicole came back asking why I was taking so long.

“I’m done. I’m done” I said carrying the tray passed Nicole to the living room.

At that exact moment Sir came rushing in and crashed chest first into my tray, causing me to spill coffee all over his shirt and coat.

“Oh, Jess.” Nicole’s voice was sympathetic.

We heard Ms. Mary call from the other room, “Is everything okay?”

I froze. Nicole was still watching me. Sit was the one to answer. “Everything is fine Ms. Mary. Just one moment.”

Realization of what I did and its consequences finally broke through my shock. “Oh my god. Oh my god. I’m so sorry. Your shirt!”

Sir answered me in a firm tone placing both hands on my upper arms to bring me back to reality. “Calm down. It’s fine. I’ll just go upstairs and change. Tell Ms. Mary I had to take a phone call and I’ll be right down-”

“I’m on it!” Nicole said running out of the room.

“-Jessica, make more coffee, or tea if that’s faster and serve Ms. Mary something to drink. I won’t take long, okay?” He left after I nodded.

He was absolutely right. It was a simple solution to a tiny accident. Correction, his accident. I don’t know why I’m freaking out so much. Technically he’s the one who crashed into me. I can do this.

After placing the coffee on the table I asked Ms. Mary if she needed anything else.

“Where’s Ms. Schneider?” Ms. Mary asked, taking a sip of her coffee.

I pasted a smile on my face and answered in confidence. “Fixing up the bedrooms. If you’d like, you can take a look around the house until Sir finishes his phone call.”

“I’ll do that. Thank you.”

“You are very welcome. If you need anything I’ll be upstairs helping Ms. Schneider.”

When I went upstairs and failed to find Nicole anywhere, I reached for my phone to call her. Before I could dial I saw an unread message from her.

It read, “Hey Jess, don’t panic. Mike called me saying he was at the pizza place around the corner. He asked to see me and I really missed him so I ducked out for a little bit. I’ll be back real soon. Ms. Mary should be busy with Sir so just make some excuse if they ask about me. Love You! xoxoxoxo.”

Angry, I texted her back, “You have got to be kidding me. Why would you choose today of all days to do this. You better get back her now! If we get fired I’m going to kill you and Mike!”

“Ms. Schneider?” I heard Ms. Mary’s voice calling from the stairs. “Ms. Schneider, where are you?”

I immediately ran into the first room I saw to hide, not realizing that I’d find Sir there half naked.

“Jessica! What are you doing here?” He started covering himself with the shirt and his hand. His tone was more shocked than anything and I couldn’t stop staring at his shirtless self as if it was no big deal to stare.

“Why do you have no shirt on?”

“You spilt coffee on it remember?”

“I did no-“ Ms. Mary’s voice interrupted mine.

Ms. Schneider, are you here?”

“What is Ms. Mary doing up here?”

I ignored Sir and started collecting his clothes while shoving him towards the closet. “She’s looking for Nicole who is hiding from her and if she finds me, she cant see me in the same room as you, like this.” I gestured to him having no shirt on. “So I’m going to need you to hide in this closet and stay very quiet, okay?”

He tried to object but I shoved him in anyway then started to look for a place to hide myself.

“Ms. Stellar?” I could here were voice right outside the door.

“Shit!” I whispered right before an arm grabbed mine and pulled me into the closet. “What-” before I could ask anything, Sir’s hand covered my mouth to keep me from making a sound. At that exact moment the bedroom door opened.

“Hello?” There was a pause as we heard footsteps walk in and out of the room. When Ms. Mary finally left, Sir moved his hand from my mouth.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.” I nodded then realized his arm was still around my waist. I reached behind me to get his to let go but instead his grip tightened around my waist. I looked up to find him moving closer. I freaked at the sudden movement and slapped his face out of instinct. His free hand went up to his cheek but his eyes never left mine. I immediately covered my mouth, shocked at what I’d just done but before I could apologize, a faint smile appeared on his face as he started to move closer again.

I panicked and in an attempt to push his away, threw us both off balance. As a result we both ended up falling out of the closet and on to the floor.

“I know I said you should get more comfortable around the boss but this isn’t really what I had in mind.”

I looked up to see Nicole standing in the doorway smiling at the two of us lying on the floor. I looked from Nicole to our shirtless Sir and back. Embarrassed, I ran passed Nicole and straight downstairs to grab my stuff and get out of there.