Sequel: Only the Circus Knows

A Picturesque Score of Passing Fantasy

The Dolls in the Mirror

"What are you?" I frowned, scooting away from the...beings.

"Don't you remember?" they all said together. The truth is I did remember, but I really
wasn't thinking straight. But I wasn't scared, okay. I was scared, but only by a little.

"You were with Brendon...in the mirror?" My voice shook. The black blobs laughed in unison.

"I thought you would never figure it out!" one of them giggled.

"Gee, thanks." I muttered.

"Dear me!" one of them shouted. All their heads snapped up, "We're probably frightening her with our appearance!"
One by one they morphed into multicolored, perfect, porcelain dolls. Each one was unique in its own way. Some I could tell were from different parts of the world because of what they were wearing. Some had ribbons while others had flowers placed intricately on their heads. Strawberry blond, auburn brunette, radiant red hair.

"You look...different." I managed.

"I know! You must be speechless!" one snooty doll primped up her very cherry red lipstick. I made a face.

"Sorry about her." a girl with wavy brown hair smiled at me. She seemed nice.

"So you're all dolls...like me?" I asked.

"Not exactly like you dear. You of course are the prize for all the circus...but yes. Material wise, we are dolls just like yourself."

"How do I get out of here?" I wondered out loud.

"You're stuck here until someone gets you out, which is most likely Charles..." the doll who piped up trailed off. Some of the other dolls glared at her.

"Who's Charles?" I looked at her intently. She shifted uneasily back and forth.

"No one...no one." she repeated, as if to confirm to herself that she didn't say anything about the man to me.

"He doesn't sound like no one. Who is he?" I demanded.

"Look what you've done now Hannah." a doll in a yellow dress scolded.

"Well, I think she does have the right to know." the doll donned Hannah said right back.

"But we're not supposed to tell anyone!" one of them whined.

"So!" Hannah protested, "Charles is the Phantom's name before he actually became the Phantom!" she said quickly.

"You..." the yellow dressed doll glared menacingly at her. Hannah looked bashfully at her.

"So Charles is the Phantom, and the Phantom is Charles?" I wanted to be sure I got everything they said.

"Didn't she just say that?" the snooty one rolled her eyes.

"Yes-"

"I hope he just gets you out of here soon. It's going to be a living hell with you here." she sniffed.
♠ ♠ ♠
JOIN THE COMMENT CLUB!!
He he