‹ Prequel: Move

Risk

Hello Again

White covered the darkness. Was I in heaven? I didn't know. All I knew was that I was dead. My mind began forming voices. I did not realize the first voice. I knew the second voice.

"She will wake up though?" Riley's sweet voice said somewhere out of my mind.

I tried to follow that voice; to reach out and grab it. I still only saw white. I couldn't tell where I was. If that was Riley, I wasn't dead.

My eyes opened enough for me to see clearly. I was laying on a bed. My eyes ignored everything else and scanned for Riley. He moved his head towards me and he looked scared.

"Hello." He said calmly.

I looked at him and the pain that was beginning to form in my brain washed away from the sight of him. My mouth tried to move, but no sound came out. Riley looked deep into my eyes as best as he could. His eyes were beginning to cover with wetness.

"Don't speak." Riley said. "You're in the hospital, love." Thank God he was a mind reader. If he wasn't, I probably wouldn't be able to even communicate with him. One million questions began spinning in my head as I remembered everything that happened. Riley touched my hand and wrapped his fingers in mine.

"The bullet was able to kill most of the cells in your body along with the one that held your powers." He explained. Why wasn't he being quiet about this? "Don't worry. It's just you and me in here right now. The doctor just left." Riley explained.

"The others are in the lobby waiting for you, but I hope it's alright if I keep you for a moment." He said. I tried to nod. Riley stopped me by touching my cheek with his hand. "I saved you just in time to heal you myself."

So, Riley saved me when I specifically told him not to. When I was in the presence of my father, I wanted to die. Now, I was just happy to be alive and in the presence of Riley Ackers. Everything else began to rush into my head.

Did the cure work? Was my father dead? Who screamed when I died? Was that Riley or my father?

"Stop thinking, Alyssa." Riley said. "You're giving me way too many questions to answer. I already had to answer the doctors questions which were about one hundred. Anyway, the doctors think you were held hostage by a house burglary and the burglar was some crazed man."

Of course, Riley would come up with such an excuse.

"The cure is working so far. Most of the air in Texas is rid of the cure and the surrounding states are being disinfected as I speak." Riley continued. "Like I said, I saved you just in time, although it was all of us. I got to you and your father, Peter saved Ann, Sam rescued the wrongly convicted protectors, and your brother and sister just helped Sam."

So, where was Ann? What happened to the underground building?

"Ann is in the lobby along with everyone else. Everyone else including Diane and Bria." Riley explained.

What about the whole Sam and Bria situation?

"Well, I'll let them explain." Riley said with a brief laugh. Something must have happened. "Anyway, once I got you out of there, Peter found out he absorbed Brittany/Meredith's power. Well, lets just say the underground hideout went up in flames, which is a surprise because it was mainly dirt and metal. Odd, isn't it?"

My mind stopped thinking about everyone else and I imagined what I looked like. What really is wrong with me?

"Don't worry, love." Riley said. "You don't look so bad. Just a giant cloth on your forehead where the bullet hit to stop the blood. Besides that, you have a breathing tube and an IV in your arm to reduce the pain and you are in a hospital gown. If you hold onto my hand for long enough, I can heal you faster and I'm sure you'll have your powers back. Everything's going to be just fine. Trust me."

I used all of my extra energy and tightened my grip on Riley's hand. I didn't want to be in the hospital. I wanted to be at home with my one true love and we would be making our wedding plans with some help from my true friends. But what happened with Tobey, Eve, and Brittany?

"They left." Riley said. "It's a pity Tobey never really even got to use his power. We didn't even need Eve, we had you all along. I'm sure you could shoot out nuclear material like Brittany does. After all, Peter can now. But, anyway, they went to California or somewhere over there."

Over there? Where were we? Back in New York?

"Yes, we are back home. I flew you here as quick as I could. Peter and the others got here thanks to one of the people they rescued." Riley said rubbing my hand. "The doctors coming."

My eyes slowly began opening more thanks to Riley's helpful touch. I looked around the room. Sure enough, an IV machine and a breathing machine were next to me along with Riley seated on a chair as close as he could have gotten. A huge window was on my right side and it had a beautiful view of the bright city. The cure was definitely working. The curtain on my left side swung open. A doctor in a white lab coat looked at me with a small grin. I could already tell I didn't have my powers. I couldn't even hear him come in.

"Why, hello." He said cheerfully.

Riley turned his head and looked at the doctor. "She just woke up." Riley turned his head back to me and continued rubbing my hand.

"Well, great." The doctor said. "Is she talking yet?"

Riley kept his eyes on me. "No, no talking."

I tried to smile. My lips moved upwards and I could feel the strain. I didn't care, it felt good.

"Well, a smile." The doctor said. "That's good. The medicine must be working somewhat."

"Yes," Riley said. "It must be."

My smile stayed on my face. Our secrets were funny when we were talking to normal humans. Although, I was now human temporarily.

"Well, I'll be back in a few minutes. Tell me if she improves any more while I'm gone. She is healing quite fast." The doctor said.

Riley's eyes stayed on mine and mine stayed on his.

"I will." Riley said.

The doctor moved the curtain again and disappeared behind it. Noise filled the room when he opened the door. The noise once again disappeared when it closed behind him.

"How are you feeling now?" Riley asked.

My lips tried to form a word. I let my smile slide. "Better." I forced out.

"Good. In about a half hour I will have you Alyssa Gray, or Greenwood, again." Riley said.

I took in a deep breath. "In about several weeks you better have me Alyssa Ackers." I coughed as I let out the breath.

Riley's expression turned into pure joy. He laughed under his breath. "I'll be sure to do that." His other hand slid under my hand and he rubbed both sides of my hand.

I leaned my head against the pillow that propped me up. My eyes slid closed and my cheeks rose in a smile.

"Is there anything I can get you?" Riley asked.

I shook my head slowly. I took in another deep breath. "I'd like to see my brother and sister soon." My voice was dry and raspy.

"I'll get them when the doctor approves. Right now, just rest while I work my magic." Riley's soothing voice said.

I shifted my head and looked at him. "What would I do without you?" My voice was slowly clearing.

"Well, you would have stayed in the misery you were in when you didn't know there were other people like you." He said.

"Hmm."

"The doctor's coming back." Riley said.

I looked at him with wide open eyes. I heard the door swing open and the noise of the people I knew. The curtain moved again and the doctor stepped in front of my bed and closed the curtain again. I looked at him. He was a healthy and strong looking man, but he didn't have the same facial looks as our kind did. It was easy for me to tell humans apart now, even if they were good looking.

"Has she said anything yet?" He asked Riley.

Riley continued rubbing my hand and looking at me. "I think you should ask her."

The doctor looked at me. I looked at Riley and then at the doctor. I took in a breath.

"I'm feeling well." I said purposely making my voice raspy so that he would think I wasn't healing by a miracle, which I was.

"That's wonderful." He said with excitement.

Riley turned and looked at the doctor. "She was wondering if she could see her visitors now."

"Sure, sure." He said. "I'll go and get them now."

The doctor disappeared behind the curtain and the noise entered the room again. The noise disappeared and was quickly replaced when pairs of footsteps entered the room. The curtain was pulled away and revealed everybody. They all slowly swarmed around my bed. I looked at each of their faces and smiled.

"Hi." I said in my raspy voice.

Bria and Diane came to my side and hugged me. They quickly let me go afraid of hurting me.

"Of all people," Bria said, "you have to be the one to be held hostage when the world is already being destroyed." She said referring to the lie she was told. "On the bright side, you're okay and the disease is being destroyed. God bless the person who had the cure."

I smiled at the last part. She had no idea. Diane smiled at me and retreated to the other side of the room. Sam took Bria by the shoulders and moved her over by Diane. Ann came over to me and rested her hand on my shoulder. She smiled at me. Peter moved to her side and I looked up into his eyes.

"Thanks." I said to him. He nodded in return with a smile.

Riley continued rubbing my hand and every second I was feeling better. My brother and sister stood at the foot of my hospital bed with hidden smiles on their faces. From behind them, Jack moved over to the side of Riley. Jack set his hand on Riley's shoulder. We both looked up at him. Jack looked Riley.

"Never underestimate this woman." Jack said to him. He looked at me.

I smiled. I wasn't expecting him to be here. I don't think Riley was either.

"I'm leaving in an hour." Jack said. "Take care of yourself, both of you. If I get a wedding invitation, I'll be there."

We both smiled. Riley looked worried.

"By the way," Jack said. "I remember and I don't mind. You did the right thing by me." He said referring to when Riley made him leave our house by entering his brain. Apparently everyone forgave him.

Riley gave a real smile. "Sorry." Jack shrugged.

Ann looked at Peter and then at Bria and Diane. "Well," she said looking back at me. "I think I am going to go to the coffee stand. Bria. Diane, shall we go?"

Diane and Bria nodded. "If you're buying." Diane said.

"Will do." Ann said.

Ann moved out of Peter's grasp and dragged Bria and Diane out the door. I smiled knowing Ann was doing that so I could talk to the others alone. The door closed behind them and I looked at the true protectors.

"So," I said in my normal voice. I shifted my body up straight so I could look at them professionally.

"So," Sam said. "Apparently your specialized cure is working." He glanced at Riley. "He hasn't left since he brought you here yesterday night."

I looked at Riley. "What time is it?"

He smiled. "It's only eleven."

I moved my free hand through my messed hair. My eyes fell on Peter, who was next to me, and to Sam, who was moving again next to Peter.

"So, you settled things." I said to them.

They both nodded.

Peter gave a crooked smile, but didn't look at me. "I'm a fool for even letting her go. It was a miracle when I crashed into her when I was in that underground cave."

Sam looked at me with pure joy in his eyes. "I'm glad you're a woman, Alyssa. Otherwise, I wouldn't know what to do."

I gave a small laugh. "Glad I could help."

Jack moved away from Riley. "Well, I'm going to get some coffee." He said.

"Me too." Peter said. He looked at me. "Thank you."

"Anytime." I said.

They left the room and I was left with the four people I knew I could trust. I looked at my brother and sister who haven't said a thing. Cassidy blew her cover and ran over to me crying. She enveloped me in a giant hug. I hugged her back and rested my cheek on her hair.

"I thought I was going to lose you." Her muffled words came out.

"I told you, you can't get rid of me." I said in her ear.

She lifted her head and looked in my eyes. I gave a gentle smile. Her eyes were tear soaked. I rubbed her cheek with my free hand, brushing away the tears.

"I will never leave you. I promise." I said. "You're one of my diamonds."

Her eyes fell on my necklace that still hung around my neck. I was grateful that, that was the one thing that stayed on me when I was changed into the gown. She gave a brief smile.

"I love you." She said.

Her body curled back up to mine and I wrapped my arm around her.

"I love you too, Cass." I said. My eyes fell on Hunter. "Are you too old now?"

Hunter smiled and moved around the bed. He came over to his two sisters. His arm wrapped around my head and his other arm hugged Cassidy. I looked at Riley and smiled. My right arm continuously hugged my little sister while my left hand clung tightly to Riley Ackers, the love of my life.

Hunter eventually pulled Cassidy off of me. I looked into her eyes and smiled. She smiled back and wiped the tears away.

"I'll bring her back." Hunter said as he moved Cassidy out of the room.

Riley and I looked at Sam. Sam moved over to my once again free side. He looked at me and then at Riley.

"I wanted your guys' opinion." Sam said.

I raised my eyebrows. "Are you getting a tattoo?"

He frowned. "No, it's a little more serious than that."

"What then?" Riley asked.

"I wanted to know if you think it would be okay if I let Bria in on the secret." Sam said nervously.

"Sam," I said. "You should be able to decide for yourself if Bria will keep the secret or if she won't."

He sighed. "I know, but you have known her longer and you are the alpha."

"I could be the alpha or the little drummer boy and it wouldn't matter. Besides, you know her better than she even knows herself. You're her soul mate." I said. "She got herself drunk without me when you dumped her. That takes some serious emotions."

Riley laughed. I smiled and glanced at him. He laughed again. I looked back at Sam.

"If you want my true opinion." I said. He nodded. "Then wait. Wait for the opportune moment."

"How do you know when that is?" Sam asked.

I looked at Riley. "You'll just know."

It was quiet for a moment and then Sam sighed.

"Well, thanks." He said. We looked at him. "I'm going to go grab a coffee with the others. Thanks again."

"No problem." I said.

Sam moved out of the room and the door closed behind him. Riley and I looked at each other.

"How are you feeling?" Riley asked.

I looked at the cloth on my forehead as much as I could. "I think it's time to take this off of my head." I looked at him. "Is the bullet still in my head?"

Riley shook his head. "I took it out myself. Apparently, I can move through things too."

I smiled. "Thank you, for everything."

"Anytime." He said.

"Have I ever told you, I love you?" I asked sarcastically.

"I believe so."

"Well," I said, "I love you more."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah...I have a wild imagination