Just Hate Me and We'll End It Here

Who Bit Your Butt?

Alex

I scratch the back of my neck nervously, watching her. I swear under my breath, shifting my weight. Okay, so maybe I do this sometimes... but I never do anything with married women. Don't plan to- or didn't, anyways.

"This isn't mine," she laughs nervously suddenly, and starts pulling at it. Then she mutters under her breath.

"What was that?" I ask, stepping forward.

"Well, it's obviously yours," she snaps and tosses it at me. I catch it against my chest and look at in, unsure.

"Uh, no. I'm not even in a relationship." I glare at the ring. Well, I had been in a relationship.

"Neither am I," she snarls suddenly.

"Who bit your butt?" I snort, following her as she leaves the kitchen.

"You, whoever you are!" She flings open her apartment door, a hand on her hip. Dang, she looks sexy, wisps of hair in front of her face, that pout on her lips. I can see she's got curves under the clutching top...

I frown, taking a step forward, but then a song starts playing. "Tonight the music seems so loud. I wish that we could lose this crowd-" I turn promptly around, searching for my phone as the song keeps playing.

Where is it?! Gosh, the things I lose... "Aha!" Wait, no. That's not my phone.

"I'll take that," she snaps from behind me, taking the phone. I frown, and look around. The song stopped playing though, and the voice mail is catching it... still on loud, like always. "Mr. Gaskarth, this is Emmaline Stewarts from Wells Fargo. We'd just like to say that your shipment arrived safely in Hong Kong and thanks for-" I run to the bathroom and pick it up.

"Wait!" I yell and wince sheepishly. "Sorry, I- uh... what were you saying? What shipment?" I glance at the girl- Bailey- nervously for a second. She's got attitude for sure... but it's cute.

"Your document, sir." The woman chirps.

"What- I didn't.... I don't recall anything," I say confused and check my watch. Huh, it's late.

"Your certificate, I believe it was. The marriage certificate."

I blink dumbly and raise my eyes to Bailey who heard it too, since my phone is still loud- what? I tend to be around the guys when I answer the phone and they're always so freaking loud. But I'm missing the point. I shake my head. "I'm not sure I know what you're saying."

She sighs. "Sir, you arrived at three in the morning with a friend and a marriage certificate, asking that it quickly be taken to Hong Kong for safety. Wells Fargo takes care of their customers, and we just wanted you to be sure that it had arrived safely."

"Why would I send anything to Hong Kong?" I ask, the motion absurd.

"I believe your words were something along the lines of you wanted to find out if Godzilla would end up eating it, sir." She pauses. "I have a call on my other end, do you mind?"

"Uh, no," I mutter.

"Yes, I do!" Bailey yells, snatching my phone. "It better have nothing to do with me! And go shove your 'other end' on flippin' crap!" She throws the phone onto the bed, huffing.

I glance at my phone mildly. "I don't believe that was the other end she was talking about."

She turns on me, her eyes practically firing bolts at me. "I don't care. That document had better be a joke or at least not have my name on it." She takes a deep- and shaky?- breath, looking away.

I shrug, nodding casually. "I"m hungry," I decide. "Do you have any food?" I run a hand through my hair and without waiting for an answer, I enter her kitchen again. Eh... ugh. This is wheat bread? I make a face, rummaging. "Don't you have any white bread?" I ask, frustrated after a minute.

I turn and she's leaning against the counter on the other side, looking reluctant with her arms crossed, like there's something she wants to say. "Well?" I ask.

"No," she snaps and looks away again.

I roll my eyes. "I kind of got that. Oh, here," I toss the ring back. "Not like I'll ever need it." I watch her, interested as she rolls the ring in her palm, looking at it closely. It's interesting, watching this girl that I apparently now know... "So," I start conversationally, sitting on the counter. "What on earth is so great about that darn ring?"

She eyes me for a minute hesitantly. "Well... it's not minre, I think," she says carefully. She chews her lip and it makes her look all the more... I don't know, actually. Pretty? Too simple. Beautiful? Not right. Sexy? Still not right. Hot? Not right... Huh. Well, first time I'm at loss of words- which really annoys me, actually. Then she speaks up, though, and I'm pulled from my frustrations. "It- it's the ring," she admits. "The one I always swore I'd have... well, you know, if I chose to get married," she quickly rolls her eyes, trying to act casual about it.

"Well then you obviously are married," I say affably, but then frown. "Dang it, you should have told me last night! Then I'd have left you alone."

Bailey lets out a bitter laugh, shaking her head. "I don't plan on getting married," she snaps. "I was there last night cause I just caught my ex cheating."

"Small world," I wink.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
..... SO!!

What do you think? Comment? Banners? Heh....