Letters of Decay

Chapter One.

Kristofer;

Build and empire, burn it down.
I let you break me so many times
My heart is like a ghost town.

I’m through, baby, I’m done.
I can’t keep putting the pieces back together.
There’s nothing I can do but run.

Don’t look for me; I won’t be near.
I’ve gone west, towards the setting sun.
Please, babe, just stay here.

If I said I’d come home, it’d be a lie.
You never wanted me.
And all I did was try.

I’m sorry it had to come to this, darling. I still love you.

Always & Forever,
Alexander.


At first, Kristofer didn’t notice the note scrawled delicately on a sheet of paper. He must’ve read it a dozen times before it actually sank in. He was actually gone this time. Sure, Alex had left before. But he’d leave something close to him just so Kris would know he’d be back. But everything of his was gone: his clothes, his guitar, his stacks of papers and drawings. And of course, it was so like him to leave a break-up note in the form of a poem.

Tears couldn’t even come to Kris’s eyes. He fetched a bottle of vodka from the cabinet and sank to the linoleum floor. He knew this day would come eventually. The couple had been slightly dysfunctional. Kris had an alcohol problem- it made him terribly mean. He, of course, apologized profusely to Alex when he was sober and Alex forgave him every time. Kris took advantage of Alex, in a way. Alex was naïve and trusting. He was too forgiving, too submissive. At 19, the blue-eyed boy thought he’d found a soul mate in a more street-smart Kristofer. After all the abuse, both physical and emotional, Alex was always there. It was slightly sickening to see how Kris treated him. But in his twisted way, Kris loved Alex. He really did.

And that was why Kris wanted to find Alex. He had said he was headed west. Alex had always dreamed of moving to California with Kristofer. “Out in wine country” he had said. “With nothing there except us and the grapes, of course.”

The thought of Alex’s voice haunted Kris. He closed his hazel eyes, letting grainy black and white pictures dance through his head. All of them were about Alex; hitting him, screaming at him, and then making up with him. The images made Kris feel physically sick. The ache in his heart would’ve been paralyzing without the alcohol to dull it. He closed his eyes, and sunk into a drunken sleep. Tomorrow, he thought, tomorrow I’ll bring him home to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
=D

All this is original, and if you steal it, I'll have to kill you.