Forgotten Fueds

Remus Returns

Another year at Hogwarts had begun. Following the dismal summer Professor Snape had had, another horrible year of idiotic students lay ahead of him. As he walked through the long winding passages of the Hogwarts dungeons he tried to think positive, happy thoughts. Anything to take his mind off what lay ahead of him this year.

It wasn't just the students that he despised looking after; it was the new arrival to the staff. Without him knowing, Albus Dumblodore had invited Remus Lupin back as DADA professor, and of course, he accepted. Severus was very sure that people only took the things he wanted in this school just to piss him off. Dumbledore knew he would have given his right arm for that position. Every year it was the same, Albus would hire some imbecile who at the end of the year would decide they couldn't handle the responsibility, and they left. The only difference this year was that it was the second time Lupin had been here, and Severus had that sixth sense feeling that things were not going to run smoothly. Not by a long shot.

He sighed and pushed the door to the Great Hall open. Putting on his best sneer he made his way to the staff table, walking through the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor tables. There’s potter and his sidekick weasly, and the third wheel Miss Know-It-All Granger he thaught. Another reason for Severus to hate his teaching position. He had to put up the Golden Trio endlessly causing trouble.

There was the Weasly boy who for no apparent reason simply turned Severus' stomach. Then you had the Know-It-All, Miss Granger, who for a 100 Galleons, couldn't resist waveing her hand in your face every time she knew the answer to a question. And of course, there was the Lords gift. The boy who lived, the miracle worker, the boy who every day made Severus want to lie in a hole and never come out. Harry Potter. The name alone caused a dull thumping ache over the potions masters left eye. Ever since that little wretch stepped foot inside the school he's done nothing but break rules and cause trouble, Severus complained to himself, don’t see what Albus makes a fuss about. Idiotic Potter boy and his father! Severus took one last chance to throw Harry a death stare before taking his seat alongside the headmaster.

"Good Evening Severus my boy" Albus greeted him cheerfully "I think you should really try this treacle tart"
Ignoring his friends scowl, Albus spooned a large amount of treacle tart onto Severus' plate. Glowering with disgust Severus muttered a thank you, and forced himself to eat the mountain of sugary, honey dripping sweetness. He was never one for artery clogging foods, but from past experiences with Albus at the dinner table, he knew better to just stay silent and accept.
"Have you heard about Miss Granger, Severus?" continued Albus. He was hoping to lighten his potions masters’ mood before bed "Straight marks in all of her OWLS."

Severus gritted his teeth and swallowed what was left of the disgusting gloop in his mouth.
"What else would you have expected from Miss Granger" he commented. "Quite right. She truly is an outstanding student, almost as good as you my boy when you were attending Hogwarts"
Albus smiled down at Severus, a twinkle in his eye. If there was one thing that annoyed Severus more then his students, it was that twinkle Dumbledore always had.

There was just something interfering about it, as if he knew exactly what one was thinking. Numerous times Severus had come to the breaking point of whacking the old fool senseless, but there was something about Albus Dumbledore that prevented someone from harming him. His downright generosity, friendliness and his will to listen to the most ridiculous complaints and problems. Severus didn’t like to admit it, but he actually enjoyed Dumbledores company. Even if he forced fatty foods onto him.

It was only now that Severus became aware of the person seated beside him. Of all the bloody people sitting at this bloody table!his mind raged I get stuck next to the beast. Damn that Albus interfering!
He glared down at his plate wanting nothing more then to get up and leave. However, he knew he couldn't budge until Albus had cleared the tables. He glanced sideways and scowled at the wolf. Nice to know he's eating with a fork he joked to himself.
A smirk crossed his lips and quickly vanished when he saw Remus smiling at him.

"Good pudding isn't it" Remus offered. He gave Severus a friendly smile, hoping to get a response. Severus grunted in reply and turned away again, glaring over at his own table. He spotted Draco Malfoy attempting to slip a firecracker into a first years soup and he quickly put a stop to it. With a swish of his wand, Severus had charmed the firecracker to shrivel up and collapse limply on Dracos hand. A stunned Draco stared up at the staff table and saw his Godfather/Potions master glaring warningly at him. Not wanting to cause trouble after just returning from home he silently went back to his meal.

"Well spotted Professor Snape" squeaked Professor Flitwick smiling annoyingly at Severus "Bravo. Show them whos boss right from the begining"

Severus suspected that Albus had bribed the other teachers into being kind towards his precious potions master, seeing as an old school mate he disliked has returned and taken his dream job. Not that the other professors weren't already kind towards him, Severus just choose not to let on that he liked any of them to much.
"If you don't mind headmaster, Id rather go to my chambers and get a good nights rest" he announced getting up and pushing in his chair. "Good evening, to you all" He said the last part with as much detest as he could muster, simply aimed at Lupin for being annoying. Sweeping down the hall towards the Slytherin table, he gave Malfoy a belt across the head for messing and retreated to his chambers.
"Do you think Severus will ever like me?" asked Remus addressing Dumbledore with a grin on his face.
"Give it some time my friend" Albus told him with that unmistakable twinkle in his eyes "Im sure Severus will eventually leave behind old grudges and seek a friend in you"

Remus hoped so. Over the years, ever since he had left Hogwarts, Remus had always wonderd what became of Severus Snape. He had never seen him on his trips to Diagon Alley, nor when he had ventured down Knockturn alley in the hope of coming across a dark potion to help his transformations. He had hoped that maybe they could put they're old grudges to bed, start fresh and make the best of the time they would spend working side by side. He knew of course that hope was threading into deep waters. Remus never truly forgave himself for what they did to Snape in they're school days. He and The Marauders picked endlessly on Severus for no reason. Maybe they were envious of him and his talents. There was no doubt about it that Severus Snape was a much better wizard then they could ever have hoped to be.

But maybe it was time to become friends. The Dark Lord has been defeated, Severus proved to all those that doubted his loyalties that he truly was on our side. Grimmauld place was still in use. Mainly for Harry. Sirius was always there to give a helping hand whenever his nephew needed it, and he made a home for Harry. Remus lived with them, and the old Order members popped in every now and again. Times were good and a fresh start was in order.
Yes, it was time to settle old grudges.
"Hopefully Albus" muttered Remus staring after the potions master as he left the hall "Hopefully"