Deliberate Distractions

Chapter Five.

“You, stupid,” she couldn’t resist the urge, she pushed past him and walked in with Shannyn and Victor following. “Wow this place is the same; someone needs to get a designer.”

“Do you always have a problem with everything?” Logan asked and rested his hands on his hips.

“When you’re around…yeah,” Brooklyn said and smirked before dropping her bags. She looked around the mansion and sighed heavily. Memories flashed through her mind constantly, but she didn’t let them bother her—or let them seem as if they did. “Why don’t you put some real clothes on? Just the sight of you half naked makes me wanna gag myself.”

“You look nice, Logan,” Shannyn said softly as she walked past Logan, she patted his damp shoulder and smiled as Victor sat their bags down.

“Where’s our room?” Victor asked dryly, he didn’t like being around Logan but he’d do it for Shannyn.

“Outside, under the concrete if you’d like—“ Logan was going to continue but Shannyn cleared her throat and gave him her best if you don’t shut up right now look she could muster. “…I’ll even bring you a blanket and pillow,” Logan finished in a sarcastic, but sweet toned. Shannyn rolled her eyes and knew she’d never really get to Logan.

“I don’t know why I try,” Shannyn’s tone was almost melodic as she started walking up the hallway to the kitchen where she was sure to find someone. “Everyone hates someone I love, its like I can’t win from losing—I think I have no luck at all if its not bad—“

“You can stop whining like a baby any day now,” Brooklyn called out as she followed behind Victor, who she forced in front of her—away from Logan.

“And you can stop talking, any day now!” Logan called out and turned his back on her. “Just the sound of your voice makes me wanna…slit my wrists,” he groaned.

“And how much luck do you think you’ll get with that one, Log?” Brooklyn called out. She, Victor and Shannyn all walked into the kitchen and smiled. Victor’s was more forced than normal. “Hey guys.”

“Oh hey!” Scott called out and hugged Shannyn and Brooklyn. “Glad you decided to…” he started and looked up at Creed. “…stay with us.” Scott furrowed his eyebrows at Creed’s forced smile. “Nice smile.”

“Thanks, I stood in front of the mirror and worked on it all day,” Creed said sarcastically, causing Brooklyn to chuckle to herself.

“That was a good one,” she called out as she turned to Shannyn who was forcibly frowning, she wanted to laugh along with Brooklyn but she hadn’t the nerve.

“Scott, Victor wanted to come with me but I made him promise that he would behave. I need everyone else to behave too, I want to be here without stress, I want to see my family,” Shannyn explained with somewhat of a whimper.

“I agree with Shannyn,” a very wise and manly voice entered the room, looking up; Shannyn shrieked with happiness and lunged to hug Charles Xavier.

“Charles!” Shannyn called out and hugged him tightly. He laughed at her happiness and simply hugged her back. “Oh, it’s wonderful to see you. How have you been?”

“I've been wonderful, my dear. Everything’s been kind of chaotic around the school’s grounds, but, when isn’t it?” Charles asked and chuckled at himself. “So, do you know where you three will be sleeping?”

“Nope,” Brooklyn called out.

“Well, hello Brooklyn,” Charles said with that welcoming smile.

“Hey Charlie.” Brooklyn smiled and chuckled slightly. “How you been, hun?” she asked and hugged him gently, kissing his cheek softly.

“Wonderful,” Charles said and smiled once more. “Ororo, will you please show Brooklyn and the others their rooms?”

“Sure thing.”

“At least someone has manners,” Shannyn called out playfully as she passed Logan, she stuck her tongue out at him and quickly ran, knowing that he would probably reach out and try to grab it just to stop her from doing it again.

“Oh shut up and go find your room,” Logan laughed as he waved them on, he turned his smile away and glared at everyone else in the room, knowing now that Victor was gone with the two girls. “What the hell do we do now?”

“You mean, what the hell do you do now?” Scott asked and crossed his arms. Logan turned to him. “Logan, I hate Victor just as much as you do…but all I’m gonna say is get over it. Shannyn wants to be with him.”

“Yeah,” Logan whispered rather softly before pulling a chair out and sitting down with his cup of coffee Jean prepared him. He took a sip and shook his head. “Yeah,” he repeated—unable to get Brooklyn off his mind.

“Logan?” Jean called out. Logan looked up at her and raised his eyebrows. She pointed at her head, telling him she knew his thoughts. Logan nodded.
“Tell me about it, Jeannie. She’s giving me a headache already.”

“Don’t let it bother you,” Jean knew it was harder said than done but it was easier for her to say it than to know it couldn’t be done at all. “Be happy Shannyn’s back?”

“I’m happy she’s back, but did she have to bring Brooklyn back, it’s like rubbing it in my face,” Logan groaned and rubbed his forehead.

“She didn’t know, she wasn’t around when you and Brooklyn had a go,” Jean said softly, reminding him that he couldn’t blame the innocent.

“Jean, I don’t mean to shock you or anything,” Logan started firmly and stood up. “But Brooklyn and I aren’t really the best of friends. We didn’t get along at the Manor, we’re not gonna get alone here…and Shan knows that. So why the hell did she have to invite---“

“Hey Dipstick,” Brooklyn called out to Logan. Logan sighed heavily and slowly turned to her. “Unfortunately, we’re gonna be a little closer than wanting.”

“What?” Logan asked, scrunching up his face in confusion.

“My room’s beside yours,” Brooklyn said and forced a smile before leaving.
Logan turned back to Jean. “Do you feel my pain?”

“Sure do,” Jean just agreed and took her coffee cup and Scott out of the room, leaving Logan alone in his misery.

“Hey did—“Shannyn stopped when she seen Logan leaning his head against the tabletop. “Are you okay, Logan?”

“I’m fine,” he sat up straight and forced a smile, Shannyn could tell and she noticed everyone did that today. “What do you need, doll?”

“Have you seen Brooklyn? I was going to go ask her a question about one of my bags missing but I couldn’t find her,” Shannyn walked in the room fully and sat down beside Logan, she knew he needed to talk; she could feel it in the air. “But that can wait; you need some friendship circle time.”

“What in the hell is friendship circle time?” Logan looked both scared and amused when he asked her.

“It’s when you sit with a group of friends and tell your problems, we don’t have a group of friends so it’s not really a circle,” Shannyn shrugged. “But I still call it that.”

Logan nodded slowly and chuckled after a second. He sighed heavily. “I’m fine….”

“You’re lying.”

“I am, indeed, but I want you to enjoy your stay. I don’t want you to stress because I’m stressin’.”

“Logan, when I was here you was like my best friend in the whole world,” Shannyn admitted affectionately as she pushed his shoulder with a smile. “I still want to be like that, you have to tell me what’s wrong. Please trust me enough to handle your problems and mine.”

“I always knew you were wiser than your years,” he leaned over and pulled her into a tight hug where he kissed her forehead too. “I love your little words of wisdom.”

“I love your words of smartassness too,” she smiled happily as Logan laughed. “Now…talk,” Shannyn demanded playfully.

“Brooklyn,” Logan stated and shrugged his shoulders. “That’s it.”

“Ah—“Shannyn nodded her head, she knew love and all its battlefields. “Do you still love her?”

Logan turned to Shannyn and hesitated before answering. “I don’t know,” he said truthfully. “I just don’t know anymore.”

“That’s okay Logan, its apart of the journey in learning. You get confused before you find out what it means,” Shannyn nodded and gave his cheek a soft kiss. “Just don’t—don’t be such an ass to her and maybe she won’t be a bitch in return. Caring does go a long way if you use it right.”

“Now your philosophy is just getting on my nerves,” Logan smiled as he watched Shannyn roll her eyes and stand up. “I love you even though, thanks for the friendship circle jerk—I mean time.”

“Asshole,” was all Shannyn said as she strolled from the room, laughing as she went.

“I love you too, Shan!” Logan shouted, feeling a little bit better after his fun little confiding moment with Shannyn. It was suddenly shattered when Brooklyn walked in the room, nonchalantly humming as she went through the refrigerator.

“Do you have anything good to eat, at all?” Brooklyn complained, slamming the door to the fridge with a bit of anger.

“Uh,” Logan grunted and found himself unable to talk to the woman standing before him. He furrowed his eyebrows and raised his trademark eyebrow before standing from the table. Logan walked past Brooklyn and opened the fridge and grunted. “Apparently not,” he said and groaned.

Brooklyn whined slightly. “Alright,” she said and started to walk away but Logan stopped her.

“Hey B?”

“Yeah?” Brooklyn turned around and crossed her arms.

“I uh,” Logan started and rubbed the back of his neck in thought.

“You…”

“I wanted to uh,” Logan started and cleared his throat. “I hope you enjoy your stay,” he said and looked away before returning his gaze back at Brooklyn. Brooklyn furrowed her eyebrows at Logan and slowly nodded. “And…maybe…” he started and looked around the room, almost as though he were a nervous school boy asking the hottest girl in the whole school out to the prom. “…Maybe we can….go out?” he asked and scrunched up his face, in confusion. “You know, for dinner or something.” He forced another smile.

“See y’later Logan,” Brooklyn grunted as she left the room. Logan exhaled deeply and watched as Brooklyn walked away.

“Aw for fucks sake, I’ve lost Victor now,” Shannyn walked in the kitchen minutes after Brooklyn disappeared and right before Logan was about to leave, he sighed and groaned before he looked at her. “Why do you look so pissy?”

“I keep getting caught in the kitchen by women,” in any other situation, he’d be happy to say that. But both women that he was getting caught with had problems, major issues.

“Oh,” Shannyn said and narrowed her eyes. “What happened?”

“I tried to talk to B, but…” Logan started and shrugged his shoulders. “That failed—miserably.”

“How?”

“I asked if I could take her out to dinner,” Logan said in a why the hell I did that, I don’t know manner. “Stupid of me. I don’t even like ‘er.”

“Oh,” Shannyn murmured looking down at her hands before she looked back at Logan; she had no clue what to say. “It’ll be okay, now why don’t you go get dressed and we’ll walk around and you can show me what has changed around here and introduce me to new students.”

“I’d like that,” Logan gave her a smile he saved only for the people he could actually stand before he walked out of the kitchen, leaving Shannyn alone in her thoughts.

“For fucks sake,” Shannyn repeated her most favored phrase as she slumped against the counter. “I’ve been back for twenty minutes and already I feel drained…”

Logan walked to his room slowly and while he did, he checked out the mansion—finding kids talking amongst their friends, chatting on their cell phones in some sort of way, playing a game or just watching a movie. He smirked at the calmness about the kids as he was met with Victor at the stairway. “Hey,” Victor said as he slowly walked down the stairs. Logan nodded.

“Hi,” Logan said and sighed slightly.

“You’ve seen Shan?”

“Kitchen,” Logan grumbled before brushing past Victor and up the stairs—leaving Victor. Once Logan got to his room, he sat down on the bed. His eyes felt itchy and tiresome. He blinked slowly as he yawned. He blinked again. “Five minutes,” he mumbled, and looked at the clock before lying down on the mattress, his feet hanging off the side. 5:10pm. He sniffed, “Just five minutes.”

—Twenty Minutes Later—

“Logan!” Logan shot up and looked around the room and furrowed his eyebrows. He glanced at the clock on his dresser. 5:30pm. “Logan!” He heard again.

“What?!” Logan growled. “The door’s unlocked!” he called out and rubbed his eyes—yawning. The door opened, revealing Brooklyn. He looked up at her and raised his eyebrow. “What?” He asked.

“Did you forget about showing Shannyn around? She might not be very upset about you ditching her completely but I am, don’t lie to that kid when she’s nothing but loving to you. Which honestly, I don’t understand,” with that she walked away, leaving Logan with his mouth wide open as he stared at the door across from his.

“What the hell, B?” it didn’t come out as a whisper, quite the opposite. He didn’t remember Brooklyn Creed so hostile the last time he seen her. “What the hell…?”

Logan left his room in a hurry and hurried after Brooklyn. When he caught up with her, unfortunately, it was in the kitchen where everyone witnessed their anger for each other. “What the hell, Brooklyn?!” Logan called out firmly. “Why the hell do you have to talk to me like that, in my house?”

“It’s not your house, Logan,” Brooklyn said firmly and crossed her arms.

“It sure as hell ain't yours!” Logan yelled out. “Okay, so I lay down and closed my eyes for a moment and accidentally fell asleep! Doesn’t mean I didn’t wanna show Shan around the school!”

“Save it for someone who cares, Logan,” Brooklyn called out.

“Um—excuse me, what’s going on?” Shannyn stepped up between the both of Logan and Brooklyn.

“I fell asleep and didn’t mean too, I was going to show you around. Apparently, Miss Thing over here didn’t like that,” Logan called out as he held his hand out to Brooklyn.

“Brooklyn?” Shannyn called out and turned to her. “There are two sides to this story—what’s yours?”

“I came up to Logan’s room and he’s snorin’ like a bear in the woods! He said he’d show you around the house but instead just goes in his room and sleeps? No, that ain’t cool.”

“Oh c’mon B! Like I would blow Shannyn off! She’s my family!”

“You don’t have a family anymore, Logan.”

“That is not true,” Shannyn shouted, her eyes blazing fury as she stared at Brooklyn. “Logan has a family; he has me and everyone here.”

“Yeah,” Brooklyn smirked as she stared at Shannyn. “Is that why you left this place?”

“No, I left this place because I’m a fool who didn’t know what she had until she lost it. The only thing I got that was anything good from leaving was love, I’m not proud of most of the things I do Brooklyn. But I am proud to say I have more than just one family,” Shannyn said as she walked over to Logan and hugged him, her face lying in the nape of his neck. “I love you Logan, you are my family. Don’t let her words bother you, she doesn’t know what we’ve all been through and survived as, as a family.” Logan wrapped his arms around Shannyn, but kept his eyes on Brooklyn. After Shannyn pulled away, she looked up at Logan. “Logan?” she shook his arm gently—but his eyes were locked on Brooklyn’s.

“After all the shit I’ve been through,” Logan started in a mutter. “You think telling me I have no family is really gonna hurt me?” he asked and narrowed his eyes.

“Go to hell,” Brooklyn said—her throat tightening up with anger.

“Ladies first.”

“Logan,” Shannyn called out again, trying to gain his attention. “Logan, don’t let it bother you. You know how cruel she can be, but that doesn’t make her bad.”