Deliberate Distractions

Chapter Four.

Shannyn smiled and opened her mouth to reply but was bumped gently and almost playfully by Logan. She turned to him, her eyebrows furrowed tightly. Logan glanced at Shannyn before sighing heavily. “Can we get the hell outta here? Please?”

“What’s the hurry?” Brooklyn called out with a smirk. Logan groaned in annoyance and listened as her heavy black Military boots pounded heavily against the ground. She wrapped her hand around the back of Logan’s neck, giving it a slight squeeze.

“I would just like to get away from this place,” he gave her a meaningful look before he looked back at Shannyn. “Please, oh dear Shannyn Elizabeth Summers?”

“It’s actually Shannyn Elizabeth Creed, but sure—I’m not going though,” Shannyn looked from each person looking at her back to Logan. “Don’t be mad, please.”

Shannyn gently placed her arm on Logan’s bare forearm, but Logan pulled away—almost as though it were a viscous liquid, readying to burn his skin clean off. “Don’t—don’t touch me,” Logan called out firmly. “Just the thought of you climbin’ in bed with that son-of-a-bitch, disgusts me,” he said firmly and looked away, closing his eyes.

“Logan…” Brooklyn called out in a whisper, squeezing his arm. Logan pulled away and walked from the group. Brooklyn followed. “…What the hell was that?”

“B, don’t,” Logan called out and pointed at her. “Don’t talk to me like that. Thinkin’ you can get inside my head like you do…don’t. I've had enough. Why don’t you just go back to your people?”

“My people,” Brooklyn said firmly and crossed her arms. “My people? Just what the hell is that supposed to mean!? We’re all mutants—“

“Yeah, we may all be mutants, B,” Logan called out. “But you and Creed aren’t just mutants. You’re fuckin’ animals…and I hate the both of ya,” he growled before climbing into the Blackbird.

Ororo walked to Brooklyn and rested a hand on her shoulder. “I doubt he hates you, Brooklyn,” she said firmly. “I seriously doubt that.”

“I don’t,” Brooklyn shook her head at Ororo and walked back beside Shannyn who was trying her hardest not to cry into Scott’s comforting arms. “Shan don’t cry—“

“I’m not,” Shannyn shook her head and threw a smile over her shoulder to show she was just fine. “I’m going to go visit them in two weeks, would you like to go with me?”

“I don’t know—“

“Come on, we know who you are and what you prefer but that doesn’t mean you can’t come and visit,” Scott said calmly as he kissed Shannyn’s forehead and hugged her one last time.

—Two Weeks Later—

“Um, Shannyn?” Brooklyn called out as she poked her head in the doorway of her and Victor’s bedroom. She saw no one and walked in. “Shan?” she called out and glanced at a picture of Shannyn and Scott. Brooklyn smiled and noticed Logan in the background. Her smile faded and she set the picture back down.

“Hey,” Shannyn called out. Brooklyn jumped.

SNIKT!

“Whoa,” Shannyn called out and held her hands up defensively. “Sorry,” Brooklyn whispered.

SHAKT !

“I just wanted to let you know that…I've decided to come and visit with you—If that’s alright with you.”

“That’s perfect, I need another bodyguard,” Shannyn smiled even brighter than she had before when she seen Brooklyn rather confused look. “I’m taking Victor, he didn’t want me to leave so I said unless he goes with me, I wasn’t changing my mind and he said he would. I have to watch him around Logan, Scott and Ororo. Can you help me watch your brother?”

“Oh this is so not going to end well,” Brooklyn stated but agreed anyway, she’d better see the fight then hear about it, if there even was a fight. Shannyn had pretty good controls over Victor, she had never in her life, seen her brother act like he—gave a damn about anyone besides her.

“Are you going to be okay?” Victor asked as he walked out of the bathroom, a towel wrapped around his lower torso. Brooklyn turned around and sighed heavily.

“What are you talking about?” Brooklyn asked, masking her true emotions.

“Brook, the last time you were at the X-Mansion…you and Logan…” Victor started, but Brooklyn shook her head. “You don’t have to come.”

“I want to,” Brooklyn said firmly.

“I don’t want to know,” Shannyn held her hands out and shook her head; she walked away from Brooklyn and straight up to Victor. She smiled up at his face and wrapped her arms around his damp stomach. “Are you going to be good?”

“If you be good,” he smirked at the underlying meaning in his words, Brooklyn and Shannyn both didn’t know what exactly it meant but they both knew it was something sexual.

“Stop being such a man,” Brooklyn groaned in annoyance as she walked to their bed and sat at the end. “I’m in the room, its gross.”

Victor chuckled and looked back down at Shannyn after removing his gaze from his older sister. “Yes, I’ll try to be good.”

“Thank you,” she smiled back at Victor and leaned up to press her lips against his, after their quick kiss she pressed her lips against his chest and then moved away from him. “Okay so, let’s go get everything done, Brooklyn.”

“But—“ Victor called out, thinking that maybe his honeymoon might not have ended quite yet.

“Bye,” Shannyn spoke as she and Brooklyn both waved there hands as they walked out of the room. “Love you.”

“Love you too,” Victor called out and sighed heavily. “Women—can’t live with ‘em. Can’t live without ‘em.”

—Brooklyn’s Bedroom—

“What did Victor mean back there?” Shannyn asked after a few moments of silence between them. “When he mentioned you and Logan, I mean.”

“Thought you didn’t want to know?” Brooklyn smirked as she put a pair of jeans in her large traveling bag; she threw in a belt and turned to her dresser.

“I did then, now I want to know. Curiosity killed the cat?” Shannyn excused with a simple shrug.

Brooklyn’s smirk faded and her eyes drifted away from Shannyn as she began to speak. “Well, then I guess it’s best the cat left the curiosity in the bag,” she grunted and began to pack once more.

“He broke your heart, didn’t he?” Shannyn assumed.

“No,” Brooklyn said firmly and turned to her. “I broke his.”

“Huh?” Shannyn did a double take of Brooklyn as she folded a couple of her white t-shirts. “Logan? You broke—Logan’s heart?”

“Yes,” Brooklyn was aggravated that Shannyn couldn’t believe it, but then again it was kind of unbelievable. “I broke—Logan’s heart and I knew I would when I did it.”

“How…” Shannyn started but stopped herself. “Never mind. That’s too much,” she said and helped Brooklyn pack the rest of what little clothing she owned. “Can I ask one thing?”

“What?” Brooklyn asked firmly and almost aggravated.

“Did you love ‘em?”

Brooklyn turned to Shannyn and furrowed her eyebrows tightly. She hesitated before answering. She opened her mouth to speak, but closed it quickly. After a quick second, she continued, “No,” she lied.

“That’s all I wanted to know,” Shannyn said softly, she watched Brooklyn move around the room but she couldn’t find it in herself to believe Brooklyn’s answer, she had lied—anyone who met Logan, who Logan was kind and considerate too, didn’t just not love him. They fell head over heels, she had—but that was long ago. Shaking her head of her thoughts, Shannyn walked across the room and forced a smile, she would pretend she believed her, if it make Brooklyn happy. “Let’s go then.”

—Westchester, New York—

“Hasn’t changed a bit,” Brooklyn said sadly and sighed. “This is one summer I’m not looking forward to. Think about it,” she started. Victor and Shannyn turned to her. “The Brotherhood is staying with the X-Men for the summer. How the hell’d that happen?” The others chuckled to themselves.

“Oh,” Shannyn said quietly as she caught both siblings attention. “I didn’t call ahead, we’re surprising them.”

“If I get shot at by anything—“ Brooklyn said casually.

“They will see me,” Shannyn rolled her eyes. “They won’t shoot anything if they see me.”

“They better not!” Victor called out. Shannyn and Brooklyn turned to him—their facial expressions were the exact same. “I’m just sayin’.”

“C’mon,” Shannyn called out and gestured for the others to follow her to the front door.

“You knock,” Brooklyn called out and pointed to Shannyn, Shannyn turned to Brooklyn with confusion written all over her face.

“Why can’t you knock? My hands are full,” Shannyn lifted the bags she was carrying as a gesture to her words.

Brooklyn reached for the door, but her pounding heart caused her to pause. She sighed heavily and knocked the front entrance door of the Xavier Mansion three times. And they all waited. Seconds before Brooklyn was going to turn to Shannyn and bash her brains in for bringing them all the way to the X-Mansion and it is empty, the door opened and a body went zooming past her, enveloping Shannyn in a big hug. “Shannyn, my little Shannyn!”

“Logan!” Shannyn started to laugh, even knowing that Logan hadn’t even seen Victor or Brooklyn. “Logan put me down.”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” he let go and smiled down at her. “I’ve missed you so much and—“that’s when he actually realized the figures beside his little Shannyn and if he had hackles like a dog, they’d be up. “Brooklyn and Victor Creed, what a pleasant—surprise.”

Brooklyn opened her mouth to reply but before she did, Shannyn turned to her and smiled her you better be nice smile. Even though Brooklyn was older than Victor by a couple years and Shannyn by—a little more than couple years, she did as Shannyn requested. “Lookin’ good,” she said and forced a smile.

“Just what the hell are you doin’ here, B?” Logan asked and crossed his arms.

“Comin’ to visit.”

“Why? Who’re you visitin’?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments appreciated.