Status: I finally updated... expect more =)

When No One's Watching

02.

“I, um, sorry, I thought—I assumed Paul would be up here,” I stammered.

The young man in front of me stood well above six feet, his blue eyes smiling in amusement, and a small smirk on his plump lips. His golden hair hung down to his shoulders, the words sexy and messy come to mind.

“Hi,” I dumbly managed to say.

“I see you’ve met Finn,” Paul said, coming up behind me, “He’s the one we just hired.”

A soft “Oh,” escaped my lips, and I looked to Finn again, and then back at Paul.

“Well, I do have to go, so…” I trailed off, pulling out four dollars for the reasonably priced paperback in my hands.

“Sounds good,” Paul mused, accepting the cash and retrieving a quarter for the change. Like usual, I took the change, but placed it directly in the ‘tips’ cup.

“And here I thought you were just a free loader who read the books in the far corners of the store but didn’t buy them,” Finn joked, and I realized that it was him who I had seen watching me. A blush spread on my cheeks.

“Oh, Sam? She’d never do that,” Paul explained with a chuckle, “She’s our most valued customer. She’s like family here.” He finished with a chuckle.

“Yeah, I gotta go,” I said nervously, “See you later, Paul,” I gave a quick wave before hurrying back out into the snow.

I shivered inside my freezing car half the way to Kendra’s house. I really didn’t like the cold, the snow I could deal with, but I preferred not to get hypothermia.

I pulled up to Kendra’s house. It was no different from all the other houses around it, but that’s what we get for living in suburbia. I, in fact, live only a few streets over, in a house not too much different than hers. It annoys me. I don’t want to live in such a cookie cutter neighborhood. I’d rather live in some old house with character, but I can’t complain, I have a roof over my head, and I live a nice, comfortable life.

“I’m here!” I called one I let myself into her house. Walking right in to her house wasn’t much of an issue either, since we’ve been friends for so long.

“I’m in my room,” I heard her reply from up the stairs. Slipping off my Vans, I made my way up the staircase and to her room.

“Hey, what’s up?” I said and I looked about. Everything looked fine, until my eyes landed upon Kendra. She was sprawled out on her bed, staring up at the ceiling. Her eyes were watery, and her make up smudged. I dropped my bag and hurried to her side.

“What happened, babe?” I asked, pulling her into a concerned hug.

“H-he… he j-just…” She started, her blond hair messily framing her face, with a few strands clinging to her wet cheeks.

“He what?” I asked, hoping this wasn’t about Joey.

“H-he was ch-cheating—” This time Kendra broke into fresh sobs. So it had been Joey. Joey and Kendra had been dating for a few months; I had never liked him, but put up with him for Kendra’s sake.

“Shhh, hun, it’s okay—” I started, but she cut me off angrily.

“Don’t tell me it’s okay!” She yelled in hysterics, “How could this be okay?”

“You’re way too good for him, he doesn’t deserve you,” I told her, taking a hold of her by her shoulders, and looking straight into her watery blue eyes, “Give it time, and you will find someone better. I promise you.”

“Uh-huh,” I heard her say shakily. I pursed my lips, and thought for a minute.

“I’ll be right back,” I excused myself, and padded down the stairs to the kitchen, where I grabbed a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and two spoons.

“I brought ice cream!” I cheered as I re-entered Kendra’s room. She smiled weakly up at me, before scooping some ice cream on to the spoon, and meekly placing it in her mouth. I watched as she immediately relaxed one she swallowed the first bite of the Cherry Garcia. The perfect remedy.

“Do you know Will?” Kendra asked suddenly.

“Will Feldman?” I responded, confused.

“No, Will Evans,” She corrected me.

“Yeah, the guy from English,” I mused, “What about him?”

“Well, I think he may be that someone better,” Kendra admitted softly.

“What? Really?” I asked in surprise, “Damn, girl, you move on fast.”

“Well, actually…” She trailed off, looking at me as if to suggest… whoa, no way!

“No, are you thinking what I think you’re thinking?” I sputtered in disbelief.

“Yeah, um, I cheated on Joey with Will a month back,” She admitted, but then she looked at me as if she was waiting for me to scold her. Instead I nodded at her, encouraging her to go on, “But I told Will I couldn’t be with him because of Joey. And Will and I talk a lot during school, and he’s such a great guy…”

“Aww, that’s cute!” I gushed, but what about Joey, do you think he’ll care that you moved on so fast?”

“I really don’t know, but part of me doesn’t even care,” She informed me, “I just want to be able to be with Will, without cheating,”

“You’re such a hopeless romantic,” I scolded jokingly.

“And you’re a dead romantic!” She joked back.

“Where the hell did that come from?” I asked, surprised.

“Since you’re not one for relationships, you’re a dead romantic,” Kendra said proudly.

“Whatever,” I said, shrugging it off.

“Don’t, ‘whatever’ me, Samantha D’Aunno,” She scolded using my full name, before her expression changing to a sly one, “So,” She started, dragging the word out, “Any guys that I should know of that would redeem your self of being a dead romantic?”

“Um,” I said quietly, debating whether or not to tell her about Finn, since it was probably nothing, but the soft ‘Um’ that had escaped my lips was all Kendra needed to prod me with more questions.

“What! Tell me!” She demanded.

“Erg, it’s nothing,” I sighed, “There’s a new guy working at Paul’s, I met him today.”

“Ooh, and then I called and made you leave, I’m so sorry, Sam! I probably ruined your chances with him!” Kendra rambled.

“No, it’s fine, this guy’s in college, so it wouldn’t matter any ways,” I said, giving her a convincing smile.

“Okay, just be sure to tell me if anything happens, okay,” She said cheerfully.

“Mmkay,” I said softly. Even though nothing will happen.
♠ ♠ ♠
This will be the last chapter for two weeks because I'm going on vacation =D
I'll be in Ecuador, without a computer or any way of updating, plus I'll be really busy =)

Thank you all so much for the support I've gotten on this so far. I have 9 subscribers and four comments just on the first chapter. I think that's really great, so thanks ^_^

Peace&Love, Erin <3