Love Like Cyanide

The Savior Named Mark

This isn't happening, this isn't happening, this is not happening! I thought repeatedly in my head.

Derrik's ragged breath brushed against my exposed skin on my neck and shoulders. He held me in a way that made it impossible for me to struggle free but he was still able to yank my shirt up.

"Stop!" I pleaded and without really thinking threw my head back. There was a crack from the impact my skull had with Derrik's face. He cried out and dropped me.

As soon as I was free I scampered across the floor on my hands and knees as fast as I could, as far away from Derrik as I could be.

I looked over at him and saw him crouched over, a hand covering his face. I could see dark liquid oozing out between his fingers. He glared lividly at me. Growling like a dog he stumbled forward.

I eyed the gun next to his feet and leaped for it just as he pounced at me. He ripped out a chunk of my hair in the process of grabbing me. A hand hooked around my neck, making me gag. My fingers reached for the cold metal of the gun that was an inch too far from where I struggled. As I pushed forward it got harder to breath, for the grip on my neck got tighter.

My fingers finally got to the gun. I took it in my hand and pointed it towards Derrik. He immediately dropped me. I backed away from him. My hand shook with the metal weapon in it.

Derrik's hands were raised and his expression blank. We waited like that for a while, until he shouted, "You bitch!" He came at me and I aimed lower before pulling the trigger.

The scream between his teeth was like a whisper compared to the yell of the gun shot.

I quickly got up and ran past him, out of the room. I ran up to my room and got anything that was originally mine and what I packed with me when I first came to this monster's house.

I ran back down the stairs and to the front door.

"Cy...anide..."

I stopped.

"Cy..."

I walked to the room where I had left Derrik. He lay on the ground staring at me, clutching his blood-stained side. I tried to feel so sympathy. He had attacked me for God's sake! And who knows what else he would have done if I hadn't taken action!

Still.

I sighed and grabbed the cordless house phone. I dialed 911.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Someone's been shot," I said. "The persecutor got away though."

"We'll send someone over immediately. Please stay where you are."

I gave the address of the house and hung up. I dropped the phone so it broke. "Goodbye, Derrik," I said, opening the front door and leaving.

It took me a while to get there by foot, but eventually I did, and I was more than pleased to see the light on in the room upstairs.

I picked up a few pebbles and chucked them at the window on the second floor.

The window opened. A dark figure peaked out. The light given off by the full moon revealed his face.

"Cyanide?" he asked.

"Mark! Let me in," I shouted in a hushed voice.

He sighed and closed the window. A minute later the door opened. I ran into his arms just as he said, "You have to be quiet though, the rents are sleeping and aren't keen on visitors."

I nodded in agreement against his chest. That's when the waterworks started. "S-sorry," I stuttered as I stared at his now soaked shirt.

"It's okay...Hey, there. What's wrong? You alright? Come in here." He pulled me against his side into the house. The TV in his living room was on, but the volume off. He said something to me, but all I focused on was the fire on the television.

"I was watching the news a while ago," Mark said. "Looks like the local pub started on fire."

I didn't avert my eyes from the screen. It wasn't until Mark turned the TV off that I looked at him.

"So what'd you do? Sneak out? It's past midnight."

"Well, I wouldn't call it sneaking...But if you don't mind, I'd rather stay here." I sat down on the old, too soft couch.

"What happened?" he asked, taking a seat next to me.

"I...don't really want to talk about it."