Dude Looks Like a Lady

Chapter 13: Learning About Mikey

Whilst Mikey was tickling me, I landed on the floor on my back with him straddling my hips. His fingers pressing into my sides, me squirming on the floor, my hair all messed around and my face flushed. Mikey had sex hair, and was dressed only in boxers, his face hovering over mine.

Neither of us heard the door open and close. Neither of us noticed the four eyes watching us. The brown hazel eyes of Mikey’s brother were ignored, as were the green hazel eyes of Mikey’s best friend. We were so wrapped up in each other and ourselves that they went totally unnoticed until Gerard coughed.

“I hate to spoil the moment, guys, but Mikey missed practise.” Gerard snapped.

Mikey’s head shot up, and his fingers stopped. I wriggled out from under him, blushing, and pushing my shirt down. “What?! Practise doesn’t start till two. It’s only one now!” Mikey shouted.

“We told you last night – we switched it to nine this morning.” Gerard told him.

“And I’d remember, Gee! I was pissed out of my head!” Mikey shouted. I placed a
hand on Mikey’s shoulder and ushered him to his room.

“Who wants coffee?” I ask quietly.

“Oh that’s right – try and get into our good books.” Gerard snapped at me.

Mikey, who had been at the foot of the stairs, swung round and glared at the slightly shorter man, “Don’t you dare talk to Lou like that. She’s done nothing wrong.”

“Mikey – leave it. Go and get dressed.” I tell him, “I’m not bothered. Gerard will grow up in his own time, I’m sure.” I turn to Frankie, “Hello, friend.” I tell him, gathering him into a hug, “You want a coffee?” He nods shyly and blushes.

“Yeah, thanks. I like the hair.” He tells me as I laugh.

“I thought a change would be nice.”

“It’s quite some change.” We walked into the kitchen and I put the coffee machine back on.

“Help yourselves to biscuits.” I mumble, clearing away the cups from earlier. I empty and refill the dishwasher, before looking around for some lunch.

“What was Mikey tackling you for?” Frank asked, inquisitively.

I paused in my lunch making activities to lean against the counter and answer him, “We’ve decided that once you’re on tour we’re gonna behave like we’re not married and get to know each other. But he wanted to know a little about me, now, I guess. So I told him about me, and he asked me some questions. And, uhm, I said The Used were my favourite band when he asked.” I blush and hand him his coffee, putting one down in front of Gerard too.

Frank laughed, “No wonder he tickled you.”

Mikey wraps his arms round me and kisses my neck, “She actually said; that she personally preferred the boys from The Used and their music kicked our asses.”

Frank’s jaw drops and he pouts, “That says a lot about what you think of us!”

“I only know two members of MCR, and I spent ten months with The Used!” I excuse myself.

“Excuses excuses” Mikey teases me. I stick my tongue out and pass him a coffee.

“They are excuses. And poor ones at that.” Gerard chips in. It could have been a joke but for his tone. It was ice cold. He was sneering at me in expression. And his eyes, so warm when resting on his friends or Mikey were snapping and cold. I turn to him and raise an eyebrow, encouraging him. Mikey stiffens behind me. “The first ten months of marriage are the most important ones. And you ditched them for your career. Some wife you are. No wonder Mikey returned to Alicia.”

At that I snap. “I see no wedding ring adorning your hand and I have heard no tell of a wife – let alone a girlfriend, Gerard. So you know fuck all about being married! And I can see why! I wouldn’t marry you if I was forced to! I wouldn’t marry you if it was arranged – the moment I saw you at the alter waiting for me, I’d turn and flee. Forget dating you. I had no choice in my marriage. I had no choice in anything to do with my marriage. I just had to turn up and say the appropriate things. So don’t you bloody dare try and lecture me on failing my husband, because I know. I lecture myself quite enough, thank you.” I don’t raise my voice – I remain icily calm towards him. My blood boiling and my temperature rising – but I don’t let him see. I can’t let him know how far he’s pushing my self control. Mikey senses this and just takes Gerard’s hand.

“Out. When you can conduct yourself nicely towards Lou then you can come back. I’m sorry I missed practise – I’ll be sure to practise with Frank.” He tells him as he forces him to the door. Out in the hall, just behind the door, he pauses and hisses to Gerard, “Lou is six years younger than you, Gee. I’ve not been particularly nice to her – I didn’t have to go and see Alicia again. I’ve felt all these emotions before – she’s an innocent. Hell, she was a virgin!”

I knew the words weren’t meant for me to hear, but I could hear them. Mikey was fighting for me. That was new. No – one ever fought for me. I fought my own battles.

When Mikey said that he wanted to protect me I didn’t think he’d protect me to his own brother. The man he looks up to and respects so much. The man that he loves so deeply, I thought I’d always come second to him. I was happy to come second to him. That was before I knew Gerard. He’d always come across when people spoke of him and in interviews as a nice, charming person. I didn’t want them fighting over me. Now I knew Gerard I wasn’t so sure of my first impressions of Gerard.

I was learning new things about Mikey all the time – he was passionate, loving, caring, childish, protective and playful. He was inventive and kind, as well as calm and soothing. He was something most men aren’t; intuitive and sensitive to emotions. And he hadn’t even told me anything about himself. Other than he’s three years older than me.