The Boys

Chapter 2

Casey stepped off the cross-Canada bus that took her from her old home in Toronto, to this new, strange house in Kingston. The coach bus stopped practically right in front of the Johnsons’ ranch style house, complete with white shutters on the blue vinyl siding, and a wrap-around porch. There was a basket ball net over the garage, a bike that was abandoned on the driveway, and a soccer ball lying in the middle of the lawn. Casey’s parents were unable to make the drive to see her daughter off, as they had to catch a plane very early that morning.

With a duffel bag and her guitar slung over her shoulder, and her rolling suitcase trailing behind her, Casey walked across the street to the Johnsons’ house. With the summer sun shining hotly on her back, Casey rang the doorbell. A few seconds went by until she heard footsteps approaching. The door swung open to reveal a tall, thin woman in khaki shorts. She had shoulder length dark blonde hair, and a few wrinkles around her shining eyes. She had a big smile adorning her face.

“Casey!” she squealed, pulling her into a hug.
“Jeanie!” Casey said back, not matching the older woman’s excited tone.
“My, my, my, how much you have grown!” Jeanie exclaimed. “The last time I saw you, you barely reached my waist!”
Casey laughed nervously.
“Now, don’t mind me! How have you been, darlin’?”
“I’m great,” Casey said.
“We’re going to have so much fun, you livin’ here with us, now, aren’t we?”
“So much fun!” Casey said, not remembering Jeanie being quite this enthusiastic about life. “Is the house always this…quiet?”
“Oh, heavens no.” Jeanie giggled. “Paul is out picking up the younger boys from baseball practice. Jamie is out with some friends right now, and I’m sure Sean is around here somewhere!”
“Oh, okay.” Casey looked around, taking in her new digs. Off to the side of the foyer was a staircase leading upstairs, with a landing and another set of stairs leading downstairs. There was a kitchen straight ahead, and a dining room to the left. “Was there somewhere I could put my stuff down?”
“Oh, of course. Silly me!” Jeanie pointed up the stairs. “We’ve made a room up for you at the top of the stairs, sweetie.”

Casey took the stairs one by one, glancing at the school pictures and family photos that lined the walls. At the top, of the stairs, she took the first door on the left. In this first room, was an unmade bed. On the walls were posters of star athletes, rock and roll Gods, and pictures of cars and motorcycles. There was an electric guitar in one corner, and a desk and computer in the other. She walked to a wall covered in old records and CD’s. Casey fingertips grazed the spines of old Slayer records, as well as the more modern CD’s of All that Remains.

“Ahem,” Casey spun around so fast she thought she had whiplash, and gulped what felt like a rock in her throat. Standing before her was a Greek God. He had a chiseled face, amazing biceps, and tousled blonde hair that hung over his eyes.
“Oh,” she huffed. “Is this your room?”
“No,” he slowly smiled, revealing even, pearly whites. “This is Jamie’s room. Yours is over there,” he pointed across the hall.
“Sorry,” Casey replied, trying to hide her flushed red face.
“No problem,” he replied. “Let me help you.” Casey picked her the bags she had dropped on the floor, leaving the guitar for him to carry. “I’m Sean, by the way.”
“Casey,” she followed him across the hall to her room.
“So, Casey,” Sean said, dropping her stuff at her door. “You play the guitar?”
“A little, yea,” she replied. “And volleyball.”
“Volleyball, eh?” Sean laughed. “We’re more of a soccer family.”
“Oh yeah?” Casey giggled.
“Well, Casey. I’ll leave you to get settled. My room is right beside yours if you need anything,”
“I think I can take it from here,” Casey said. “Thanks,”
Sean smiled and winked. He put on his best Elvis impression. “No problem, little lady,”
As Sean exited the room, Casey laughed. “Well, that was smooth,” she said to herself. She looked around her new room. It was painted a light orange colour, and had flower deco all around the room. The comforter on her double bed was orange and pink flowers, she had a dresser vanity, and a desk with a computer on it. She put her bags on her bed, and unzipped everything.
I might as well get used to living here, she thought, beginning to unpack.

“Kids, time for some lunch!” Casey heard Jeanie call from somewhere downstairs. She froze. I guess it’s time to meet my new family.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kso, this chapter is fairly long, I think. At least, it felt like it when I was writing it.
I'm actually really excited about this story, and I can't wait to keep writing it.
Chapter 3 should be up by the end of the week. I've already got most of it written.
Comments would be greatly appreciated!
Hope you all like it, and hope you subscribe!