Another Hospital Stay

Chapter 20

“Oh, hi. It’s you again,” the same girl from earlier says as she pulls off her hat and apron. “What’s your name? I’m Jenni, by the way.”

“Hi, you off?” I ask, leaning against the counter. “Alexia. I’m guessing Jenni short for Jennifer?”

“Yeah. My shift just ended. And you guessed right. I don’t like my name anymore. Everyone has it, girl wise, everyone has it.” She pauses and looks at me, as if debating whether or not to ask me something. Finally, “So, can I ask you something? I know you don’t know me or anything and this might be personal.”

“Sure, go ahead. Ask away.” I reply, smiling.

“Are you and Ray dating?”

“No, why do you ask that?”

“Oh, I was just wondering. He’s a really nice guy, from what I hear,” she says, pulling her hair tie out of her hair and combing it with her fingers.

“Yeah, he is. So, how long have you listened to My Chem.?” I ask, looking in the mirror and checking my makeup.

“Since their first CD came out in 2002. What about you?” she replies, unbuttoning her white shirt and pulling it off, tossing it onto the floor to join her apron and hat.

“Since a few days ago, actually. I met Ray in the airport the other day when he ran into me and injured my hand. One of the girls out there, I just met as well, since we sat next to each other on the plane ride here. She made me listen to their songs and I fell in love with their music,” I explain, walking towards the bathroom. “Well, I’m gonna go back out there again. I’ll see you around,” I add, pulling open the door before getting an idea.

“All right. See you later.”

“Have you ever met the guys? Seeing as how you’re a huge fan, have you met them before?” I ask randomly, grinning.

She jerks her head up and stares at me. “No, why? I’ve been dying to meet them forever, though.”

My smile widens and I grab her hand, giving her enough time to bend down and grab her things before dragging her out the door.

As we neared the table where all the guys, including Ray, were sitting, Frank says, “You know, Alexia, it’s rude to be dragging people you don’t know around.”

“Shut up, Frank,” I reply. I stop in front of the booth and pull Jenni beside me. “Guys, this is my friend Jenni. You all just saw her when she took your orders. Jenni, this is My Chemical Romance,” I add, introducing her to the guys.

"I know who they are," she replies, looking at the guys with wide eyes.

"She's a fan of you all," I hiss, noticing that they were just looking at me then at her with confused looks.

"We know. I was just…thinking…nevermind," Gerard starts, changing his mind and staying quiet for the next few minutes.

"Well, it was nice meeting you all, but I've got to go. My parents are outside waiting. And seeing as how they're Mexican, they get impatient easily," Jenni says, starting to walk away.

"It was nice meeting a new fan," Gerard says to her, causing her to blush.

"Hey, wait," I say, pulling out my disposable camera. "Come back over here," I add, motioning for the guys to stand up and her to come join us. "Stand in the group and smile."

Her face lights up and she literally runs back, standing next to Gerard and Mikey, who both put their arms around her. I count to three and take the picture before handing her the camera.

"You can keep it," I say, going back to sit down.

"You sure? You don't want the pictures," she asks timidly.

"Nah. They're just pictures from their concert tonight. You said you wanted to be there…and know you 'can' be there. You can have them. It was nice meeting you and thanks for the coffee," I say, smiling.

"Jenni! Your parents just called. They said they're outside waiting for you," I hear someone yell out.

"All right. Thanks, Cookie," she yells back. "I've got to go. Thank you guys." She pulls a beanie on and heads for the door, walking up to a green and gray Eclipse that was parked outside the door.

"She was nice," Gerard remarks, getting up and heading for another cup of coffee.

"Yeah, she was. You're very outgoing, Alexia," Ray adds, smiling.

"I know."