Status: completo

It's A Game, But Who's Keeping Score?

tres

A goofy grin found its way onto Steven Gerrard’s face as I stood speechless in front of him.

“Y-you…uh..wahh…huh?” I mumbled, waving my hands in the hand.

Steven just laughed, “We’ll talk more in the car, let’s just get you out of here.” I simply nodded as I was still speechless in the presence of one of Liverpool’s greatest legends. The realization sunk in when we comfortably pulled away from the airport, thankfully getting away from the paparazzi.

“So how do you like England so far?”

“Well, apart from the paparazzi, I’m loving the chauffeur,” I said with a playful smile.

“Chauffeur?! I’m appalled!” Steve replied jokingly.

We continued to talk about sports related, from the Premiership to tennis to every other sport, we were nearing the soccer stadium when Steven put on his captain face.

“Now I want to get this clear, you’re the first woman in Premiership history to play for a team. You’re going to get a lot of criticism and a lot of media attention. And don’t expect to just breeze by guys when you’re playing –”

“Don’t worry Steve, I did play at Euro. I know how ruthless guys can get. Especially towards girls they think should be playing in their own division,” I said with a smile.

Steve parked the car and turned to face me, “I figured you already know, you look like a smart girl. Now Rafa wanted me to tell you that you’re not expected to practice with us today, but you’re welcome to goof around after we’re done.”

I nodded and we made our way to the pitch, as we grew nearer and nearer the butterflies in my stomach started to claw their way up my throat. It was unbearable, just the thought of coming face to face with Fernando made me want to sprint away in the opposite direction. Luckily, there weren’t too many people out on the pitch. I quickly said good bye to Steve and headed over to the bench. Practice soon started and I could tell right away why Rafa, Toni and Luis picked Liverpool as my destination.

Practice was soon over and Rafa Benitez called me over, as the rest of the team headed towards the dressing room. My stomach was churning as I was completely alone, with no one to support me. I forced a smile onto my face.

“Miss Cortez,” Rafa said with a thick Spanish accent that was slightly comforting. “I want to officially welcome you to Liverpool F.C. It was delight to hear that you accepted our offer.”

“The pleasure is all mine, I was flattered that a club like Liverpool wanted a little girl like me to play for them.”

This earned a laugh from Rafa. “A little girl like you? Miss Cortez, I would hardly consider you a little girl. From what I hear, you pack quite a good tackle?”

“I don’t want to brag,” I said, brushing off my shoulder. “But…”

“She does, I’ve seen it first hand,” a voice said from behind me. I turned around and saw Pepe Reina. I giggled and launched myself into his arms. “PEPE! I haven’t seen you in forever!”

“I know missy, but you’ll be seeing a lot more of me.”

I pulled away and gave Pepe a confused look. Which earned a laugh from him, “You’re going to be rooming with me and Xabi, until you get settled in Liverpool.”

“Great!” I said, linking arms with Pepe. “I hope your house isn’t a bachelor pad, because that’s going to be changing mighty fast.”

Pepe laughed and we continued walking towards the dressing room. We were so occupied by our conversation that we didn’t realize we had walked into the dressing room until we heard a bunch of hoots and hollers.

“Pepe! What do you think you’re doing?!!?! Bringing a girl into the dressing room!?!?”

I stood frozen in the middle of the dressing room, obviously Rafa hadn’t told the team about the acquisitions the team had made the previous day. I nervously looked across the room, searching for Steven to save me. When I couldn’t see him, I panicked. Then suddenly, someone placed their hands on my shoulders.

I turned around to see Steven, “Jesus! Steve! You scared the crap out of me!”

“No worries lads. This is the ringer I was telling you all about!” Steven said enthusiastically.

The team eyed me suspiciously, they had probably heard about me from the Euro Cup; “the girl who abandoned the Spanish team for no apparent reason.” I had heard that label way too often. Or maybe they had heard about me from Fernando, oh god I hope not.

“Is she seriously playing for us?” one person asked.

“Is that even allowed?” another person asked.

“Hey now, hey now. Is that a proper way to treat a guest?” Steven said, addressing his squad. “She is seriously playing for us and it is legit. And I know for a fact that she’s top-notch.”

The team erupted into hoots and hollers (again), and soon crowded around me. The noise was deafening as they were all asking questions at the same time. I felt a smile tug at my lips as I felt truly happy for the first time in a very long time, this felt like home; like family. Then, I heard the door from the showers swing open. Everyone turned around, parting like a sea around me. I couldn’t believe my eyes who stood in front of me.

“What are you doing here?”
♠ ♠ ♠
comments = lovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelove.

:)