Sequel: Streetlights

Stay Close, Don't Go

Chapter 22

“Guys, I already told you, no drinks for me!” I said, for the millionth time that, with a small laugh. Currently, I was fending off SJ and Sam, who both held shot glasses of a cool auburn liquid.

“Just one shot with us,” SJ tried to convince me, “It’ll just loosen yeh up a tad, give yeh the ability to dance. C’mon.”

“SJ I don’t-” She wouldn’t let me finish my sentence. After clamping her hand down over my mouth, Sam walked up and set a shot glass down in front of me, holding up one finger and grinning at me. “Fine.” I gave in.

One shot led to another, and a third, and before long, I was feeling a small buzz from the four I had taken. Finally, I was able to stop SJ from refilling my small glass and disappeared before her and Sam could convince me to get another type of drink. Once lost in the crowd, I started to look for people, Tom finding me first.

“Hey Madison.” Tom whispered in my ear, hugging me from behind. I looked up at him and smiled, letting him kiss me lightly.

I pulled away, still smiling. “Hey you, just the guy I was looking for.” I said cutely, pecking his lips once more.

“Oh?” Tom asked me, smiling back. We kissed again, this time longer than before, while moving our way towards the back door.

Breaking away for a moment, we slipped outside into the less crowded backyard before I was pushed against the wall by Tom. We were both feeling just a tad bit more than tipsy and it was noticeable. Never before had we been this affectionate with other people around. At the moment though, I wasn’t complaining.

When Tom’s hand started to play with the hem of my shirt, I snapped back into reality and remembered why I really needed to talk to Tom. Though the thoughts were all in my head, I couldn’t bring myself to stop kissing tom, instead I pulled him closer.

A random couple walked behind Tom, bumping him drunkenly as they passed. His lips broke from mine for a moment, giving me the opportunity to talk. Now I just hoped that my sentences would be coherent.

I placed my palms against his chest, keeping him far enough to talk but close enough for my liking. “Tom, I kind of wanted to talk about some things with you.” I said, my voice airy.

“Mkay, shoot.” He said, moving away from me to sit on the ground and lean against the wall. I copied his movement.

“What are we? Are we an item?” I blurted out, totally forgetting the fact that I wanted to ease into the conversation. At least this way, there was no way to confuse the point I was getting at.

“Well,” Tom started to say, fiddling with his fingers, “I guess maybe I assumed…” He trailed off and looked up at me, a cheeky smile on his face.

“Assumed?” I questioned, wanting him to fully say it and not make me guess.

“Oh ya’know, that yeh were my girl or somethin’.” He muttered, and looked down. His face and neck began to flush red and a contagious smile made it’s way from his face to mine.

Now, it was my turn to blush. “So you do want me to be ‘your girl’?” I asked shyly, glancing at him. His icy eyes were gazing back.

“O’course,” Tom said with a nod, “That is, if yeh want to, I mean.”

Without a response, I leaned to the side and towards him so I could captured his lips in mine. My answers, while tipsy, are hard to misinterpret.