Sequel: Streetlights

Stay Close, Don't Go

Chapter 4

Friday after school I found myself sitting on a kitchen chair, legs crossed, and staring as my mom leafed through a newspaper. She was looking at the classifieds with a cliché red pen in hand as she circled whatever looked good to her.

“Hey mom?” I asked, breaking the silence. We’d been sitting here for nearly five minutes with neither of us talking. She looked up at me, waiting for me to continue. “Can I go out tonight? Some friends from school wanted me to hang out. A girls night.”

Lying wasn’t my favorite thing, especially not when it was directed at my mom. It wasn’t a total lie, but it definitely wasn’t the truth either. Nervous that she could tell I wasn’t telling the whole truth, I lazily set my head in my hand, trying to play it off.

“I guess that would be alright.” My mother replied, lowering her head to look back at the news paper. “Are they nice girls though?”

“Very,” I responded. I wasn’t lying at all right now. “They seem like the school oriented ones with their heads on straight. I like them.”

“Okay then. Just keep out of trouble.” She instructed. She lifted her gaze back to mine as if to make sure I heard her right. I nodded and smiled before getting off the chair and walking up the stairs.

In my room I had hung a full length mirror on the back of the door. Currently, I stood in front of it and stared at myself.

There wasn’t much I could do to spruce myself up. Maybe a little extra make-up today or something other than my plain shirt filled wardrobe.

Honestly, I don’t know why I was suddenly concerned about looks. It never seemed to matter much, I looked fine without trying very hard, but for some reason I wanted to look better than fine. There was a reason, I just wouldn’t let myself admit it yet.

After changing into a darker pair of jeans and one of those half sleeve baseball tees, mine had light purple sleeves, I walked into my bathroom and stared into another mirror. I applied some make up, a little more blush and eye shadow than I normally would have, and topped it off with chap stick. I wasn’t a fan of lip gloss.

I had just enough time to put on a light scented perfume, run a brush through my hair, and grab my jacket before the doorbell rang. By the time I reached the bottom my mom had already answered the door, Janie and Mercy now in my living room. They smiled at me and told my mom bye before we left the house.

&&

“Yeh ready for this?” Janie asked, a grin plastered on her face. I nodded, knowing I had no choice. We were already parked outside of the Sykes’s house. Now that I thought about it, I wondered which friend of mine had the connection to Oliver and his parties.

“I’m goin’ to try and get into Oliver’s circle tonight.” Mercy piped up as we got out of the car, “He’s so fit. I’d do anythin’ to just kiss him. You’ll get what I mean once yeh see him Madison.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” I replied with a smile, walking a few steps behind them as we approached the house.

“Anythin’ makes yeh uncomfortable or awkward, just let me know. We’ll get out of ‘ere.” Janie reassured me and opened the door to the house.

It was packed inside, wall to wall with people. There was on obvious scent of smoke, alcohol, and that signature smell every home seems to have. Once inside, I looked around as Janie tugged me with her. It was similar to my house,; but then again, most seemed to be similar.

Most girls here looked like they were dressed to impress. Low cut shirts, tight jeans or skirts, and their hair and make-up done flawlessly. My jeans and t-shirt were a bit plain, but in a way, I’m glad I didn’t look like the others.

“Yeh drink?” Mercy asked me, holding out a red cup to me with one of her eyebrows raised. How had she gotten alcohol this fast? Hesitantly, I took it from her and smiled. I’m not a big drinker, but a little won’t hurt.

“Madison,” I looked over at Janie as she said my name. A tall guy now stood next to her, a beanie on his head and his ears were gauged. “This is my friend Matt Nicholls, he’s pretty much rad.”

The Matt guy smiled at me, reaching out his hand. I took it and smiled back, mumbled a soft hello. He returned his attention to Janie, whispering in her ear softly. Within minutes I had a feeling she would be off with him somewhere.

“Madison, see that guy over there?” Mercy whispered in my ear, letting her gaze wander off the crowd. I followed her line of sight and came upon a heavily tattooed guy. He seemed attractive. Mercy whispered again. “Now that there is Oliver Sykes. Fit, aint he?”

I turned my head to look at her, she had a lustly look on her face. Laughing lightly I smiled, “Yeah, I guess. He’s pretty okay.”

“Pretty okay? No hon, he’s the sex.” Mercy said, trying to convince me. She just smiled an all knowing smile, “Yeh just want to get a good look at his brother, don’t yeh?”

Somehow, her and Janie seemed to have it in their minds that I have a little infatuation with Tom, whom I still had never met,not that they were completely wrong. Infatuated isn’t the right word, more like curious. It’s not like I’m obsessed, I just wish I knew why he suddenly won’t look at me.

“I am off to try and score myself some Oliver time.” Mercy said, “Yeh goin’ to be okay by yourself? Make some friends yeah?”

I was going to protest, to tell her Oliver could wait until I could find Janie again, I really didn’t want her to leave me alone in this unfamiliar place.

Something stopped me from speaking up and stopping her though. Soon she was gone and I was left staring across the room, those all too familiar blue eyes locked on mine. Before I knew what I was doing I was walking in that direction.