Sequel: Eat My Heart Out

Skin and Bones

Hospital - the sequel

After I calmed down, I managed to finish answering the questions – all of my answers mumbled into Gerard’s chest.
After I told the officer about it all, he left the room for a little while. In that time, I just held on to Gerard, who held on to me. He kept kissing the top of my head. His chest was vibrating, but I couldn’t hear his words – both of my ears covered by his body. It didn’t matter, though.

Eventually the officer came back and then took me to the hospital.
I felt incredibly self-conscious when he told me to take off my shirt so that he could take pictures of my bruises and injuries, before a nurse could patch me up.
Gerard left the room – well, the curtain. I asked him to. The nurse left too.
My head hung low as I did what the officer told me – raising my arms as much as I could so that he could take his pictures.

Now, the officer is gone. The nurse has wrapped my chest in gaze and helped me get my shirt back on. She’s also cleaned my various cuts and done a ultrasound on the area where my mom’s heel dug into me that one time. I try not to think too much about it – at all.

“I’ll go get your medication.” I nod and fold my hands in my lap – rubbing my thumb hard against the palm of my hand.
“Do you want me to send your friends in?” I look up at her and nod. I don’t even try to smile, even though her smile is comforting and encouraging.
She leaves.

I close my eyes – dreading the loneliness. I’m afraid that my mom will burst through the curtains in a moment and drag me away. I’m not afraid of her punches. I’m afraid of her hatred.

“Frankie,” I hear someone gasp. The voice is so low and breathy that I don’t recognize it.
I do, however, recognize the arms that wrap around my neck. I also recognize the lips that softly and shortly settle on my temple.
I sigh in contentment.

“Hey, sweetie.” I look up and see the rest of the Way family. Mr. and Mrs. Way are smiling sadly, while Mikey isn’t even looking at me. He mainly looks down at the floor – glancing up at my legs and chest a few times. I can easily see the guilt in his eyes.

“Here are your painkillers, Frank.” The nurse pops up from behind Gerard and holds a white paper bag towards me.
“Only take them if normal Aspirin doesn’t do it, okay? They’re very strong.” I nod slowly and take the bag.
I look over at Mikey, who’s now staring consistently at the floor. I have to talk to him.
“And with that, you are free to go. You just need to sign out at the front desk.” I nod. Later – I’ll talk to him later.
“Take care of yourself, Frank.” The nurse grabs my hand. I look up into her soft eyes for a second, before she lets go of my hand and walks away. My eyes pass onto Gerard. He’s smiling softly at me.

Mrs. Way helps me out of bed and doesn’t let go of my arm until we’re at the front desk. Her support is kinda unnecessary, but it’s comforting still.
The nurse behind the desk looks up at me – expecting. I pull my head back slightly – intimidated.

“We’re here to sign out,” Mrs. Way quickly says – stepping forward. I look down. I’m so helpless. I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m lost.

“Name?”

“Frank Iero.”

“I’m gonna need an adult’s signature.”

“I’ll sign it.” I look up at Mrs. Way. She’s looking down at the form – skimming through it – and then she signs it.
I stare at the pen dancing over the paper – leaving behind tracks of ink. My insides tickle.
I watch the paper be taken back by the nurse, who then puts it in a folder and puts it away.
“Come on, Frank. You’re coming home with us.” I look up at Mrs. Way. She’s smiling softly – approvingly.
I smile back, before she turns around and walks towards the sliding doors. Gerard walks close to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kinda poor, I know. My writing sucks at the moment. =S
I shall work on it.
Perhaps a one-shot will appear out of the blue and blow instead of suck...