Sequel: Eat My Heart Out

Skin and Bones

Hospital

My mom storms through the door to my room. I’m sharing it with some smelly, old dude and an annoying little girl who just won’t shut up, so for once I’m actually glad to see my mom.

“Oh, Frank,” she exclaims before she reaches my bedside and hugs me tight. She soon releases me.
“Are you okay, sweety?” She looks me straight in the eye as she strokes her thumb over the back of my hand. She worries too much.

“I’m fine, mom. Just tired.” The worried look on her face doesn’t go away.

“Mrs. Iero?” My mom turns around and faces the doctor. She moves to the side, and then I can see him. White coat. Ugly glasses Uncomfortable-looking clogs. Yep, a doctor indeed.
“Nice to meet you, I’m Dr. Johnson.” He holds out a hand and my mom shakes it. He then holds it towards me.
“Nice to meet you too, Frank.” I grab his hand and shake it. His handshake is firm – too firm. My hand hurts a little when I finally get it back.
Johnson here starts looking through the papers on his clipboard.
“We’ve drawn some blood and had a look at that along with your urine-sample, and it seems that you’re undernourished.” Well, he goes straight to the point, doesn’t he? He’s probably having a stressful day.
“You’re missing a lot of important vitamins and also minerals, such as iron, calcium and zinc. Also you’re weight is a bit lower than for what is normal for a boy your age.” Yeah, and I’m also too tall, right? Idiot. Is he blind or something?

“Well, he was really tired yesterday, so he went to bed without dinner. I couldn’t wake him up. And he didn’t have any breakfast either.” My mom’s babble sounds like an apology. She’s doing everything not to come off as a bad mother. Or a poor one.
“Could this be the reason? I tried waking him, but he just wouldn’t.” I feel a little guilty for making my mom look bad.

“This may be the reason why his iron and zinc-levels are so low, but his large lack of calcium and vitamins seems to be because of malnutrition through a long period of time.” My eyes widen slightly. Can they seriously see that? Can they seriously see that I haven’t eaten a full meal for…
I don’t even know how long it has been since I’ve eaten a full meal.
I look down in shame.

“I don’t understand. I mean. He’s eaten less, surely, but I just thought it was hormones and…” My mom trails off. Then she turns around and looks at me.

“Excuse me, Mrs. Iero, but could I perhaps talk to Frank alone for a minute?” My mom just keeps staring at me. I can feel her eyes on me.
The doctor walks over next to me on the other side of the bed, and finally my mom seems to snap out of it.

“Sure,” she says lowly, before she walks away. The doctor – I’ve already forgotten his name – takes a hold of the white curtain with green and purple spots on it, and pulls it along with him as he walks around the bed. As if it’s gonna help. The smelly, old guy is still gonna be able to listen, and I’ll still be able to hear the little, annoying girl yelling and laughing. I’m never having kids.

“So, Frank.” The doctor sits down on the bed next to me. He looks down at me like I’m some scared little kid – his eyes overly kind and understanding. I glare down at the clipboard. That is until he places it in his lap. I don’t wanna stare at his lap.
“Have you been having any problems lately? Anything that might be bothering you?” I look to the side before I shake my head.
“You sure?” I just keep staring at an ugly, purple spot on the curtain.
“You know, sometimes when people get depressed or just upset, they tend to lose their appetite.” Blah blah blah. When can I leave?
“You’re sure nothing is bothering you?” I nod. He sighs.
“Okay then.” He gets up – his clogs clanking against the linoleum floor.
“Just please start eating more. Take it slow. Just a few more bites each night.”

“Can I leave now?” I look up at the doctor as I ask. He looks a little shocked.

“Yeah. You can. I’m just gonna go talk to your mother, but after that you’re free to go.” I nod.
The doctor walks out the door, and I get off the bed. I find my shoes under the bed and put them on, before I jump off the bed and walk out of the room. I see my mom talking to the doctor further down the hall, and I start walking towards them.

“But isn’t that usually something only girls get?” my mom asks. I walk slower.

“Boys can develop anorexia too. It’s not as common with boys, but it does happen.” My mom looks down at her hands, which she’s rubbing together. I stop walking.
“But it is treatable. Of course it would be best if we tried avoiding therapy, but if he refuses to eat, then it might be necessary.” My mom sighs deeply. Then she nods. The doctor places a hand on her shoulder.
“I advise you to try getting him to eat just a little more each night. Don’t push him too hard. Let him do it at his own pace.” My mom looks up at him and nods slowly. The doctor looks reassuringly into her eyes, before he lets go of her shoulder and leaves. My mom turns towards me. She looks disappointed.
And ashamed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, first of all; ya'll still own my heart completely! I love you!
Secondly, I'd just like to point out that I've never gone to medical school or anything, so what I'm writing here is just what I got out of basic Biology and common sense... Hopefully it seems realistic, so I'm still making you proud... =D (And not ashamed)