‹ Prequel: Baby, We Have Eternity
Status: Last chapter will be posted on Halloween!

I'm Half-Doomed and You're Semi-Sweet

Get On the Inside

A surprised Hanna answered Kira’s knock at the door.

It was a bit daunting for Kira. She’d hardly exchanged more than a few words at a time with this beautifully intimidating vampire, and Pete hadn’t helped the situation; he only spoke to and about her with disdain evident in his voice.

On the other hand, Kira got along with Brendon well enough, and it was evident that the two were devoted to each other. Also, she appeared to be close friends with Patrick, Andy, and Joe, so she couldn’t possibly be as bad as Pete made her out to be.

“I know we’re not the best of friends or anything, but I thought you could help me out,” she said in one breath.

“With what?” Hanna asked in confusion, opening the door wider to let Kira in. She sat on the neatly made bed, and Kira sat on a nearby chair.

Brendon had gone out to hunt, Andy and Joe were training, Patrick was in his study as usual, and Pete was nowhere to be found.

“Patrick-did he mention anything? I mean-”

“He didn’t say much. Just the main things.”

“So you know I was using you all,” Kira stated, ashamed.

“I don’t judge,” Hanna was quick to inform her.

“I just don’t know how to make it up to Pete.”

Hanna sighed.

“He’s stubborn. He still hasn’t forgiven me for, well...” she paused, lowering her eyes as Kira studied her.

Kira didn’t know much about Hanna, besides the fact that she’d been linked to Beckett for a number of years, and then Brendon after he’d successfully staked the leader of the Dandies.

But if Hanna said she wouldn’t judge her, then Kira had no reason to judge Hanna back.

“Just tell him how you feel,” Hanna finally encouraged.

“That’s the thing- I already did. He didn’t…he didn’t even say he didn’t feel the same, he didn’t say anything!” she exclaimed in frustration. “He’s so difficult!”

Ever since Kira had admitted her feelings for him, he’d avoided her. No one had seen him for the past day and night, no one knew where he went. And she knew it was her fault.

“Where do you think he is?” Kira asked, now noticing that they’d gone silent. Hanna looked as if she knew for a split second, but then the look was gone from her face.

“I don’t know.”

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Pete had to get out of the warehouse. He was tired of Patrick, Andy, and Joe trying to get him to forgive Kira, which he had no intention of doing.

The thing was that Pete knew precisely what he didn’t want to do- but no clue as to what he wanted to do next.

Hence, the running from his problems once again.

He didn’t want to talk to her; he didn’t even want to look at her right now.

He didn’t want to fall for betrayal again; he didn’t want to set himself up for another lost cause.

He wouldn’t deny it- of course he was falling for Kira. How could he not?

But that didn’t mean he wouldn’t fight it at every turn.

Although it was small comfort to finally know that she felt the same.

He was back at the cliff he often came to when he needed to think or be alone.

Unfortunately, he could never, ever seem to find his solitude.

“Who’s there?” he called out tiredly. He vaguely sensed another vampire somewhere behind him, hidden by trees.

There was no answer, only a slight rustle of leaves that could pass for wind.

Obviously.

He let out a low huff of breath impatiently, standing up and dusting himself off.

He wandered the dark city until the late hours of the night, knowing perfectly well that he was being followed, and not only by the usual eyes of the resident vampires that now feared Brendon more than they feared him. He managed to take a swift turn into an alley and waited.

He grabbed the spying vampire by the collar as soon as he’d turned the corner, pinning him to the dank brick wall by the throat.

“You! I knew it!” he growled, narrowing his red-tinted eyes. “Why are you following me?”

“Alex- he wants to talk to you-” the black-haired vampire tried to explain through his closed windpipes.

“Right. Talk,” Pete scoffed sarcastically, letting go of his throat. He let him drop to the dirty concrete floor and watched the lanky vampire scramble to get back on his feet.

“Honestly!” the nervous vampire continued. “It won’t take long, it’s not far from here. We’ll let you leave whenever you-”

“I’ll humor you,” Pete interrupted, and the vampire sighed in relief, leading Pete farther into the city, to their hideout.

Besides, this might be his only chance to get some answers, his only chance to get on the inside.

Find out where these vampires were staying.

Find out how they were connected to Kira.

He had no real reason to distrust this nervous vampire, however, he had even less of a reason to trust him.

It’s not like he had a reason to trust anyone at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote the majority of this chapter after I got home from work this afternoon, so any criticism/thoughts are as welcome as ever. Let me know if it sucked or not. : P

Thankyouthankyou: maccaveen, secrets-that-die, Parker Kilgannon, LoveTheLifeYouLive, & manicmonday.