In the Best Damn Dress I Own

A Trip To The Mall

I woke up the next morning with a throbbing headache. Gripping my skull in pain, I walked into the kitchen. Held up by a small magnet shaped like an apple was a piece of paper. I took the small note,and my eyes scanned over the messy writing.

Dear Gerard,

I have a job interview today. I thought about waking you up. Then I remembered that you slept restlessly last night. Well, hope you feel better.

All My Love,
Frank


I sat the note on the yellowing metal of the stove. Sighing, I rubbed my eyes sleepily.

Suddenly, I heard my cell-phone’s annoying ringer start up. I sprinted to where I had left it lye in the bedroom. When I picked it up, I looked at the screen which was displaying the word “Erika” in black letters. I quickly flipped it open, putting the mouthpiece to my lips.

“Hello?” I said into the phone.

“Genna! Do you want to go to the mall with me? We can hit up Hot Topic and Spencer’s!” I heard Erika’s soprano voice ask excitedly from the other line. I felt my chapped lips curl into a smile.

“Of course! Do you want to pick me up or me to pick you up?” I asked.

“I’ll pick you up. Be ready in forty minutes.” Erika told me. I heard a click on the other end as she cut the conversation short.

I ran into the still dark bedroom, realizing that I only had forty minutes to make myself as feminine as possible. Digging through the dresser, I found some really tight skinny jeans that would hide my annoying masculinity. I opened another drawer and found a “Misfits” tee-shirt. I quickly put on my bra, stuffing it with tissues.

When I had successfully squeezed myself into my chosen outfit, I went into the bathroom. I plugged in the plain, onyx-shaded flat-iron. Setting the desired level to twenty-seven, I pulled out my make-up bag from the small, wooden cabinet underneath the sink.

Bringing out my eyeliner, I applied it. I gave myself the cat-eye effect. Once satisfied with the way my eye-liner looked, I moved on to the eye-shadow. Choosing between my array of neons, pastels, and shadows, I finally settled upon black.

When I had finished my make-up, the flat-iron gave a high-pitched beep, indicating it’s readiness.

I ran the flat-iron along my curling, raven hair. When I was done there was a slight rap on the front door.

“One minute!” I called out to the visitor. I ran to the bedroom. I slipped on my tattered Converse and sprinted toward the front door.

On opening it, I found Erika with a bright and cheery smile on her perfectly-make-upped face. She wore yellow skinny jeans and a “Misfits” tee that was identical to my own. On her feet were crimson Nikes laced half-way to the top.

“Well hello there Ms. Erika.” I greeted my friend, smiling.

“Hello Ms. Genna. Are you ready to go to the mall?” She said mall about an octave lower than the rest of the sentence, over annunciating the “a”.

We headed out the door and down the tiled stairs. When we got out to Erika’s shiny, black Volvo, my mouth dropped open in surprise at Erika’s expensive car. She smiled at my reaction, opening the passenger side like I was famous.

When we got to the mall, we went straight for Spencer’s. When we entered the store Erika went straight for the sex section. I stared at her as she skipped around the room like a four year old in a candy store. I headed toward the tee-shirts. I found one that said “I Kissed A Girl, And I Liked It”. I contemplated buying it, then reconsidered when I thought about what Frank would say. I slapped my forehead with my palm for being such an idiot.

When we had finished with our shopping experience at Spencer’s we headed toward Hot Topic. Once inside the store, we both had the reaction Erika had had in Spencer’s. I went wild looking at all the band tees. Erika made a beeline for the accessories.

Once we were on our way home, thirteen shopping bags in all, we started talking about the pageant. We talked about the “twigs” as Erika called them, the dresses, and the judges. She laughed when I told her that the judges could kiss my pale ass if they didn’t like what I looked like. Then she scolded me for being unladylike, using her own amount of profanity.

We finally got back to my apartment building. I started to pull the knob to open my door, but Erika wouldn’t have any of it.

“What do you think you’re doing?” she asked. I turned my head, my eyes responding with a terrified expression.

“Um, opening the door.”

“No you aren’t!” she said before opening her own door. I saw her run around the car before she got to my door. She opened it in haste, extending her manicured hand to help me out of the leather-lined seats.

We started walking up the path to my apartment. I pushed the glass door open, waiting for Erika to try to stop me. We walked up the stairs together and to my apartment. When we got my door I turned to Erika.

“So, why are you treating me like such royalty?” I asked. I saw a sly grin play across Erika’s face.

“Because, I think you’re very, very special.” Erika responded. Knitting my eyebrows together in confusion I looked at my friend. She smiled and leaned forward. Still confused, I didn’t back away.

Slowly, her soft lips connected with my own.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, the story is beginning to become more about erm, Genna's life instead of about the pageant.
I'm just wondering what you guys are thinking so far.
Well, Comment ad Subscribe!