‹ Prequel: The Cullen

Morning Light

British Men, Ha

Its been two months since I left Katie and Edward. I miss them terribly. Right now I’m in Venice. It is beautiful. I went to Fulham, London, England, after I left them. I stayed there for a few weeks. After that, I went to a small town in France somewhere. I don’t remember the name of the place. It hasn’t exactly quiet on my little journey- vampires live everywhere. They are always- I mean always- attacking me. I can’t walk two blocks before one tries to pick me up, like some cheap whore. One almost had me.

“Oh- hey I’m sorry,” said the exquisite British man.

“Oh no, it’s okay. Let me help you,” I said bending down to help him pick up his papers.

“Thank you. Oh gees, I spilt your coffee. Let me buy you another one,” he smiled radiantly. He really was quite stunning. I can’t believe I hadn’t picked up that he was a vampire. I was too dazzled, to use Bella’s words, by him.

“Only if you promise not to spill it on me,” I chuckled.

“Promise.” He took me by my arm and walked to a different coffee shop from where I bought my own. We sat comfortably at a table for two inside the coffee shop. We really did have a nice afternoon. We talked about where he was going in such I rush, and where I was going slowly. He walked me back to the place I was staying at there in Fulham.

“We must have dinner tonight, please,” he insisted.

“Um…” I was hesitant to answer him. I really didn’t know him. I literally just ran into him. I bit my lip and looked away uncomfortably.

“I’ll pick you up at seven.” That got my attention, but he was already halfway down the hall.

“But I didn’t say yes,” I hollered.

“But you didn’t say no either,” he smiled. I smiled too.

I walked inside the little apartment I was renting for this month. I was smiling to myself until I smelled something. It wasn’t me, it wasn’t something I had been in my apartment, at least to my knowledge. Then I smelled myself again. Two smells lingered on me: mine and something else. Vampire. Drake, my date for tonight, was a vampire. I gnashed my teeth together to keep a growl from ripping from my mouth.

Well, tonight I just have to be the perfect date I thought wryly. I dressed most appealingly. For some odd reason I had a strapless black dress. It came a little past mid-thigh. Alice must have packed this for me to wear for Edward. Well, it was never going to be used for him. I applied a little more make-up then I usually use, if I even put on make-up. I put on some death traps- heels. I walked around in them and made sure I could fight in them if I had to, which I probably would.

He was there for exactly seven. I opened up the door and watched his eyes pop. He thought that he might just go ahead and change me. Why waist such beauty? But he quickly changed his mind. He was hungry. I could just make out the red behind his contacts. Honestly, how could I miss that before. I bet it was from me not getting the right amount of coffee.

“You look beautiful tonight,” he said while putting out his arm for me.

“You don’t look too bad yourself,” I commented and took his arm. It’s going to be a fun night.

We went to a quaint, little restaurant a couple of blocks over from his place. I can’t remember the name. I’m not sure if he even said its name or if I even looked at the name. I do remember that it had good food. We had ordered the same thing, but Drake had not eaten as nearly as much as I did. Hmmm.
“Don’t like it or something?” I poked.

“What? Oh, the meal? I can only take so much red sauce,” he replied. Yeah sure I thought. You like something much more rich and lively.

“That’s a shame. I love Italian food.”

“You’re a pasta person. I guess you could say I’m a meat eater,” he chimed. More like bloodsucker I commented only to myself.

“Yeah but a lot of meat can cause men, especially, fatal heart attacks years before they are meant to die,” I quipped. He pondered this for a moment then smiled. “What?”

“You have a little something- right there- on your face,” he reached up with a napkin and wiped it off.

I blushed, “Thank you.”

“No problem.”

“So, Drake, how old are you?”

“Age is just a number. I am three hundred and seventy-two.”

I smiled. I knew he wasn’t joking, so I humored him, “Okay if you’re that old, then how old is your physical appearance?”

“Ahh, the right question,” he chuckled. “My appearance is that of a twenty year old. How old is your physical appearance?”

“Well my physical appearance and my mental age, I assume you can say, is the same age.”

“How old is that?”

I breathed in deeply and made a face, “ Two hundred and eight. I know, I know I look great for my age. I try to keep my looks up.” I laughed and so did he. “Honestly, I’m nineteen.”

“What would say your mental age is, like mine is three hundred and seventy two.”

“Oh, I know a lot, even for a blonde,” I laughed, as well did he. “I would say I know as much as a three hundred and seventy-one year old.” He got my joke.

“I see, well, you know, we old people need our sleep. Bur before I drop you off, I need to pick up something to drop off before I go to bed myself. If that is okay with you?”

“Yeah, sure.” Here it comes. The attack. Well won’t he be surprised.

He drove quickly over to his apartment. His was on the very top floor, of course, and no one else lived on that floor. That could’ve been because it was a huge flat. He bought all the apartments on the top floor to convert all of them into his flat. He claimed he was an artist and needed his space to create. He invited me in due to all the dangers lurking on the streets. Who knows what could happen to pretty girl like me, right? That was his exact words. So being polite, I went with him.

“You can sit down; I’ll be just a minute,” he said as he ran to a room.

He took longer than a minute, so I decided to sit down. I sat there for maybe five or seven minutes before he came back. He was very quiet about sneaking up on me. He gently laid his hand on my cheek and kissed it.

“Sorry,” he muttered. “ I didn’t mean to take so long. I forgot where I put this thing.”

“And what is the thing you forgot where you put?”

“A secret. I have it right here; lets go.” He grabbed my hand and dragged me off the couch. I guess he wasn’t doing it here; unless, it’s a trick. Nothing happened though. He drove me back to my apartment and went through the normal first date things. I had a great time. We should do it again. Blabbity blabbity blah.

I looked into his mind before I stepped out of the car and nothing. No surprise attack or anything. To think about it, I hadn’t caught anything vicious from him at all today except when he picked me up… I try not to- to read thoughts- anyway but sometimes I slip. He interrupted my thoughts.

“Is something wrong?” he asked concernedly.

“Huh? Oh, no. Why?” I asked, confused.

“You’re frowning. Did I do something wrong?”

I sobered up. “Sorry, I was just thinking about something I have to do.”

“What?”

“It’s a secret. If I told you, I’d have to kill you.” I might have to kill you anyway.

“Well, when you decide you don’t have to kill me over it, you can tell me,” he laughed.

I couldn’t help but laugh too, “Okay. Thank you.”

I walked slowly upstairs, I guess not all vampires are bad. He didn’t try to kill me, but his eyes were still red. I now remember what took him so long: contacts. I hate when thoughts slip in. I try so hard to keep them out. But at least I know what took so long. He wasn’t debating over killing me or not. I walked into my apartment pleased; Drake at least tried to not hunt humans even though he finds inevitable.

I tore off my shoes and sighed. It felt good to have those monsters off of my feet. I unzipped my dress and felt more comfortable. I hate dresses. I was about to lay down when I heard one of the front windows click open. I searched the intruder’s mind. Drake. He was hungry. Well, it was nice to muse the idea.

I lied down and pretended to be asleep. He crept up to my bed but hesitated. He was trying to fight the urge, but he couldn’t; he leaned in. The next thing he knew he was slammed into the wall. He looked up disoriented. He looked around and found me standing a few feet away from him.

“I thought old people needed their sleep,” I quipped. “You should really control that urge of yours.”

“What? How?”

“No, I am not a vampire, at least not fully.” He hardened and had me at my throat before I could react.

“I should have known, but you smelled too sweet to pass up.” He threw me across the room. I landed hard against the wall but fell to my feet. “That was why you were so sad. You knew I was coming for you?”

“Actually no. At that time you weren’t planning this at all. You hadn’t thought about it since you picked me up.”

“True, you’re fun. I didn’t want to hurt you, but it’s in my nature.”

We were circling each other now. “It doesn’t have to be. Ever thought about animals?”

“Yeah, I didn’t like it too much. I like it when my food fights back. This is going to be fun.”

“For me, too”

We went for each other at the same time. We flung each other into walls. He kicked me through the wall into the bathroom. I hit him through two walls into the kitchen. He grabbed a pan hit me across the face. It broke at the handle. We grabbed each other. I was on top of him, beating his head in. He was banging me into walls. Then he kissed me, which infuriated me all the more. I hit him so hard that I flew with him.

“What the hell is wrong with you?”

“What? Don’t like it rough?”

“Not when the person is trying to kill me.”

“I won’t kill you.” He walked towards me and kissed me again. Then he started screaming. I guess I was just a little to hot for him as he went into flames. I walked away, bored.