Cosmopolitan Blood Loss.

Chapter 3.

Chapter 3.

The wind broke against the archway of the old Coeur d'Coeurs cathedral, whipping my hair into my face as I added up all the crimes Shant would be committed of, just in time to hear the crash of something solid on wood, repeatedly. The street lamps flickered lazily across the curves of the cathedral as I watched Shant committing his latest crime of breaking and entering with the brute force of his boot. With the thirteenth kick, the door uttered a pained creak, opening slowly on it's huge brass hinges to us and giving a glimpse of it's inner bowels, which wasn't much as there were no lights lit inside.

"I don't think we should go in there..." As always, my stupidity was running rampid. Just an hour ago I was saying, "I shouldn't be helping a vampire...", but I found myself doing exactly that. I was weak in the clutches of Shant; completely powerless. To show it, Shant easily guided me into the structure, an arm wrapped possessively around my waist, even as my brain told me to run the in opposite direction. Even Shant sensed it, his growl rumbling next to my ear with a wave of warm breath, "You wouldn't run..." his arm letting go to shut the door. Impatient as I am, I stuck out my arms in f ront of me in the dark and felt along the wall for a switch, something to illuminate the surroundings.

Shant's voice rang out icier than the air around me, "You're not going to find any light switches. This cathedral was built in 1756, abandoned only a single century later. I think they failed to stick around to install electric lighting." I so wasn't appreciating him mocking me. I was also wondering how he could see me in the pitch dark. Or maybe he was just experienced with people of my "difficulty" as my mentor would say. "But, since it's taking so long for you to adjust your eye sight, I'll go up the north staircase and light the chandelier for you." His footsteps echoed of the stone floors, spiraled up above me until it faded out, my gaze fixed heaven bound. A pin prick of light spread wildly in a circle above my head, flaming in what appeared to be little cups of gas wired on a huge crown of gold to form the most massive chandelier I'd ever seen.

With the chandelier now giving off a decent light, it gave way to just how massive the cathedral was. Above me, five stories up, was the chandelier. Directly in front of me was a massive marble staircase, lain over it was a shabby carpet, probably a rich red back in it's glory days. On either side of the staircase were two statues each, a man and a woman, entwined and holding unlit candelabrums. Directly up the staircase, one flight up, where two mahogany doors, most likely leading to the alter part, and then the staircase branched off to the right, into a set of tiny one person wrought iron steps, spiraling around the circular lobby all the way to the chandelier. To my left and right were two more staircases, less magnificent than that of the first and statue-less. The floors they led to hidden by huge, draped curtains of the same worn red as the staircase carpets. All around me on the floor, the ambiance was ruined by the litter of abandonment; empty alcohol bottles and cigarette packs, falling debris, condom wrappers, broken statues, even a few articles of clothing. All of them brought me back to the realization that I was, in fact, not in some fantasy land with my knight in shining armor in our castle, but with a kidnaping vampire in his abandoned church. How romantic...

"You look tired. C'mon, you'll have to sleep in my...bed. It's the only clean and dry place set up currently. I hadn't expected to acquire any guests." Shant was descending the stairwell, his gaze fixed upon me, taking me in. I only managed a weak frown, hunger and fatigue taking over their rightful place as things that make human life suck, and followed Shant across the main floor to left staircase.

My Chuck Taylors, one thing Shant hadn't dripped blood on, crunched over the debris and almost a rat that scattered from out of a fast food bag. "Ugh, Shant, is this where you live?" I wanted to add an, "Are you kidding me?". But I restrained myself, pushing back the curtain he was gesturing towards. As I went to ascend the first step, my extreme lack of sleep pulled a fast one on me, as my brain shut down for a second, causing me to trip slightly, only to be caught by none other than my "knight". My body wriggled around in his grip as he picked me up, my hatred of being lifted off the solid earth; the act of it always made me feel childish and weak. Still, there was something in me that quieted down at his mere touch. He was so warm, way too warm for a vampire. Weren't they supposed to be cold blooded, you know, cold as death? It didn't really matter anyways, he was warm and it felt extremely comforting even as my annoyance with my feet not touching the ground raged on. But as he held me and ascended still more stairs, the intesity of mine and Shant's body warmth combined started making me more sleepy than I'd ever felt. Not only was he warm, his comfort continued with how tiny I felt in his arms. My petite but curvy stature against this wall of sinuous muscle made me feel protected. And just the way I would stare up at him occasionally and see him look down with a little smile, was just really nice and welcoming after being alone for so long. Especially after moving to the outskirts of Paris almost four months ago, all by myself and I didn't even know a phrase of French. Something about him just made it alright for me to allow myself to fall asleep in his arms. I opened the gates freely to the fatigue as it swamped over me, consuming me, finally leading me into the darkness with Shant's whisper.

"Goodnight Scout."
♠ ♠ ♠
Continuing the REISSUE of this story. If you have previously read this story, many parts will change. Skim through for things you might miss. New chapters begin after chapter 8. Thank you for reading!